Backpack = Concealed?

JRT

NES Member
I think I know the answer to this question but I figured I would ask and hopefully surprised. I'm going to do some hiking and camping along the Appalachian trail this week and I often toss my Alaskan in my backpack. I do not have a NH Non res permit. In the very unlikely scenario if I was stopped by a game warden or something is a gun in a backpack considered concealed? I know I could always OC it but it can get uncomfortable at times.

Can't answer your question. But you're not gonna do anything that would end up with your backpack getting searched by the Fuzz, right? So...

Can't answer your question. But you're not gonna do anything that would end up with your backpack getting searched by the Fuzz, right? So...

The plan is to drink a little bourbon at night but otherwise stay under the radar of the local PD. I should just get an NH license, I've been saying this for 20 years.

Hard to claim that inside a backpack would not count as "concealed about one's person". Stick with open carry, or unload it.

Hard to claim that inside a backpack would not count as "concealed about one's person". Stick with open carry, or unload it.

I could unload it, I think that's the plan. I only scare the shit out of myself at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your backpack that revolver is just a ****ing brick anyway wether its loaded or not. Just unload it and stuff it if you don't plan to open carry it.

I know I could always OC it but it can get uncomfortable at times.

It's been said a million times: Carrying a firearm is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. [wink]

I have done a lot of hiking with an all steel Gov't 1911 so I know what you mean about it becoming cumbersome. For me, its not the weight that bugs me but the position of it on my hip where after really long all-day hikes it starts to dig in/ shift around/ contact the backpack, etc...

I've hiked with it on my hip in a IWB holster, with a OWB holster, and ultimately I found that using my cheapest IWB holster, a leather Don Hume, and strapping it to my chest using the chest straps of my backpack is the most comfortable. This is mostly hiking in MA of course, so I tuck my hat over it when I am approaching other hikers just so I don't scare the sheep shitless. In NH I would do the same without feeling the need to cover it up of course.

I am sure you can find a nice shoulder holster for that Ruger. I would not carry my gun in a backpack if I were hiking in places where large animals that could f*ck me up badly could be lurking.

To be within the bounds of the law, it will need to be unloaded. That means no rounds in the cylinder. They can be on top of the cylinder, in the same pocket as the pistol, etc. in a clip that's in the same pocket of the pistol, etc. and you'll be fine per letter of the law.

If you want to carry it loaded on your person, it needs to be carried openly. And don't forget to remove the rounds from the cylinder prior to entering a motor vehicle.

Yes, if loaded, you would need a P&R. If unloaded, good to go. If you wish, just open carry. The weight off your back and on your waist might help offset the discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom