• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Broken arrow in buck

My buddy found this broken arrow in a deer he shot on one of our hunts when he was butchering it today.
fe331199ac6ac6cc899b6a55f1afbd00.jpg
5b8b077d115e49fdbf7a3e50470cdc52.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wow. Did the deer have a wound on the outside or was it healed over? Just curious if it had been in there for a few weeks or over a year. Impressive regardless!

Incredible that the deer was still running around with that in him. They're definitely tough. P.S. **** the guy that didn't make sure he got his kill and let the buck suffer like that.

Looks like a G5 100 grain.hard to tell ,but it may be only 85 grain.

they balance well but I never liked the wound channel. Not wide enough .

I use expandables, however ,I've downed a doe one time and the blades never expanded, so nothing's perfect.

Last edited:
Just wondering if that is the upper part of the ham or shoulder? If so, it looks like the arrow went in from the hoof up as the arrow head looks to be pointing upwards towards the back of the deer. Deflected arrow perhaps????

Just wondering if that is the upper part of the ham or shoulder? If so, it looks like the arrow went in from the hoof up as the arrow head looks to be pointing upwards towards the back of the deer. Deflected arrow perhaps????
It was parallel to the spine he said

Wow. Did the deer have a wound on the outside or was it healed over? Just curious if it had been in there for a few weeks or over a year. Impressive regardless!
He said it looked like it was in there for over a year as we didn't see a wound when we dragged it out, and when he started to butcher

Looks like the courageous bow hunter took the shot from behind the deer, with obviously no intention of putting it down quickly.

Incredible that the deer was still running around with that in him. They're definitely tough. P.S. **** the guy that didn't make sure he got his kill and let the buck suffer like that.

Looks like the courageous bow hunter took the shot from behind the deer, with obviously no intention of putting it down quickly.

The shot did not hit any vital organs. Consequently the animal would have been unrecoverable as was obviously able to survive and consequently evade recovery efforts. It's awfully presumptuous to assume the hunter just let it go and suffer or didn't take an ethical shot.. Arrow could have deflected on a small branch, animal could have jumped the string, moved at the moment of the shot, or it could have just been poor shot placement on an animal quartering away.

My point being - don't assume you know all there is to know based on a photo.

......agreed that the broadhead looks something like a Montec G5. But I don't think it is. The G5 doesn't have that channel on the head tip. It also has the head perfectly smooth with the cutting edge and that head appears to have a ridge. I think it's the G5 striker.

Last edited:
The shot did not hit any vital organs. Consequently the animal would have been unrecoverable as was obviously able to survive and consequently evade recovery efforts. It's awfully presumptuous to assume the hunter just let it go and suffer or didn't take an ethical shot.. Arrow could have deflected on a small branch, animal could have jumped the string, moved at the moment of the shot, or it could have just been poor shot placement on an animal quartering away.

My point being - don't assume you know all there is to know based on a photo.

......agreed that the broadhead looks something like a Montec G5. But I don't think it is. The G5 doesn't have that channel on the head tip. It also has the head perfectly smooth with the cutting edge and that head appears to have a ridge. I think it's the G5 striker.
I'm going to disagree with you.

When I see an arrow shaft completely parallel with an animal's spine it's pretty safe to assume it wasn't a good shot. No amount of deflection is going to make an arrow enter the animal from behind. String jumping typically involves the animal loading up for quick movement, some guys cheat and shoot low in anticipation. It doesn't mean that in the 300 milliseconds of arrow travel time that the animal will be able to move 90 degrees and present its ass to the flying arrow.

I can assume all I want, I've met enough hunters over the years and read enough forums to know that there are a lot of fudds who do stupid shit and take bad shots. Any shot that results in an injury to the animal but doesn't bring down the animal is a BAD SHOT.

When I see an arrow shaft completely parallel with an animal's spine it's pretty safe to assume it wasn't a good shot. No amount of deflection is going to make an arrow enter the animal from behind. String jumping typically involves the animal loading up for quick movement, some guys cheat and shoot low in anticipation. It doesn't mean that in the 300 milliseconds of arrow travel time that the animal will be able to move 90 degrees and present its ass to the flying arrow.

I agree with you, it probably wasn't a shot that should have been taken but strange things can happen when they jump the strong. I had a buck standing broadside with his head to the right so I was looking at his right side and he was alert and looking at me. He caught me still hunting along a trail. I took the 30 yard broadside shot. He dropped and spun 180 degrees. I hit him in the neck on the left side of his body the opposite side I was shooting at. I was shocked how much he moved before that arrow arrived. Thankfully I hit the artery and he want 40 yards and then feet up in the air.

They are resilient animals that's for sure. I recovered my buddies broad-head from a hog almost 4 months after he buried it in the hogs shoulder but didn't get deep enough to hit the goodies. It was pretty much healed over and a big puss pocket.
broadhead-wound.jpg

I'm going to disagree with you.

I can assume all I want, I've met enough hunters over the years and read enough forums to know that there are a lot of fudds who do stupid shit and take bad shots. Any shot that results in an injury to the animal but doesn't bring down the animal is a BAD SHOT.

If the shot was quartering away to begin with - which is a perfectly ethical shot - it wouldn't take much deflection or movement by the animal at all to produce a result like that. A slight drop down and to the left on a string jump by an animal that was quartering away to the right and you get that result.

OP, did this arrow cause any damage to the meat? looks a little dirty, was wondering if the bucks immune system kept it healthy enough that you have no worries about eating any of the meat around that old arrow.

OP, did this arrow cause any damage to the meat? looks a little dirty, was wondering if the bucks immune system kept it healthy enough that you have no worries about eating any of the meat around that old arrow.
There were a few spots that were cut out otherwise it's fine

Well we don't know what happened - and never will. So we're all really just playing the part of armchair quarterbacks at this point. I hope he took an ethical high percentage shot and it just went south. But not everyone conducts themselves in such a way. If that person didn't then shame on them. They shouldn't be hunting and they give us all a bad name. But truth be told - you hunt long enough and sooner or later you will injure and lose an animal. Sometimes you line up an ethical high percentage shot and you just don't make a good shot. Anyone I have spoken too about it feel horrible about it. A couple even contemplated giving up hunting because the experience was so impactful to them. All they could think about for days was that animal suffering. They banged out of work sick and hammered the woods trying to find it - for days and days, etc.

All I'm saying is don't judge without the facts.. and we basically have zero facts.

You and I both know that many do not give a sh!t and wait for the next one to come along imstead of tracking a wounded animal.

Looks like it is very puss filled around the arrow. gack. I know from butchering hogs that they will have puss filled sacks where injuries are. Glad I ate lunch already....

My father always taught me to be careful gutting big game for this reason, don't want rip your hands open on a broadhead. Never came across an arrow in a deer, but I took a black bear in Maine that had a .44 slug in its sternum.

A buddy of mine shot a buck years ago with 6 0r 8 inches of an arrow shaft in its shoulder.

The buck was bedded down under a tree during snow fall. He shot it and it never moved just kinda fell over. When gutted we knew something was up as it was warm but not hot as you would expect. When we skinned it we found the shaft and a huge infection with puss and the like.
The flesh was putrid except for hind quarters. Our best guess was that the poor thing probably died under that tree a day or two before my friend came across it. Either that or it was freezing to death unable to move. They are tough animals but thinking about how that one must have suffered hit a nerve. I'll stick to hitting them with slugs.

I'm just impressed of how little of infection there seems to be?
Had a dog shot with a pellet gun good 3" into his rear.
Not sure how long it was in there but when the vet cut him open it was NASTY..I mean a good first size rotten mess.

Back
Top Bottom