Attempted burglary at my old neighbor's house

I got a call from my dad the other day, and we were catching up. He told me that someone tried to break into the neighbor's house (this is down south where I grew up). My dad woke up during the night (2 am or so) and saw blue lights out front, and he asked my neighbor about it the next day. The neighbor has a Hilti van parked in his driveway, so people probably thought he was a good target. He also has motion detector lights around his house. So when the lights came on, he got up and grabbed his revolver. He saw the guy in his back yard (which is completely fenced in, so there's no way that he just wandered back there) and he went outside (with his gun). The guy started to run, but he told him to stop. Somehow they got out to the driveway and he had the guy lay on the ground as his wife called the cops.

When the cops showed up, my neighbor was just holding the revolver (he was in his underwear, so he couldn't exactly holster it). The cops didn't even give him a second glance, although he gave it to his wife to bring inside pretty soon after they showed up. He also said something to the cops like "I didn't point it (the gun) at him, because I know I'm not supposed to do that if he's not threatening my life." The cop's response was "what do we care, he was breaking into your property. Point the gun at him if you want to." My neighbor's biggest complaint about the whole thing was that they showed up with their lights on, ruining the chances of catching this guy's accomplice, if he had one.

I do like living up here, but man, there are some things I miss about the south.

Back
Top Bottom