• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

barrel and twist rate for a .32 Patched round ball pistol

Finally got a solid foundation of tools and my finances under control to the point where I feel comfortable embarking on my first "Real" gun build. I've decided to start with a relatively simple small caliber inline muzzleloading pistol for target and small game use because the materials would require minimal investment and I wouldn't need to source and labor. I was set on a .32 caliber with patched round balls as the projectile. Little did I know how difficult and expensive it would be to find a .32 caliber barrel with a twist rate slow enough. The barrel is the one component I don't have the means to nor am I comfortable making from scratch and the only .32 caliber blanks and liners I can find are for centerfires with twist rates far too fast for use with PRBs or even sabots.

So theres a few ways I can salvage this idea. One is to acquire a traditions crockett .32 pistol barrel and convert it to inline, a process I'm not sure how I would go about, whether it would be worth the effort, and don't really have any desire to perform. The second is to source a barrel from a percussion revolver in .31 or .36 which seems like the most likely resolution at this point. the third is to use a .32 SP or .32-40 liner with a twist rate of 1-14 and 1-16 respectively. Would either of these twist rates for patched round balls produce acceptable accuracy out of a 10 inch or so barrel?

Finally got a solid foundation of tools and my finances under control to the point where I feel comfortable embarking on my first "Real" gun build. I've decided to start with a relatively simple small caliber inline muzzleloading pistol for target and small game use because the materials would require minimal investment and I wouldn't need to source and labor. I was set on a .32 caliber with patched round balls as the projectile. Little did I know how difficult and expensive it would be to find a .32 caliber barrel with a twist rate slow enough. The barrel is the one component I don't have the means to nor am I comfortable making from scratch and the only .32 caliber blanks and liners I can find are for centerfires with twist rates far too fast for use with PRBs or even sabots.

So theres a few ways I can salvage this idea. One is to acquire a traditions crockett .32 pistol barrel and convert it to inline, a process I'm not sure how I would go about, whether it would be worth the effort, and don't really have any desire to perform. The second is to source a barrel from a percussion revolver in .31 or .36 which seems like the most likely resolution at this point. the third is to use a .32 SP or .32-40 liner with a twist rate of 1-14 and 1-16 respectively. Would either of these twist rates for patched round balls produce acceptable accuracy out of a 10 inch or so barrel?

Most of my black powder stuff is 1/48 ?
Try muzzle loaders builders supply..

First...why? [laugh]

I'm wondering if it would not be easier to go smoothbore, as you're using a round ball, anyways?

Why not? Not crazy about the pistol kits offered by TC currently seems like as good an excuse as any to build a muzzleloader, and I came into a heap of 0 buck which is .32 cal. I suppose I could go smoothbore, but I'm not optimistic about the accuracy I'd get out of smoothbore pistol.

Why not? Not crazy about the pistol kits offered by TC currently seems like as good an excuse as any to build a muzzleloader, and I came into a heap of 0 buck which is .32 cal. I suppose I could go smoothbore, but I'm not optimistic about the accuracy I'd get out of smoothbore pistol.

im not so sure the difference in smooth or rifled in a 32 cal ball and patch will be all that great.

if its accuracy from a custom made pistol why not go with a fast twist and a conical style bullet?

Last edited:
im not so sure the difference in smooth or rifled in a 32 cal ball and patch will be all that great.

if its accuracy from a custom made pistol why not go with a fast twist and a conical style bullet?

I was hoping to use the 0 buck shot I got as I already have more rounds of 12 gauge buck than I'll shoot in a year. the 32 being economical on powder was another thing that came to mind when I was sketching up the plans, but I suppose a .32 conical is still using less powder and (and lead should I decide to cast) than a .45 or .50. Twist rates are something I've never really paid much attention to and seem to be much more relevant to accuracy with muzzleloaders than cartridge guns though. Whats the general consensus on twist rates for shooting conicals? I have no interest in sabots. I'm willing to excuse inlines as they already sorta existed, but sabots are entirely too much plastic and retail reliance than I'm willing to put in "primitive shooting". You might as well stick a damn red dot on that point.

What happens if you use a fast twist with a round ball?

Sure, it will be over stabilized, but to what effect?

What happens if you use a fast twist with a round ball?

Sure, it will be over stabilized, but to what effect?

Putting the way back machine to work . Going on memory from early teens with dad and black powder.
Round ball and patch did not seem to have a "huge" gain or loss in accuracy with twist change.
Shooting 50 cal patch and ball we found patch fit and powder charge to be more influence than twist.
I can't remember if it was 1/36,48 or 6? What ever we had on a kit rifle it shot conical well. Round ball did well on lighter powder charges VS the 1/78?
TC we had seem to only need the right fitting patch.
My dad had said once that the patch gets torn to shreds pushing the P&B through a fast twist at higher velocity. His theory was based on very little patch debris to be found down range??
As a kid we assembled lots of those kit pistols and rifles because they where cheap and back then shipped right to your door from Cabela catalog.
My head has me then thinking if I was to build a custom pistol muzzle loader I would want to go with a "easier" to stabilize projectile. Concials where always more accurate for us. Modern sabot loads are great but I see your point.
I have switched to Lee's R.E.A.L. bullet for my 50 cal and love them....wonder if they make a .32 cal lee REAL mold?

Back
Top Bottom