• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Background checks for handguns different in NH?

They generally took 15 to 20 mininutes back in maine. A coworker who moved to nh last year about the same time i did went to buy a gun and its been over a week since it started. Sounds strange to me, any ideas?

They generally took 15 to 20 mininutes back in maine. A coworker who moved to nh last year about the same time i did went to buy a gun and its been over a week since it started. Sounds strange to me, any ideas?

NH has its own state level NICS POC for handguns that sucks ass and everytime people buy a lot of handguns in the state it gets overloaded easily. They put this in place to wallhack the brady wait period back in the day (so NH residents could get handguns without waiting) but now it basically serves no purpose, they need to pass a law to kill it off and just use the FBI NICS system for both handguns and long guns.

It wasn't really noticeable until Obama got into office because people never bought enough stuff in the state to overload the system... now every gun show, black friday, obamascare event, sandy hook, etc... type event... the system gets easily overloaded because there are only like 2 or 3 people that do all the checks for the entire state. If it's been longer than 3 days the dealer has the option to default proceed to you, so you may want to ask them about that. Some dealers do, some don't.

-Mike

I bought one and transferred another at KTP in maine where they have a NH exchange building. Quick on those.

Haven't bought fully in state from a state dealer.

I bought one and transferred another at KTP in maine where they have a NH exchange building. Quick on those.

Haven't bought fully in state from a state dealer.
They are a fully nh dealer if they're doing transfers in nh and they have to go through the nh POC for all pistol transfers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My son in NH has the FFL there and has had no real delays. Jack.

Tell him to try doing a handgun transfer around 1-2 pm on a gun show saturday in NH. [laugh]

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

a week? that's insane. your friend is probably going to jail.

Someone needs to call back the POC and ask them whats up. If I was going to make a WAG maybe they assume that most dealers default proceed.

-Mike

Tell him to try doing a handgun transfer around 1-2 pm on a gun show saturday in NH. [laugh]

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Someone needs to call back the POC and ask them whats up. If I was going to make a WAG maybe they assume that most dealers default proceed.

-Mike
Good point on the gun shows. Lance usually does these during the off-hours. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom