• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Austin mass shooting: 13 injured, 2 critical after gunfire erupts in downtown entertainment district

Reptile

NES Member

Austin police say lone suspect has not yet been caught​

A mass shooting that erupted in an entertainment district in downtown Austin early Saturday morning has left 13 people injured, including two in critical condition, police say.

The incident unfolded around 1:30 a.m. along 6th Street, a popular area filled with bars and restaurants. The street was barricaded to keep out vehicle traffic at the time of the shooting, according to interim Austin Police Chief Joseph Chacon.

"Our officers responded very quickly," Chacon said. "They were able to immediately begin life-saving measures for many of these patients, including applications of tourniquets; applications of chest seals and other types of first aid equipment."

It remains unclear what sparked the gunfire. Posts on social media at one time said as many as 16 were shot.

Chacon described the lone suspect as a Black male with a black shirt, skinny build and "dreadlock-type" hair – but told reporters early Friday morning that the description isn’t very detailed "based on the chaotic nature of the incident."

Investigators are now reviewing surveillance footage and the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force has been notified, Chacon said.

Eleven of the injured people were taken to one local hospital, another person was taken to a different hospital, and the other person went to an urgent care facility with gunshot wounds, Chacon said.

These will continue weekly until we give up our rights. Whoever doesn't want to give uo your guns are directly responsible.

Prayers to the families, but funny how no mass shootings for an entire year while the covid agenda charged on and now they're passed that and focused back on the agenda of gun control.

"A newspaper in Texas said on Saturday that it is not publishing the description that local law enforcement gave of a man suspected of shooting 13 people on Friday night because it “could be harmful in perpetuating stereotypes.”"

"In a statement, the Austin Police Department described the suspect as “a black male, with dread locks, wearing a black shirt and a skinny build.”"

"A newspaper in Texas said on Saturday that it is not publishing the description that local law enforcement gave of a man suspected of shooting 13 people on Friday night because it “could be harmful in perpetuating stereotypes.”"

"In a statement, the Austin Police Department described the suspect as “a black male, with dread locks, wearing a black shirt and a skinny build.”"

Holy crap. Enemy of the people.

Okay, I heard back from my friend.

Short version for anyone not familiar with Texas law: "restaurant carry" is legal, but carrying in any TABC-licensed location that derives 51% or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol for consumption on premises (a "bar", as opposed to a "restaurant") is prohibited. Unlicensed carry at any TABC-licensed location, on- or off-premises, carries serious criminal enhancements (at least until unlicensed carry takes effect).

Me: "Regarding the 6th Street shooting in Austin: how much of that district is 51%?"

Him: "I would guess it is about 50%. Lots of t-shirt and tattoo shops, and of course food stores in the area. As an aside though, did you see that both shooters were illegally carrying since neither was over 18?"

Me: "I figured that carrying while intoxicated was at least involved."

Him: "Sounded that way too. Which leads to all sorts of questions for the minors involved. TABC should have a field day with it."

It will also lead to all sorts of questions for the licensed establishments where these under-18 shooters were drinking.

Back
Top Bottom