• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

carrying and motorcycles. at what point does open carry turn into concealed

so as not to take the satehouse gathering thread off topic... for us bike riders, at what point does open carry turn into concealed carry.

now i have no nh p&r (dont head up north nearly enough, hell barely get out of w.mass)

i know once i hit the nh border or even just before, i should take out my mag and empty the chamber and continue on. i know once off the bike i can load up and open carry.
now if i'm getting ready to leave or just parked the bike, its off and key out of the ignition, before getting off the bike can i load up and in the reverse, bike off key not in yet,
unload, then finish getting ready to leave.

or should i just do it all off the bike to avoid a gray area?

here is another bike related question - while my bike is parked, it is not uncommon for me to put the left rear peg down and sit side-saddle with foot on the peg. good example would be
stopping in keene by what ever university that is, stopping and getting a soft serve cone or shake or whatever they sell (though aint been up there in a few years now) me and my friends would
be gathered around where we parked a few sitting side- saddle on our bikes. all off , keys out.... if we were carrying would open or ccw rules be applied?

Seriously?

It isn't hard. If you are on the bike, you are on the bike. It doesn't matter if the bike is on its side in a ditch, with you laying on top, you are on the bike (or under it for that matter). Or take the key and throw them in the bushes and hang on the handle bars, you are on the bike. You MA folk always want to make things as hard as possible. [rolleyes]

Seriously?

It isn't hard. If you are on the bike, you are on the bike. It doesn't matter if the bike is on its side in a ditch, with you laying on top, you are on the bike (or under it for that matter). Or take the key and throw them in the bushes and hang on the handle bars, you are on the bike. You MA folk always want to make things as hard as possible. [rolleyes]

My man is talking about coming up to help us, and while I get just as annoyed with the "if I fart while facing the east, am I breaking the law" threads, we aught to be bit more welcoming.

OP, I don't know the answer because I don't motorcycle, but I wouldn't over think it. Just be casual and look like you own the place, no one will bat an eye at you.

If you come through Vermont on your way through to NH don't use that thing as a pointer. It's illegal to use your pistol as a pointer in Vermont!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ride, but almost never open carry, and before I got my Maine LTC, this question crossed my mind(though not in such a convoluted manner). That was the end of my worries. I just did it. I'll agree with Ed here, and don't worry about it, just do it. Look at the absolute worst case (barring the commission of a felony whilst carrying)....you've got a misdemeanor on your hands that you could probably talk down to a civil fine because you're in NH, not Ma. I understand the concern, but at some point you've got to let it hang out there a little bit.

Just to add, I see dudes on bikes with MA plates riding through Portsmouth with pistols on their hips all the time.

Just to add, I see dudes on bikes with MA plates riding through Portsmouth with pistols on their hips all the time.

so they either have their p&r or dont know/care about the law....

as the the seriously comment.... come live in ma for a while where open carry is legal and will get you arrested at the same time or read all the asine gun laws we have....

son on the bike if on or off the bike if off.... ok sitting on the hood of your car is then considered concealed carry then.... (i know it wouldn't but see where this is going).
i like to sit sidesaddle on my bike when parked as it makes a nice handy chair. i'm fairly confident i wouldn't be bothered by a leo for leaving it loaded and oc'in while doing so.
however it only takes 1 on a power trip after an sheeple-anti's call to go full retard. (and yes having lived in the PRM all my life... it takes a bit to let freedom sink in, due to the stupidity of
the laws down here being ingrained so as not to trip up for perfectly legal things one can do else where)

so they either have their p&r or dont know/care about the law....

as the the seriously comment.... come live in ma for a while where open carry is legal and will get you arrested at the same time or read all the asine gun laws we have....

son on the bike if on or off the bike if off.... ok sitting on the hood of your car is then considered concealed carry then.... (i know it wouldn't but see where this is going).
i like to sit sidesaddle on my bike when parked as it makes a nice handy chair. i'm fairly confident i wouldn't be bothered by a leo for leaving it loaded and oc'in while doing so.
however it only takes 1 on a power trip after an sheeple-anti's call to go full retard. (and yes having lived in the PRM all my life... it takes a bit to let freedom sink in, due to the stupidity of
the laws down here being ingrained so as not to trip up for perfectly legal things one can do else where)

In reality, I can understand the desire to unload while riding. I wouldn't bother, but that's me. As far as while the bike is parked, I think you'd have to find one of the biggest dipshit super trooper cops on the planet (member GPP comes to mind[wink]), piss on his shoe and call his mom horrible names before he'd give you grief about it. I know that's not a legal ruling, but if you want to be pragmatic about it, that's the way it would probably happen.

Back
Top Bottom