• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Bad" towns for P&R or NFA sign off?

Any towns in southern NH (especially near Portsmouth) that might hassle you with a Concealed Pistol and Revolver license or NFA signatures? I thought I've heard bad things about Exeter and New Boston.

How about the upshot as well - any towns near Portsmouth where you got your license in fewer than 14 days with no hassle or were able to get a CLEO signature for an NFA item without any trouble?

Good question. I've always wondered the same thing.

Something else worth knowing is at least in the case of NFA items, you can walk right around the CLEO anyways with a Trust/Corp/LLC arrangement if you have to.

-Mike

In Lee I got my P&R before 14 days. My dad got his in less than 48 hours. I nor my dad have any NFA items so I cannot speak to that. I suggest avoiding Lee, Durham or Madbury though because the property taxes are high and there are quite a few moonbats.

Haven't heard of any town routinely denying/delaying permits.

Any towns in southern NH (especially near Portsmouth) that might hassle you with a Concealed Pistol and Revolver license or NFA signatures? I thought I've heard bad things about Exeter and New Boston.
People have bad things to say about New Boston because of the court case with MFL, and because Chief Krajenka made his own modified pistol permit application form. Regarding the latter, I've heard of similar issues with Mont Vernon -- chief "strongly suggests" putting down phone numbers for your references.

The only town I've heard of where denial (or even exceeding the 14-day legal timeframe) has ever been an issue is the Greenville case.

People have bad things to say about New Boston because of the court case with MFL, and because Chief Krajenka made his own modified pistol permit application form. Regarding the latter, I've heard of similar issues with Mont Vernon -- chief "strongly suggests" putting down phone numbers for your references.

Weare also asks for phone numbers for your references and they have a sign in the PD saying the permit will take 10-14 "business" days which is against regs. It's 10-14 days period.

I got mine in under 14 days though.

Weare also asks for phone numbers for your references and they have a sign in the PD saying the permit will take 10-14 "business" days which is against regs. It's 10-14 days period.

Did you submit the phone numbers for the references? Weare is one my "candidate" communities. The other is New Boston, but both towns seem to have their issues recognizing peoples' individual rights to keep and bear arms.

As I mentioned, aside from Greenville, I haven't heard of any towns not issuing P&R in a timely manner.

Did you submit the phone numbers for the references? Weare is one my "candidate" communities. The other is New Boston, but both towns seem to have their issues recognizing peoples' individual rights to keep and bear arms.
I don't believe the problems with Chief Krajenka are representative of New Boston, and as far as the permit form and pre-payment issues, they've updated the page on the town site for the pistol permit application, it now links to the official NH form.

It's interesting to note that Goffstown, New Boston, and Weare share resources/infrastructure, including police dispatch.

Sorry Mike, I just saw your question.

I did submit the phone numbers. The detective called a couple of them but just left messages. They never actually spoke to him but Weare PD issued the license anyway.

I think they just call to cover their butts.

Coincidentally, I was at the Weare PD today and Chief Begin did my fingerprint card for my FL CCW permit.

He and I were chatting and I asked him his policy about signing Form 1s and Form 4s. He kind of laughed and said that while he doesn't see a "need" for anyone to own a suppressor, he will sign them. He recently signed one for someone in town.

His policy was that if you have no record saying you couldn't own something he'd sign off.

I don't think he realizes that his signature is at his discretion because he said something about there not being anything in NH state law that says he doesn't have to sign off. I was pretty open with him and said if he wouldn't sign the forms, I'd go the trust route but would like to avoid the cost of an attorney. It wasn't confrontational at all, just the facts. He didn't seem to care one way or the other.

Chief Begin is actually a really nice guy, his thoughts on private ownership of SBRs, suppressors or Class III items aside. He also mentioned being up for re-election in March and said if I'm around he'd appreciate my vote. I joked that we could discuss that after he signed my ATF forms.

The only town I've heard of where denial (or even exceeding the 14-day legal timeframe) has ever been an issue is the Greenville case.

There's this one too.

That could be their misunderstanding of the law, and not malicious. It's an issue but not a huge one IMO.

I too am interested in this.

I have just relocated back to NH after spending 13 years living in Arizona. I caught the NFA bug out there, and am wondering what the difficulty in getting CLEO signoff here will be, or if I will have to go the trust route.

I'm currently living in Wilton, for what it is worth.

It depends on how many NFA items you think you will want. The trust makes it so quick and easy. It also eliminates the need for fingerprints.

I can do all then paperwork for a SBR in 15 minutes now that I have a trust. The biggest hassle is making a copy of the trust to include with the form 1/4.

A guy I know had trouble with a CLEO signoff even though there weren't any laws prohibiting him from owning a silencer. He did a trust and after he got the silencer, sent a nice note to the CLEO with a pic of him shooting the silencer equipped Glock. priceless.

Last edited:
Will Mike Delaney sign NFA paperwork?

If I had trouble with CLEO signoff, I would go to the Hillsborough county sheriff, just to drive home the point that your local police chief doesn't have a right to dis-approve; if your local chief won't sign for political reasons, you have the option to go above his head for the signature.

I'm bringing this back up again to see if anyone has anything more on Nashua Police Chief or Hillsborough County Sheriff signoff. I'm hoping that someone has personal experience in this city/county.

All towns in Hillsborough County have a local PD. So county sheriff doesn't sign. The law also reads that the town selectboard can sign.
The above is true for P&R (carry license), but what about the other half of the question, the CLEO signoff for NFA paperwork? Has anybody tried the Hillsborough county sheriff for the BATFE machine gun paperwork?

I dropped the ATF forms off at the Nashua PD building at the same window that you go to for your pistol/revolver license. I dropped them off the week before Christmas and they were signed off and ready for pickup on the first.

As mentioned earlier in here if you are getting NFA items a NFA Trust is the way to go.

Pros:

No LEO sign off
No Photos
No Finger Prints
Trustees named in trust can have access to NFA Items

Cons:

The cost, about $700

Goldman now offering half-price "Base Gun Trust" option.

As mentioned earlier in here if you are getting NFA items a NFA Trust is the way to go.
Cons: The cost, about $700
Ouch!

There is no way a trust should cost $700; many gun owners are using NFA trusts generated with a $20 piece of software, so where's the added $680 value in going through Goldman (aka Apple law firm aka Gun Trust Lawyer)?

I think David M. Goldman has either realized this, and the hints that ATF may be changing the rules (no CLEO signoff, fingerprints unavoidable); he is now offering a half-price "Base gun trust" for us frugal Yankees.

Waking this up in light of the 8/29/2013 EO, which at this time does not seem to be posted on the appropriate .gov sites. Here is the AP article.
Powers limited, Obama, Biden seek action on guns
The Obama administration is also proposing a federal rule to stop those who would be ineligible to pass a background check from skirting the law by registering a gun to a corporation or trust. The new rule would require people associated with those entities, like beneficiaries and trustees, to undergo the same type of fingerprint-based background checks as individuals if they want to register guns.

I was considering an NFA trust prior to the announcement and am now trying to assess the damage caused by the EO, which of course is dependent on CLEO sign-off in my town.

The 8/29/2013 EOs should appear here:
2013 Executive Orders Signed by Barack Obama
https://www.federalregister.gov/executive-orders/barack-obama/2013
Executive Orders | The White House

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom