Back to the woods!

I have not deer hunted since I was 19. I am now 52. Mid-life crisis? Maybe. The truth is I've been a pistol and rifle competitor for years, but could never find the time or trouble to take the hunter ed course. Now, the kids are officially grown and gone. Time to get back to the woods. Back (waaaay back) then I was USAF stationed in far north Maine (Limestone). Hunting was one of the few things to actually do for recreation after the weather turned. (And it turns in "the county" at least 6 weeks before it turns anywhere south of there.) It was cold, and deer were fewer, but seemed larger (for those that bagged one). The guys I hunted with, (most were civilians working at the base), were a wild bunch everywhere else most of the time, but not in the woods. That was all business, and that I liked. I am not sure I want to go back so far north, but I do want to hunt with a rifle, so my home (the People's Republic) is not an option. So I guess my first question to those of vast experience is this... where is the best place to rifle-hunt for a returning newb in New England, or even mid-Atlantic states? Many more questions to follow I am sure. Right now I have to read my hunter ed booklets. JR

Last edited:
MA

Don't give up on MA! You may enjoy modern muzzleloaders, or change your game to coyotes and do the public a service.

I like the idea of getting something in my own backyard!

Good luck.

I have not deer hunted since I was 19. I am now 52. Mid-life crisis? Maybe. <snip>JR

Welcome to the club JR, I'd second NH, even the southern half - just got to know where to go. I'd tell ya but I just landed here myself and I'm still lookin for places to scout. [thinking]

Good luck. [smile]

The Maine herd has taken a beating with the last couple of winters and except for the south east corner is in pretty bad shape. As for the best hunting in rifle country in close proximity to here I would have to vote for NY. You get in the right parts of NY and there are deer everywhere. Plus for about 300.00 you can get the super sportsman license which is like the mass sporting license but it includes 2 archery tags, 2 black powder and 2 rifle tags and 4 turkey tags and your fishing license. Cant beat that with a stick.

The prevailing sentiment seems to be NH, although I was also looking at NY and PA as alternatives. The pity is that the highest deer populations seem to be in the more urban areas of NH, and especially MA. I live in zone 10, and the deer are everywhere here. Every few weeks I have one dash in front of my car as I drive near my home in a still fairly wooded burb.

I have actually considered hunting near home with my Euro 1853 Enfield 3-band .58 cal musket during black powder season. Yet, I still like the more romantic notion of deep woods hunting with my 8x57mm Mauser with Mojo sights zeroed at 200 yards. Old school.

New Hampshire over Vermont? I might have options in mountainous areas of either state, and am also considering getting into it. How much are permits in both states?

I have not deer hunted since I was 19. I am now 52. Mid-life crisis? Maybe. The truth is I've been a pistol and rifle competitor for years, but could never find the time or trouble to take the hunter ed course. Now, the kids are officially grown and gone. Time to get back to the woods. Back (waaaay back) then I was USAF stationed in far north Maine (Limestone). Hunting was one of the few things to actually do for recreation after the weather turned. (And it turns in "the county" at least 6 weeks before it turns anywhere south of there.) It was cold, and deer were fewer, but seemed larger (for those that bagged one). The guys I hunted with, (most were civilians working at the base), were a wild bunch everywhere else most of the time, but not in the woods. That was all business, and that I liked. I am not sure I want to go back so far north, but I do want to hunt with a rifle, so my home (the People's Republic) is not an option. So I guess my first question to those of vast experience is this... where is the best place to rifle-hunt for a returning newb in New England, or even mid-Atlantic states? Many more questions to follow I am sure. Right now I have to read my hunter ed booklets. JR

Here is a picture of a couple of deer my buddy just sent me. These were taken from the kitchen
window towards the the field at the back of his house (Southern NH). I think he is trying to send
me a message (visit).

IMG_2275a.jpg

I finally found the time to take the NH hunters ed course, and will be getting back to the woods after a decades long absence. JR

Last edited:
Yes I would certainly prefer rifle hunting, but I am thinking I will go black powder in MA. (Frankly, the substantial $ it would cost to hunt with a rifle out of state is too much just to relearn how to find deer this first year back.) To be honest, I don't like modern in-lines, so I will be using a .58 caliber 1853 3-band Enfield repro with 480 gr Minnie Ball over 60g of FF. (I know... the full charge is 70g, but I am using original style ACW Minnie, and they tend to blow off the thin skirts at 70g.) I guess I'll have to get fairly close... if I remember how. Can I carry a cap and ball pistol with me during BP season in MA? I know you can in other states, but this doesn't seem to addressed on the MassWildlife site. JR

Last edited:
Also, can't you use blackpowder during both blackpowder AND shotgun seasons, since they can double as a shotgun (smoothbore) anyhow?

Back
Top Bottom