• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barret 50 Cal (M82)

Are these legal in MA? I think they are illegal to own as a Boston resident, but otherwise legal.

Anyone know? Not like I have the extra $10K to buy one, but I'm just curious.

Are these legal in MA? I think they are illegal to own as a Boston resident, but otherwise legal.

Not only are they legal, but a 15 year old may obtain an FID so if you raised you kid right you won't have any trouble figuring out the high school graduation present.

Not only are they legal, but a 15 year old may obtain an FID so if you raised you kid right you won't have any trouble figuring out the high school graduation present.

Now to figure out how to pay for it! [thinking]

Back when I first got here (1991) there was a Barrett M82 for sale at the West Springfield Gun Show for (IIRC) somewhere close to $3K. THAT was a missed moment.

I seem to remember seeing a .50 cal barrett semi-auto (I believe the bolt action is cheaper still) for around 7 grand.

It's unclear whether the legislation was ever passed.

Boston passed an "Assault Weapon" ban under an approve home rule petition, however, the M82 50 caliber does not qualify as it only takes 10 rounds. There was a move to ban 50BMG and FN5.7 caliber firearms, however, I don't think that was passed. Corrections welcome.

California passed a law against 50 BMG and Barrett subsequently refused to sell any of their firearms to any California state agency.

California passed a law against 50 BMG and Barrett subsequently refused to sell any of their firearms to any California state agency.

He also refused to repair or service the guns they had and made them send someone to pick them up as he wouldn't ship them back via common carrier.[smile][smile]

Boston passed an "Assault Weapon" ban under an approve home rule petition, however, the M82 50 caliber does not qualify as it only takes 10 rounds. There was a move to ban 50BMG and FN5.7 caliber firearms, however, I don't think that was passed. Corrections welcome.

I don't know if that ever passed, but good luck finding corrections. The only currently published text of law I've been able to find on Boston's AWB is here:

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Massachusetts/boston/chapterxviiifeesandcharges?f=templates$fn=document-frameset.htm$3.0

16A. Firearms, License to Possess Assault Weapon. The fee for a license to possess an assault weapon or weapons in the City of Boston granted by the Police Commissioner of the City of Boston, or his designee, pursuant to Section 6 of Chapter 596 of the Acts of 1989, shall be twenty-five ($25.00) dollars. Such license shall be for five (5) years. A person having more than one (1) assault weapon shall be required to apply for only one (1) license, which license shall be applicable to all of the assault weapons which that person lists with the Police Commissioner, or his designee, at the time of application.

(Ord. 1990 c. 4 § 1)

There's no definitions mentioned that I can find, not even with ATF.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen that link before, thanks for posting it. But I'm saying that as far as an up to date ordinance published in/by Boston, I don't see the definitions anywhere.

Oh, gotcha. I am also unaware of anything more current.

Not to stray from topic but Iv'e always kind of wondered.
Does a place exist in Mass a person could actually utilize the true range of that rifle?

Another typical day with MA firearms laws....

Waltherlover, We have the model 99 in 50 BMG here. We shoot our Barrett's at NB Rifle Range that goes out to 500 yds.

I seem to remember seeing a .50 cal barrett semi-auto (I believe the bolt action is cheaper still) for around 7 grand.

Nope. About $4500 with scope. If you had 10k and bought the model 99 you would have plenty of $ left over to feed it with.
See it here, http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/77239-WTS-Barrett-99A1-kit?highlight=acme

Back
Top Bottom