Article: TX: SAPD uses stun gun on man carrying rifle

Carrying a rifle on a rainy night in a neighborhood, not putting the rifle down when asked by officers. Was this kid looking for trouble?

Interesting on how they mention this:
“They are charging him with City Ordinance 26-11, (which) I believe (prohibits) firearms in the city limits, but there's a Texas local law ordinance that states that the municipalities can not make up a law regarding firearms," said Valchar.

Makes you wonder if they are setting up a legal challenge to the states supreme court for local preemption

the sad thing is I think it is a victory that they didn't just kill him, certainly would have made the aftermath easier for the police

After the kid who got slain while carrying the Airsoft rifle anyone who fails to comply either has huge balls or a really small brain.

It's not fair. It's not even currently legal. But it is what it is...

I believe in open carry but until it becomes more common especially in the case of rifles the public's response will continue to be one of fear. If I was home with the kids and a guy with an AK came down the street I would certainly grab my gun just in case, if he was open carrying a handgun I might not think much of it. You just never know these days!

The Chief gives the reason that some in the community and "his officers" felt uncomfortable and that's why the kid got tazed. Well, frankly, law enforcement in its current form make me really, really uncomfortable!

I don't know? Maybe because I grew up in a hick town where seeing someone with a rifle slung across their back was more common (in the months of November through December) than cars on the road, I don't see the problem. I mean, I get threatened every day by bad drivers then I would by someone minding their business, walking down the street, carrying a rifle and, I never call the cops. Crap! Bad drivers can kill you too, right?

StevensMarksman

I would suggest to start worrying a bit earlier, perhaps at least when they start drawing their gun out of their holster glaring at you ? [grin]

If I got upset every time someone lit up a newport, showed their war face, and whipped out a sidearm I'd have a lot more bodies notched into my mags.

I think this kid is a moron. The cop seemed very reasonable. He even said "excersize your right all you want, but if you start freaking out people, I can't stop them from shooting you" as well as "I believe everyone has a right to have a weapon, just be smart about it dude". The cops received reports of some kid pointing a rifle at people. They wanted him to place it on the ground (most likely more so after he said there was one in the chamber) to make a safe (for them) environment before further discussion. Hell, 9 minutes into the video the cop told him he could leave and he SHOULD have left, not continue discussion.

Should the cops have tazed him, no. That being said, I think this kid was looking to be tazed....

The only way a situation like this starts is by a cop harassing a law abiding citizen. You can't say a person is "looking to get harassed" by doing nothing illegal. Its like saying a girl is cutoff shorts is "looking to get raped".

The only way a situation like this starts is by a cop harassing a law abiding citizen. You can't say a person is "looking to get harassed" by doing nothing illegal. Its like saying a girl is cutoff shorts is "looking to get raped".

2 totally different things. Even if this argument is valid, the guy with the gun has the ability to cause harm, the girl with shorts could bring harm to herself, not others.

I agree, this kid is an idiot. Cops responded to freaked out neighbors, they gave him chances to defuse the situation. He could have complied and calmed the situation down.

Although the chiefs response is a little scary.... Comply even if you think the cop is being unlawful. I guess because they can shoot to kill with almost no repercussions.

Carrying a rifle on a rainy night in a neighborhood, not putting the rifle down when asked by officers. Was this kid looking for trouble?

I believe in open carry but until it becomes more common especially in the case of rifles the public's response will continue to be one of fear. If I was home with the kids and a guy with an AK came down the street I would certainly grab my gun just in case, if he was open carrying a handgun I might not think much of it. You just never know these days!

I think this kid is a moron. The cop seemed very reasonable.

Should the cops have tazed him, no. That being said, I think this kid was looking to be tazed....

I agree, this kid is an idiot. He could have complied and calmed the situation down.

Comply even if you think the cop is being unlawful. I guess because they can shoot to kill with almost no repercussions.

Wow. Another thread in which someone actually exercises the right to keep and BEAR arms, and people suggest that makes you an idiot and moron, that people who exercise a right are looking for trouble and want to be accosted and attacked, and that you should just give up your rights and comply. You just never know these days.

My goodness. This is a firearms forum yet people come out of the woodwork AGAINST actual carry of firearms. Disheartening.

Wow. Another thread in which someone actually exercises the right to keep and BEAR arms, and people suggest that makes you an idiot and moron, that people who exercise a right are looking for trouble and want to be accosted and attacked, and that you should just give up your rights and comply. You just never know these days.

My goodness. This is a firearms forum yet people come out of the woodwork AGAINST actual carry of firearms. Disheartening.

He was an idiot for not putting the gun down when told to by an LEO. You mean to tell me that if you saw someone carrying a rifle through your neighborhood at night in the rain you wouldn't grab your gun? Be suspicious? Wonder why he is carrying a rifle around? If my kids are out splashing in puddles and I see this guy, I get nervous. You would too, so did people who saw him. Cops were just checking him out.

