Article: UMass puts politics ahead of student safety

No news here, when I went to UMASS Dartmouth a few years back the place was full of FUDDERY. The good news is unlike University of Rhode Island, the security there is handled by state police, the bad news is that it's handled by state police. They were very accommodating though, they even had a forum on the subject once and if they would allow mace after a spree of random drunkenness night where people were being harasses/mugged. Not sure where it went though, I was to busy will real stuff.

The answer we were given was that making a legal exception under Massachusetts law would first require them to amend the student code of conduct regarding weapons, which they are unwilling to do, even in a very direct and limited capacity which would only allow defensive sprays. The Vice-Chancellor’s office later told me that UMass has never made an exception to the rule as it currently stands.

Yup. Too much work for the bureaucrats.

I'm surprised they got around to changing the alcohol policy. When I went there in 1979, the alcohol policy read, in its entirety "no kegs". (We didn't pay much attention to that one either)

There was just a stabbing up there too...off campus. Would the student have been in trouble if he defended himself?

My fiance went to UMass Amherst and felt threatened a few times. Fortunately she never got into a dangerous situation, but if she had she would of never even had a chance to defend herself.

Why is this a surprise? There's a state-wide prohibition against possession of weapons on college campuses in MA (that's MGL 269.10 (j) for those who don't remember) without specific permission of the college authorities.

Looking at the student handbooks from several Boston-area colleges, firearms, MACE, and pepper spray are pretty much routinely banned from dorm rooms.

I'm not saying it's right... in fact, I think it's particularly ludicrous to ban PEPPER SPRAY. But, you know... welcome to the Commonwealth.

I went to UMassD, lots of girls carried mace (was even mentioned as a way to protect ones self in my women's studies class) .. hey dont judge, i needed an elective! And dudes all carry knifes. Policy should be gotten rid of, no one really cares unless you are being a tool.

Back
Top Bottom