Bahamas: Armed Militias Stop Looting, Killing

Reptile

NES Member
IN DORIAN-RAVAGED BAHAMAS, ARMED MILITIAS STOP PEOPLE FROM LOOTING, KILLING
Survivors provide example of why it’s important to have a well-armed populace

In the Bahamas, the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian is proving to be just as dangerous and potentially worse than the storm itself, but armed-militias are attempting to keep the peace.

The Abaco Islands, the worst-hit of the archipelago according to BBC, are allegedly suffering a larger death toll than being reported.

Bahamas Press states, “We are learning that only one police officer is stationed in Treasure Cay, Abaco. A plane landed there and was robbed immediately.”

“We are also learning of reports that, when survivors land in Nassau, they’re being told not to speak about all the deaths and seeing the many dead bodies all across Abaco.”

The UN estimates that 76,000 people are in danger of dying from starvation or disease due to a lack of food and clean drinking water.

Besides starvation, dehydration and disease, violent individuals desperate for supplies are also a threat to survivors on the islands.

An Abaco militia group is seen in the photo below blocking off a road to protect themselves from looters.

In Dorian-Ravaged Bahamas, Armed Militias Stop People From Looting, Killing

Sounds like real piss poor planning by a whole bunch of people who should have known better.....including the average joe on the street.

The Lib-TWITS just want to see it cleaned up before their winter vacations. If we're lucky, it will be a one way ticket for a few of them at the hands of the locals.

The veneer of "civilized society" is so thin, one need not even wear glasses to see through it to the other side.

Yup, Any hurricane has the potential to drift up here and pressure wash and flood the area. In the four or so days it takes FEMA to get their sh*t together a lot of crazy sh*t will go down. "Martial Law", what exactly is that?...... well, it's whatever steps YOU take to protect yourself and family in the time it would take .gov to get off its ass and restore order! And that's going to seem like eternity!

Yup, Any hurricane has the potential to drift up here and pressure wash and flood the area. In the four or so days it takes FEMA to get their sh*t together a lot of crazy sh*t will go down. "Martial Law", what exactly is that?...... well, it's whatever steps YOU take to protect yourself and family in the time it would take .gov to get off its ass and restore order! And that's going to seem like eternity!

Governments hide behind that veneer, posing as the "great authority", which breeds contempt, corruption and tyranny.
The real authority and responsibility of civility resides in the people of any society to do what is right by not infringing on others. When people choose not to abide by that simple rule, civility is lost. That goes for governments too. When they choose to be oppressive, the people have a right to throw off that tyranny with as much incivility as it takes for as long as it takes.

This is exactly when those that built this nation would have wanted an AR-15 and 30 round magazines in the hands of it's citizens..

Yep this is a good point every time some snowflake says what guns have no use in a "civilized" society. What about when things change and things become not so civilized?
Bahamas should be the anti-gun crowd's dream. Complete ban on the possession of handguns by civilians. Most rifles also banned. Shotguns are strictly controlled. A firearms license, which is almost impossible for the average Bahamian to obtain, must be acquired from the police to own even a single round of ammunition. Penalties for unlicensed possession are severe. Guns are available on the black market, however. Bersa .32 ACP and .380 ACP pistols are allegedly the most popular.

Abaco is COMPLETELY destroyed, yet this "militia group" is standing in front of perfectly upright power poles with intact lines, with not a single piece of trash around them?

I hope there really are militia groups on Abaco, but that picture is fake news.

Seems pretty easy to throw stones as an American. Worst case scenario, here in the continental US, people on the coast get hammered and have to move inland for relief. Not really an option on these small island, where the entire landmass is totally devastated and have nowhere to go.

Comparing anything in the US to a small island that got leveled by a hurricane is apples and oranges.

Thats the lesson that too few people seem to be capable of learning despite thousands of years of human history

Bad Things always happen......storms, pestilence, natural disasters and its only a matter of time before you're forced into a situation where you have to take care of yourself

Given the frequency with which this shit happens around the world I feel like there's no excuse for people that live in first world countries to not make an effort to be prepared....

If you dont have at least one firearm, a couple days of food and water and clothing to deal with inclement weather/temps consistent with your area then......you're signing up to be a darwin awards candidate
In countries where the civilian possession of firearms is banned and your only recourse is the black market, you have to balance the risk of illegal ownership (many years in a hellish Third World prison) vs. the likelihood of using it for defense in an emergency.

In countries where the civilian possession of firearms is banned and your only recourse is the black market, you have to balance the risk of illegal ownership (many years in a hellish Third World prison) vs. the likelihood of using it for defense in an emergency.

True, but you'd think people would at least have the wherewithall to have parts for an improvised slam fire shotgun stashed away.....if tons of drugs and other contraband can find its way in, I'm sure a few shotgun shells can.

They don't have the independent will and no warrior spirit. Maybe too much sunshine and fair weather.

Seems pretty easy to throw stones as an American. Worst case scenario, here in the continental US, people on the coast get hammered and have to move inland for relief. Not really an option on these small island, where the entire landmass is totally devastated and have nowhere to go.