He was an idiot for not putting the gun down when told to by an LEO.

He'd be a bigger idiot for touching a gun when being accosted by police. Touching a firearm, even if it is to put it down, when confronted by police increases your chances of being shot by police.

You mean to tell me that if you saw someone carrying a rifle through your neighborhood at night in the rain you wouldn't grab your gun? Be suspicious? Wonder why he is carrying a rifle around?

I wouldn't call 911. I also wouldn't taze him.

Cops were just checking him out.

Clearly they weren't 'just checking him out'. What a ridiculous characterization of what happened. Using a taser on someone isn't 'just checking [someone] out'.

He was an idiot for not putting the gun down when told to by an LEO. You mean to tell me that if you saw someone carrying a rifle through your neighborhood at night in the rain you wouldn't grab your gun? Be suspicious? Wonder why he is carrying a rifle around? If my kids are out splashing in puddles and I see this guy, I get nervous. You would too, so did people who saw him. Cops were just checking him out.

There is a huge gaping chasm between you checking something out, and you asking the government to go harass so done and threaten them with kidnapping for you.

The two are NOT the same.

He'd be a bigger idiot for touching a gun when being accosted by police. Touching a firearm, even if it is to put it down, when confronted by police increases your chances of being shot by police.

I wouldn't call 911. I also wouldn't taze him.

Clearly they weren't 'just checking him out'. What a ridiculous characterization of what happened. Using a taser on someone isn't 'just checking [someone] out'.

You wouldn't call 911 because your comfortable with guns around. Others are not. Keep that in mind. You wouldn't taze him because your not a cop (probably), and not subject to some of the anger towards them that you are expressing right now.

They were checking him out, saw he had a rifle, asked him to put it down. They tazed him because he didn't follow their instructions to put a firearm down, not because he had one in the first place. Texas has the open carry law, the kid was NOT breaking any laws. Open carrying in a non-threatening way is legal in texas, the trouble starts when he refuses to comply with the cop.

Decide for yourself how you would handle this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't subscribe to this whole "wave my guns around in the air because I have a right to" mentality.

Why should he comply when police are breaking the law by harassing him??

Yeah.... I guess I wasn't looking at it that way. I guess I just understand the LEO's worries and concerns and he has to respond to the calls from the neighbors... The law states that you can carry a rifle in a non threatening manner. And that is what he was doing. A drive buy, a nod from the cops probably would have shown that he wasn't a threat to anyone. How does the LEO balance multiple phone calls from freaked out soccer moms? I guess by driving by, determining that the kid is no threat and moving on....

They claim the city has an ordinance of no open carry that supersedes state law... I wonder how it will play out.

Using that logic then do you run into the house when you see a car coming down the street? Might be grandma or a drunk driver. We all know that cars crashing into buildings are an almost daily occurrence.

You wouldn't call 911 because your comfortable with guns around. Others are not. Keep that in mind. You wouldn't taze him because your not a cop (probably), and not subject to some of the anger towards them that you are expressing right now.

So now we are suppose to call police when we are not 'comfortable'? What terrible logic.

They were checking him out, saw he had a rifle, asked him to put it down. They tazed him because he didn't follow their instructions to put a firearm down, not because he had one in the first place.

I get it. It doesn't matter what you are doing, or whether there is even a reason for what a cop is telling you to do. You must comply or they get to taze you. Sad.

Texas has the open carry law, the kid was NOT breaking any laws. Open carrying in a non-threatening way is legal in texas, the trouble starts when he refuses to comply with the cop.

Again, you are saying he wasn't breaking any laws, yet needs to comply with cops anyways, when he has neither a reason or obligation to do so. Sad.

Decide for yourself how you would handle this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't subscribe to this whole "wave my guns around in the air because I have a right to" mentality.

Another intentional misrepresentation. He wasn't waving a gun around. Regardless, I find the mentality of "I'm scared, call the police" and worse, "Just comply" to be a much more dangerous mentality.

So now we are suppose to call police when we are not 'comfortable'? What terrible logic.

No we are not, but that's what people do, and the cops respond and we end up with this type of situation. I agree, terrible logic, but that is how the masses think.

The solution to that is simple. If the only reason the person is calling is because someone is carrying a gun, they are informed that is legal. If so inclined, they can dispatch an officer to the caller. If they really want, an officer can drive by and see what is going on. When they see someone is just open carrying, there needs not be any contact. There should not be any contact. And if there is, they certainly shouldn't be accosting and assaulting the individual.

No response to the rest of the post? I'll assume I was close.

Almost done. Cops state that a neighbor called and stated that the kid was Pointing the gun at them. They have to respond now...

Back
Top Bottom