• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ballistic calculator

peterk123

NES Member
Is there a ballistic calculator you guys recommend? In addition to bullet drop and number of clicks (moa and mil), I'd like to know the foot pounds of energy at various distances.

I'm trying to build up a load for hunting that will still have 1500 ft lbs at 350 yards. Thx Pete

I use Nikon Spot-on. Tailored to Nikon optics, but there's nothing that mandates it. You can select just about any factory or specify custom ammo, fine tune velocity, atmospheric conditions, etc. and it will generated a ballistics chart

I have their app on my phone, too.

Last edited:
Look up Strelok Pro. Available for android and apple.you can input your specific scope reticle, bullet weight, velocity, sight in range. I have it and have several different rifle/ammo/scope configurations saved. You can also input wind speed and direction. It’s a really good ballistic app.

Is there a ballistic calculator you guys recommend? In addition to bullet drop and number of clicks (moa and mil), I'd like to know the foot pounds of energy at various distances.

I'm trying to build up a load for hunting that will still have 1500 ft lbs at 350 yards. Thx Pete

Advanced Ballistics (Android)
Strelock (Android)

For interior ballistics / load development:
Quickload (Win)

For mobile? As mentioned above, Strelok Pro if it's still available. It's Russian, so...

If you have time at home to work on the details between skiing, trout fishing, and NES posts on the PC [laugh] - JBM - Calculations
JBM is quite accurate if your chrono data is accurate. I've changed loads and with chrony data and a 100 yard sight in have been in 10-ring at 600 yards. There are a few choices depending on how detailed you want to get.

Last edited:
Thanks all!

@Mountain fortunately I have some downtime due to the lack of snow around here. 😎
The Hornady app works great. Very easy to use.
Use the 4DOF option

It doesn't give foot pounds of energy.
Some additional features are paid $0.99 or $4.99.

SmartSelect_20240108_201907.jpg

Also, look at those nice tactical pictures. How can it not be good. look at the pic again, tell me it is not good.

Last edited:
For mobile? As mentioned above, Strelok Pro if it's still available. It's Russian, so...

If you have time at home to work on the details between skiing, trout fishing, and NES posts on the PC [laugh] - JBM - Calculations
JBM is quite accurate if your chrono data is accurate. I've changed loads and with chrony data and a 100 yard sight in have been in 10-ring at 600 yards. There are a few choices depending on how detailed you want to get.
Bruh ...

New sanctions against Russian interests include the popular shooting apps Strelok and Strelok Pro.

Been looking around for one myself, wanted to start a thread but feared getting flamed incase it's been covered.

Good suggestions here though. I picked up 2 boxes of hornady ammo to try their 4dof calculator but may switch to a different app in the end.

I mostly use StrelokPro and Applied Ballistics

I’ve found applied ballistics to be a little bit more accurate, but the application I have is not very intuitive. I use it when I want to fully flesh out drop/wind data to write on cards prior to confirmation at ranges/matches where I can actually stretch out.

But I use StrelokPro much more often for a whole slew of different gun, barrel, ammo, and optic combinations. It’s close enough to AP for the vast majority of my needs. But, I realize it is hard to obtain these days if you don’t already have it installed.

Shooter ballistic app, pay for but highly advanced features.

Strelok basic , excellent beginner / intermediate app but can only store up to 5 gun profiles

Strelok Pro , pay for and unlimited gun profile database ?

Would someone mind doing a reality check for me?

168 gr bullet. BC g1 .691
2526 at the muzzle

I'm looking for ft lbs energy at 350 yards. I get 1,653.

I just want to be sure I'm doing this right. If this is correct than I'm happy because I wanted 1500 ft lbs at 350. So after this any gains in velocity, while still being accurate is a bonus.

I'm getting this with only 42gr of imr 4895. Now if I could only find an 8lb mug of that stuff. Thx Pete

I like GeoBallistics as well. I mainly use a kestrel with AB but regularly check back with GeoBallistics just for giggles and they are extremely close.

2526 at the muzzle

I just want to be sure I'm doing this right. If this is correct than I'm happy because I wanted 1500 ft lbs at 350. So after this any gains in velocity, while still being accurate is a bonus.

I'm getting this with only 42gr of imr 4895. Now if I could only find an 8lb mug of that stuff. Thx Pete

I got 1641 from Strelok. I’m assuming .308.

2526 at the muzzle

What caliber?

I like that .691 BC.

What caliber?

I like that .691 BC.

Yeah, I thought that seemed pretty high and just double checked. Even the 168gr ELD-M has a G1 BC of “only” 0.523. And 168gr TMK is 0.535.

Yes. Thanks. Close enough. I'm guessing it's temperature causing the slight variance.

You may want to double check your presumed G1 BC. What bullet are you using?

Using the 168gr ELD-M, I get 1447 ft/lb at 350 yards.

Yeah, I thought that seemed pretty high and just double checked. Even the 168gr ELD-M has a G1 BC of “only” 0.523. And 168gr TMK is 0.535.

You may want to double check your presumed G1 BC. What bullet are you using?

Using the 168gr ELD-M, I get 1447 ft/lb at 350 yards.
Thanks. You were right, .523. That makes more sense. Not sure what I was looking at when I saw .691.

So I definitely want to squeeze a little more out of my rounds. I have some at 42.5 and 43 gr made up. Just need a day where temps climb to at least 32. Minus 25 by the weekend here!

The Hornady app works great. Very easy to use.
Use the 4DOF option

It doesn't give foot pounds of energy.
Some additional features are paid $0.99 or $4.99.

View attachment 837019

Also, look at those nice tactical pictures. How can it not be good. look at the pic again, tell me it is not good.
2nd the Hornady 4DOF recommendation and it does ft lbs of energy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240111_213858.jpg
    Screenshot_20240111_213858.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 9
Another nice thing about the free Hornady 4DOF ballistic app is that you can pair it with your bluetooth enabled (LiNK enabled) Kestrel to automatically input your atmospheric data (altitude, temp, humidity, pressure, wind speed and direction). I use it on my iPhone teamed with my Kestrel and a Xero C1 (using ShotView) for a complete ballistics solution.

Back
Top Bottom