• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More reciprocity for concealed carry...

Dear NHFC Members and Friends,

Our trusted friend and adviser, Executive Councilor David Wheeler (R-Milford) has told me that he has recently heard from the New Hampshire State Police that our state has entered into concealed carry reciprocity agreements with Maine and West Virginia. The New Hampshire Resident Pistol / Revolver license is now accepted for concealed carry in 25 other states. You can click here for the complete list.

In addition to the above reciprocity states, you may lawfully carry concealed in all "Constitutional Carry" states such as Vermont, Kansas, Alaska, Arizona and a few others.

Thanks for your support.

In liberty,

Alan M. Rice
Training Director - NHFC

Last edited:
Dear NHFC Members and Friends,

Our trusted friend and adviser, Executive Councilor David Wheeler (R-Milford) has told me that he has recently heard from the New Hampshire State Police that our state has entered into concealed carry reciprocity agreements with Maine and West Virginia. The New Hampshire Resident Pistol / Revolver license is now accepted for concealed carry in 25 other states. You can click here for the complete list.

In addition to the above reciprocity states, you may lawfully carry concealed in all "Constitutional Carry" states such as Vermont, Kansas, Alaska, Arizona and a few others.

Thanks for your support.

In liberty,

Alan M. Rice
Training Director - NHFC

Uhhh... Maine is not on that list. WV is, but not Maine.

I carried concealed in Maine today without a license, but I was relying on their new constitutional carry law. I knew that if I was stopped, I would have to inform the officer.

I wasn't, no big deal.

Uhhh... Maine is not on that list. WV is, but not Maine.

I carried concealed in Maine today without a license, but I was relying on their new constitutional carry law. I knew that if I was stopped, I would have to inform the officer.

I wasn't, no big deal.

It's the government and the holidays. Give them time to update their web site. [wink]
WV was there already before.

I saw this in a story so wanted to check further. First thing that jumped out at me was NH and WV signing an agreement. It was on or about 10/28/13 that WV and NH started honoring each other. Then having talked to Maine when the new permitless carry law was going into effect the Maine St. Police told me they were not sure they could even honor the 8 agreements they had signed before the new law and that they didn't believe they could sign agreements as that was removed from their law on how they honored other states.

Pennsylvania dropped Maine and they had a signed agreement before the new permitless carry law went into effect so Maine just about had to tell them the agreement that they had would be null and void when the new law went into effect. PA dropped them a couple days after their permitless carry law went into effect.

Both Florida and Colorado told me they would honor Maine if Maine would just tell them they would honor the FL or CO permit. Maine told FL and CO they had to honor them before they could honor them. FL and CO both told them their law wouldn't let them do it that way. Maine said their law wouldn't let them do that either. Catch 22.

I'm going to make a WAG that this only counts for resident licenses, in either direction. So someone with a nonresident Maine or NH permit can't use this at all, but if you have the piece of tissue paper from your local PD in NH, you're good to go. [laugh]

I wish these states would develop some kind of voluntary reciprocity compact, all sign onto the ****in thing, and in some cases, offer a special permit if needed that goes alongisde the regular licenses. (this would negate the problem of having to change their own laws). The idea being you could carry in like 40 states with one license thats issued based off the compact that all the member states agreed to.... but I'm drifting.

-Mike

So if I'm reading this correctly:
With my NH resident permit I can carry in Acadia and state parks in the state of Maine?

KBCraig,

The Maine State Police are stating it takes a Maine permit to carry in Arcadia National Park. You have to have a Maine Resident or Non-Resident Permit. Even if Maine honors your permit from another state it takes a Maine Permit to legally carry in Arcadia. That is per the Maine State Police Website and having talked directly to them. On their website they are stating the below. They first posted this and then a couple weeks later added Maine in front of "Permit Required" for carry in Arcadia. It does take a Maine permit or a permit they honor to carry in their state parks and the two other items listed. This really makes things complicated especially legally carrying in Arcadia. Most people will not see/know this and will believe since Maine honors their permit they an carry in all those places. Some will also never know that under Permitless Carry that they can't carry in those locations.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:

Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

That's a particularly stupid law, and questionable as to whether it could be lawfully enforced. State authorities can't generally enforce state laws on federal land.

That's a particularly stupid law, and questionable as to whether it could be lawfully enforced. State authorities can't generally enforce state laws on federal land.

Well, the Fed Law that ALLOWS carrying in a National Park has words in it that specify that it is legal ONLY if state law allows it. Thus, ME is free to set the law for carrying in Arcadia!

I won't venture to guess whether you'd be prosecuted for a violation by the state or feds, I'll leave that for others to speculate.

This looks like its out of spite because the MSP were opposed to removal of permit/license requirement
Completely false:

Maine State Police shared Brakey’s concern over differentiating between when a gun is or isn’t concealed, referring to “inconsistencies with the existing law.” They contend that Maine would “be better off” without a concealed permit requirement.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...port-rescinding-concealed-permit-requirement/

You are thinking of the NHSP who apparently hate that firearms are owned by citizens.

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:

Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

That seems to be in conflict with this during the Summer months:

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/park_passes_fees_rules/park_rules.shtml

Bureau of Parks and Lands

Rules for State Parks and Historic Sites

20. Hunting, trapping and firearms:

All hunting and trapping shall take place in accordance with the laws of the State of Maine, the laws and rules of the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, and local ordinances.
A concealed handgun may be carried by qualifying individuals consistent with the provisions of 12 M.R.S.A. §1803, (7). Open carry is not permitted under this provision.
The possession and/or use of firearms or weapons is prohibited in all areas between June 1 and Labor Day, except in accordance with 20b above.

So it appears that firearms may be carried and used during hunting season, but NOT allowed for personal protection during the Summer months.

Last edited:
So if I'm reading this correctly:
With my NH resident permit I can carry in Acadia and state parks in the state of Maine?

Actually I believe you can carry in Maine state parks with a NH CC permit but you can only carry in Acadia National Park with a Maine permit. That is right from the mouth of Maine State Police (Scott Ireland)..

Back
Top Bottom