Arrow Suggestions

What do you guys like to use for arrows? Ive been practicing this last week with the beeman arrows with 2'' veins I bought last year. They don't seem to be too consistant (or maybe I just need more practice). The funny thing is that I have an old aluminum arrow in my case with 4'' veins, thats seems to go where ever I put it.

Quinn

More information would be required for a useful answer. You need to include bow poundage and arrow length, head weight, and which Beman arrow you are shooting so you can have someone with a spine chart look up the spine and see where you are at spine wise. By adjusting head weight you can effect the arrow spine if you find out that you are a little too stiff or a little soft.

Fletching contact with the rest can be a problem here as the 2" Bhoning blazers are taller than the typical 4" vane. You can check by putting a little lipstick on the edge of the vanes and see if there is any transfer to the bow or rest after the shot.

Are the vanes fletched with any helical twist or offset to get the arrow spinning? a spinning arrow is more stable in flight.

Is the bow tuned?

Are you shooting target points or broad heads?

I shoot 20" arrows out of my crossbow that are fletched with the 2" Bhoning blazers with a 4 degree offset and my arrows are very consistent. Shorter arrows are inherently more unstable than a longer arrow and the 2" vanes have no problem stabilizing a broad head on my 20" arrow. I also used to use them on my vert as well when I was shooting that. So it is likely not the 2" vanes per se.

Bob

Go to a reputable pro shop and get your equipment checked out to make sure you are properly matched, set up and your arrows are spined correctly.

Its a older hoyt and I just had the bow restrung and tuned last year when I bought it. The arrows are always in the zone, I just not getting good groups.The bow is about a 65-70# draw @ 30'', Iam shooting beman bow hunter 300 arrows at9.5 gri on a 29'' shaft with field tips. They got 2'' blazer vanes I assume they are have some sort of twist.

I need to buy another dozen arrows anyway and from what I gather with a little research is that alot say that the gold tip xt's are the best for the money. And I still my need some practice I just picked it back up a week of two ago. I did do alot better last year but I had it in my hand for a few months straight.

Thanks,
Quinn

Quinn,

Arlo gave you good advice about going to a REPUTABLE pro shop as they have the experience. I have been out of the verticals for four years now and shooting crossbows due to a back injury. I can recommend a good shop in the greater Springfield area if you are interested. He is a very knowledgeable and fair. He is a proponent of the lighter arrow flatter trajectory arrow. He used to do all of my work.

You can check to see if there is any offset or helical by looking down the arrow at the vanes to see if they are mounted straight to the shaft, are offset (not parallel) to the shaft, or have a twist in them (helical). It can be hard to see helical on those short Blazers.

Here is a link to the Beman shaft selector which may help with picking your new arrows

http://www.beman.com/products/shaft-selector

You might also try posting this question over on AT in the bowhunting forum. You will get a lot more responses as it is a very active archery board but you will have to sift thru some of the crap you tend to get on there.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/index.php

One thing is for sure. You have to figure it out as they will definitely fly worse with broadheads on them. I hope that I have been of some help.

Bob

Bob, lipstick worked great! Truns out one of the vanes was slightly hitting the riser. After move the rest over about a 1/4'' the arrows started grouping alot nicer. The reasonthe old aluminum arrow was flying better was that the vanes where longer and narrower than the blazer vanes. Thanks alot man! Rep points commin at ya.

Quinn

Bob, lipstick worked great! Truns out one of the vanes was slightly hitting the riser. After move the rest over about a 1/4'' the arrows started grouping alot nicer. The reasonthe old aluminum arrow was flying better was that the vanes where longer and narrower than the blazer vanes. Thanks alot man! Rep points commin at ya.

Quinn

Excellent. I am glad that you found the problem.

Bob

I had the same problem a couple years ago. I would get a nice group then I'd get one all over the place. I had a new rest installed by a "pro-shop" who told me they would "use a laser" because you can't get it right if you don't. Well they got it wrong. There was a guy who stopped by and I was mentioning my problem. He looked at my bow for all of two seconds and helped me set it properly. Without the "laser".

Back
Top Bottom