• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Background Check - How Long Does it Take?

Quick question. The other night I called a Massachusetts gun shop and put a deposit on a handgun with a credit card over the phone. I want to go pick it up tonight, but I have limited time, as I have to be somewhere later in the evening. This is my first handgun purchase.

So, my question is: how long can I expect the electronic background check to take?

About 30 seconds on a quick phone call.

What he said, it's usually a pretty quick phone call. But call the shop first. The whole process takes longer because you have paperwork to fill out, and many shops can get busy. I have had to wait over an hour at an FFL before they could even begin the paperwork with me.

Don't be fooled. The whole process is going to take longer than 30 seconds. I would allow at least 30 minutes. I have limited experience, but that seems to be the average for me. You also need to factor how busy the shop may or may not be. When I purchased a rifle from Dick's the guy told me the whole process would take an hour. He was pretty close.

The background check takes 30 seconds (usually). Filling out the forms and waiting in line does not.

Plan on 30 minutes realistically.

Another vote for allotting at least 30-45min of your day to this.

1)You enter the shop, look at everything on the way to the counter (5-10)
2)Engage the person behind the counter and explain your presence (5)
3)Receive and fill out 4473 (5)
4)Phone call to NICS (5)
5)Stupid MIRCS fingerprint BS (5-10)
6) Receive and finish paying for firearm (5)

Another vote for allotting at least 30-45min of your day to this.

1)You enter the shop, look at everything on the way to the counter (5-10)
2)Engage the person behind the counter and explain your presence (5)
3)Receive and fill out 4473 (5)
4)Phone call to NICS (5)
5)Stupid MIRCS fingerprint BS (5-10)
6) Receive and finish paying for firearm (5)

+1

Back
Top Bottom