Article: Warwick RI: Cops ‘shake out lead’ at weapons qualification

Chris Mathiesen has a ridiculous collection, including a real STG44. One of the lastof the old timers, great guy. The rest of the guys at Warwick PD that I know are retards lol.

Who the **** wrote this story??

The Warwick Police Department issues every officer a SIG P229 – a semi-automatic pistol distributed Sig Sauer. However, an officer may use a weapon of his own choosing as long as it is in .40 calibers. Some officers choose to carry Glocks.

Previously, officers could carry anything they wanted but when it came time for Mathiesen to order the ammo, it could get confusing.

“I had to literally figure out what you carry if you carried a .9 mm or if you carried a .40 mm,” Mathiesen said. “I had to balance all the info and it was a nightmare.” So when they started to standardize, they chose the SIG because they feel that it is a good weapon.”

The qualification course is designed by the Warwick Police and that along with the all the law enforcement’s qualification results are required to be submitted to the Attorney General’s office and POST - Police Officers Standard and Training once a year. The Warwick Police Department has three months to qualify its officers.

Besides the heat they pack on their hip, some officers carry carbines – a shortened version of a rifle, making it easier to handle.

When qualifying, officers shoot 37 rounds. Most shots are fired within 5 feet of the target, while the officers are on the move.

.40mm is quite the impressive caliber, as is .9mm.

Also, shots at 5ft?? Super.

Yeah, all with .0157 caliber handguns. Very scary. I wonder how hard it is to load a mag with bullets that tiny, though the capacity must be amazing [laugh]
God. There is so much LE derp in that article. I've had issues with a couple clowns on this site, but as far as my career and business go, I thank God I'm here. If it wasnt for NES, the connections I've made, the things I've learned, and discussions I've had... I would never know what is possible as a shooter.

I would have wallowed in the mediocrity that has become LE training. Like starting at arms length, walking back and firing 4 shots... in 4 seconds! Blazing!
Hey, you have to practice at that distance! You wouldn't want to bang the muzzle into the target on the draw, now would you?
We practice at that distance. .. I just wouldn't brag about a 1.5 yard hose target. ;)

I think the author is more than equally culpable for horribleness of that story.

Point shooting and contact shooting are viable skills that should be practiced by cops. Let's face it they spend a lot of time within 5ft of dangerous people. It's just that I would never think of it as a qualification drill.

Further away for Fido?

This is the silhouette target they are using:

600px-Dog.svg.png

I really really really wish I hadn't read that article.. I'm embarrassed on so many levels. HTF do you miss at 1.5 yards? Seriously? At a stationary target?

What happens when they have a target 15yards away? They won't engage because they are not trained that way?

My my head is ready to explode. Where is the effin Tylenol?

I really really really wish I hadn't read that article.. I'm embarrassed on so many levels. HTF do you miss at 1.5 yards? Seriously? At a stationary target?

What happens when they have a target 15yards away? They won't engage because they are not trained that way?

My my head is ready to explode. Where is the effin Tylenol?

That is how they cover their butts when they need to shoot at someone 15' away and end up hitting houses and innocent people.

You'd be amazed and terrified at the lack of firearms skill of some LEOs. It's laughable.

And that makes me even angrier when you hear anti-gun dopes bleeting about how only LEOs should have guns.

Back
Top Bottom