ATF tax stamp (SBR and silencer specific)

How many people here have the ATF tax stamp for either a short barrel rifle or a silencer? How long did it take them to give it to you? And what did you put as the reason for applying to get the item (I was thinking collectors item or something).

What exactly is involved in obtaining the tax stamp, I know the basics like $200, filling out the forms and getting your local PD chief to sign off, send it in, and wait and wait and hope you get it. But what REALLY goes into getting it? Does your name get put on some special "crazy person with many guns list" or something? Or does the paperwork and list just get lost in a pile like most other things do?

Are there any disadvantages to getting a tax stamp for a SBR or silencer like being on some "special list" or something like that?

Thanks for any guidance!

And what did you put as the reason for applying to get the item (I was thinking collectors item or something).

You can put whatever you want for reason, has no bearing that I am aware of in getting approved. I know of a few out there for "repelling zombie hords"...

And as others have said go to the NFA section or www.northeastmachinegunfun.com with your questions...

How many people here have the ATF tax stamp for either a short barrel rifle or a silencer? How long did it take them to give it to you? And what did you put as the reason for applying to get the item (I was thinking collectors item or something).

What exactly is involved in obtaining the tax stamp, I know the basics like $200, filling out the forms and getting your local PD chief to sign off, send it in, and wait and wait and hope you get it. But what REALLY goes into getting it? Does your name get put on some special "crazy person with many guns list" or something? Or does the paperwork and list just get lost in a pile like most other things do?

Are there any disadvantages to getting a tax stamp for a SBR or silencer like being on some "special list" or something like that?

Thanks for any guidance!

Do some research. When you submit the form to have an NFA item transferred to you as an individual, and ATF approves it, they stick the stamp on the form and write the serial no. of the item on it. It's not a stamp that you "own" and you can't use it for postage or future aquisitions. I guess it serves as evidence that you have paid the transfer tax on that particular item only.

Back
Top Bottom