• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No carry in Police station (Never Mind)

Last edited:
Was no law, James England fixed his article after it was pointed out to him. 5 bucks says his local PD has a sign.

And his local PD sign would have no standing, as State preemption laws establish only the State can set rules regarding carrying weapons in public buildings.

I may not be remembering correctly, but I think Manchester PD had a no firearms sign near their lobby entrance.

For some reason I think I saw it when I picked up my P&R a couple years ago.

I may not be remembering correctly, but I think Manchester PD had a no firearms sign near their lobby entrance.

Very possibly, haven't een there since I picked up mine (and they copied my license [angry], I didn't know better at the time)

put up an informational sign that theirs has no weight of law.

Legal Weight or not, they'll beat your ass for trying it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question. A private entity can put up a sign that does not have the force of law but can serve as the impetus for having a noncompliant person arrested for trespassing. But a PD is not a private building, so how would that work?

Interesting question. A private entity can put up a sign that does not have the force of law but can serve as the impetus for having a noncompliant person arrested for trespassing. But a PD is not a private building, so how would that work?

Don't worry they can get around it by arresting you for resisting arrest. Now, respect my authoriti....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Legal Weight or not, they'll beat your ass for trying it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it last Sunday. Concealed is concealed. I stood in front of a SGT and had a good 10-15 minute discussion inside the station with no issues.

No ass beating.

In Bedford they just ask you not bring it back in the holding cell room where they have the fingerprinting setup.

IIRC carry is OK in the NH state house. Am I correct there?

That's the problem with many laws... they are so inconsistent.

There is literally only one place carry is prohibited by statute in NH, court buildings. That's it.

Section 159:19

159:19 Courthouse Security. –
I. No person shall knowingly carry a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver, or firearm or any other deadly weapon as defined in RSA 625:11, V, whether open or concealed or whether licensed or unlicensed, upon the person or within any of the person's possessions owned or within the person's control in a courtroom or area used by a court. Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a class B felony.
II. Firearms may be secured at the entrance to a courthouse by courthouse security personnel.
III. For purposes of paragraph I, "area used by a court'' means:
(a) In a building dedicated exclusively to court use, the entire building exclusive of the area between the entrance and the courthouse security.
(b) In any other building which includes a court facility, courtrooms, jury assembly rooms, deliberation rooms, conference and interview rooms, the judge's chambers, other court staff facilities, holding facilities, and corridors, stairways, waiting areas, and elevators directly connecting these rooms and facilities.

IV. The provisions of this section shall not apply to marshals, sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, police or other duly appointed or elected law enforcement officers, bailiffs and court security officers, or persons with prior authorization of the court for the purpose of introducing weapons into evidence and as otherwise provided for in RSA 159:5.
V. It shall be an affirmative defense to any prosecution under paragraph I that there was no notice of the provisions of paragraph I posted in a conspicuous place at each public entrance to the court building.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm

Interesting question. A private entity can put up a sign that does not have the force of law but can serve as the impetus for having a noncompliant person arrested for trespassing.

Except where specified by law, "non compliance" would be refusal to peacefully leave when ordered to do so by a person of competent authority over the property.

Fortunately, we do not have "algorithmic trespass" - as in "Officer, that man has no tie!! It violates my sign that says entry without a tie is trespass, I want him arrested.".

Except where specified by law, "non compliance" would be refusal to peacefully leave when ordered to do so by a person of competent authority over the property.
That's what I meant, as I have stated elsewhere. Trespass would be the refusal to leave peacefully after being told to do so. In NH such an arrest should not occur prior to one actually trespassing.

Merrimack PD has a sign restricting "Weapons" beyond the general lobby. Certainly confused the officer when he invited me back there to discuss an issue and I said I can't and pointed at the sign.

So the fundamental question I asked above has not been answered. We know signs do not carry the force of law in NH. If an employee of, say, Simon Property Group, Inc. asks a concealed carrier to leave because carry is against the policy of Simon Property Group and the carrier complies, at that moment the issue is resolved without incident. But local PDs are neither corporations nor small businesses. Just as there is no NH statute disallowing carry in a police station, there is no NH statute prohibiting police from implementing a no guns policy at a station and telling those spotted carrying who disregarded a no guns sign to leave under penalty of being cited for trespassing. I don't hold high hopes for how that would play out in court.

Back
Top Bottom