Comparing anything in the US to a small island that got leveled by a hurricane is apples and oranges.

Yes, but it happens with such regularity that you'd think things would change over time regarding structure integrity and height, storage of emergency water and food(think bunkers), even to deal with the immediate aftermath.....but they don't.

They don't have the independent will and no warrior spirit. Maybe too much sunshine and fair weather.

I lived in the Bahamas a few years. I can say without a doubt you are unequivocally wrong. Despite popular belief, island life isn’t easy. For instance the power grid is a mess, the supply chain is slow and unreliable, with little to no industry to create hard goods, not to mention most residents don’t have a very good cash flow to buy said items in the first place. Despite all that, people there have adapted and are very accustom to going without and roughing it.

You would think that the Bahamas would have storm cleanup after a hurricane down to an art... I do realize this was a devastating storm but they look like this is the first hurricane to ever touch down there.

Major problem is probably getting things moving again, if I had to guess. You can’t think of things like transportation the same in this case. There are WAY more boats than cars/trucks there and I’m sure the boat population took a massive hit. Unless you want to throw all that debris into the ocean and contaminate what is many locals livelihood, you have to wait till transportation arrives to help clear it.

Despite what people assume, direct-hit hurricanes on the Bahamas are fairly rare. The high point on the Abacos is about 50 feet. I have good friends there I still have not heard from. At this point, it is a TEOTWAWKI for many. There will be thousands, maybe more dead. The idea that people think that this is their fault is nauseating.

I lived in the Bahamas a few years. I can say without a doubt you are unequivocally wrong. Despite popular belief, island life isn’t easy. For instance the power grid is a mess, the supply chain is slow and unreliable, with little to no industry to create hard goods, not to mention most residents don’t have a very good cash flow to buy said items in the first place. Despite all that, people there have adapted and are very accustom to going without and roughing it.

They have a government right? Why has that government not sought to harden things and create a system over the past 80 years to where hurricane clean up is more efficient?
Evidently that government can keep the things in check that they want to but makes little progress in doing anything to mitigate catastrophies.

Despite what people assume, direct-hit hurricanes on the Bahamas are fairly rare. The high point on the Abacos is about 50 feet. I have good friends there I still have not heard from. At this point, it is a TEOTWAWKI for many. There will be thousands, maybe more dead. The idea that people think that this is their fault is nauseating.

I don't blame the average joe, it's their government. Don't throw your emotions onto the heap.

The average joe there should and could easily put away a weeks worth of food and water, its not skid row living there.

Their government is relatively small and (fairly) young. They still have the queen of England on their currency ffs. Realistically it’s probably more of a logistical problem than anything. It wasn’t uncommon to see homes half built due to supply chain issues, and that’s under ideal conditions.
That skid row comment is pure ignorance. On the smaller island I was on you had filthy rich, or dirt poor, with almost no middle ground.

I don't blame the average joe, it's their government. Don't throw your emotions onto the heap.

The average joe there should and could easily put away a weeks worth of food and water, its not skid row living there.
I agree on water storage. And most people that live on islands have water storage, since all those things we love to waste here are not cheap on an island.

But look at their houses, they are GONE. Nothing left, washed away. I am not sure what two weeks of food would have done for the hard hit areas.

Not an excuse to not have food, everyone should, but in this case it looks like it would have been pointless anyway.

Most people in the Caribbean are very poor.

I think some people (not you) have never been to the Caribbean, or have been but never left the resort.

I'm not "throwing my emotions onto the heap." I am concerned about people dying. Sure, they could have put away provisions, as can you. Then sit there for 30 hours of 200 mph winds until everything around you is flattened, including your provisions, automobiles, power sources, and neighbors. How do you know that people didn't prepare but were simply overwhelmed? Yet somehow it's the government's fault? I hope you never have to experience what these folks have, and should you, I hope no one will blame you for not being prepared enough.

upload_2019-9-9_21-31-20.png

I'm not "throwing my emotions onto the heap." I am concerned about people dying. Sure, they could have put away provisions, as can you. Then sit there for 30 hours of 200 mph winds until everything around you is flattened, including your provisions, automobiles, power sources, and neighbors. How do you know that people didn't prepare but were simply overwhelmed? Yet somehow it's the government's fault? I hope you never have to experience what these folks have, and should you, I hope no one will blame you for not being prepared enough.

Seems there's always room, support and money to build another multiple condo unit, but not the foresight or support to build a sufficiently strong system of bunkers to store some supplies and shelter people from catastrophic storms.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results....I'd say that pretty much sums up the situation there and many of the other islands around. They've been ravaged by storms year after year after decade after decade in modern times and still haven't placed a high enough priority on building sufficient shelters and
supply storage facilities to cope with things.....even near term.

I live in a tornado prone area. They are not frequent but they can and do happen. You know what people do when they buy a piece of land here? They put in a storm shelter.....almost first thing......and these aren't people who are wealthy, they are low income farmers and they just realize the necessity of it and do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom