• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Army of one" gets deep-sixed

The US Army is officially letting go of the "Army of One" marketing concept.

I've never been in the military, but as an observer I never undertood that positioning concept when teamwork seems to be a key to successful military operations.

I always thought the "Be all that you can be" was an effective one.

Now, my question to those of you who are in the military now or prior is...

If you were going to come up with a new slogan for the Army...what would it be?

Be serious now.

Some ad agency is going to earn 1 billion $ for this and it ain't going to be: "Join the Army and Kick some ass." In other words.."serious replies only."

This is going to be one of the biggest ad campaigns in history and I'm wondering if they have sense enough to ask those of you who have done it what you think.

I never was in the service, but I've always liked "Join the Army. Travel the world. Meet interesting people. And kill them."

Hey, truth in advertising [lol]

When I was in basic, they kept telling us we were an army of one and that was before the slogan came out.

They also told us we were killing machines, with just enough knowledge to get ourselves killed in a bar fight ! :D

Being in the marketing business I've spoke with all the sevices and their ad agencies on different marketing concepts.

Until I have a contractual aggreement for royalties I'll reserve giving them a free ride.

As an aside, their slogan "An Army of one" was aimed at trying to present itself more like the Corps. After years of trying to disassociate itself and presenting strength through numbers, they've come to realize things have to change.

When I was in it was Be all you can be, and my all time favorite We do more before 9am. They weren't lieing on that one. [lol] [lol]

I was told by someone long ago that the whole "army of one" was suppost to imply an army of O.N.E. ( being O.fficers, N.cos, and E.nlisted).

The original and still the best...

us_poster_l.jpg

I like :
" just when you think it can't get worse ....it can . ARMY ! "
or:
" have you ever gone a month without a shower ? , have you ever had someone tell you to take off your rain coat because they forgot thiers ? , have you ever spent a day digging fox holes so that division can write down the dimmensions for next years hand book ?, have you ever had to stay awake watching a telephone for 24 hr's ?. have you ever been in an airplane for 2.5 hrs , then jumped out to find that your only 14 miles from your barracks (YOU KNOW THIS BECAUSE YOU WALKED BACK).
Well you can have all that in the Army !

Funny thing that Sicily is 14 miles from the barracks.
How about: '...expending all of your units fuel a month and a half before the end of the fiscal year, with a TOT of 1200, and roadmarching back to division...'

It's funny, though. I kinda miss those days. [shock]

The problem is that they've been going about it all wrong.
instead of pussyfooting around about what it is the military truly is and does, they should just come out up front and lay it on the line and begin to appeal to the violent nature of todays youth.
i know the liberals would be lighting themselves on fire with gasoline in the streets, but would that be such a bad thing :p
i genuinely believe it would be a much more effective means of recruitment.

the military has become too politically correct and demasculinated in its message to appeal to the latent warrior that lies within our modern "free thinking" American youths. This group of young people is smarter and more informed than any such group has ever been in the history of the planet, and its indeed a formidable obstacle for a modern miltary force attempting to attract talent. You cant just sling BS and catchphrases at people anymore and expect it so stick.

We arent recruiting for a peactime military anymore, its time for the ads to begin reflecting that reality..I think they might be suprised how many people that appeals to..

I would LOVE to have a hand in modifying the message of the US armed forces to better appeal to todays youth and rip the task from the overtly PC low bid ad co's.
give me access to broadcast quality training footage and a camera and i would make a commercial that would have every kid in the US banging down the doors of the recruiter.

Rpriestlyjr said:
Funny thing that Sicily is 14 miles from the barracks.
How about: '...expending all of your units fuel a month and a half before the end of the fiscal year, with a TOT of 1200, and roadmarching back to division...'

It's funny, though. I kinda miss those days. [shock]

sounds like a fellow member of the airborne mafia

SnakeEye said:
The problem is that they've been going about it all wrong.
instead of pussyfooting around about what it is the military truly is and does, they should just come out up front and lay it on the line and begin to appeal to the violent nature of todays youth.
i know the liberals would be lighting themselves on fire with gasoline in the streets, but would that be such a bad thing :p
i know it would be overall a much more effective means of recruitment...................

your absolulty correct. I joined the Army to jump from planes , shoot cannons , drink beers , fly in black hawks , yell at fat kids that can't make the runs and throw cherry party's . Put that in a commercial besides the movie F.M.J. and recruiting will rise 100%.

Lets face it the fastest way to a win a boys love is to put a loaded gun in his hand
icon_soldierdouble.gif

the Defense Department should sell firepower to teens and young adults like car manufacturers sold horsepower in the 60's and 70's.
Have a small group go around the country with some hellish hardware and display the unholy firepower the US armed forces has at its disposal..Get entities like Sony, EA and MS involved..Get the MOVES institiute involved.. live Bands.. Have large inexpensive paintball battlefields setup for free and provide demonstrations with working operatives showing force on force CQB within them. The only real cost would be fuel and ammunition..
Stop by each towns junk yard on their way in, buy a few large junkers for a couple hundred bucks (shit most would probobly donate if if for the Service) and take control of the local football field!!! [twisted]
the cost of a single 60 second spot on any major metropolitan area TV station would pay for a dozen of these things.
put up some posters! shit....
Its Uncle Sams Circus Of Destruction!
Even the negative attention it would generate would be a positive...you cant loose..
icon_gang.gif

Most of the new guys that have come into our Guard units up here know full well what they're getting into. And, they mostly join out of Patriotism, something the Lib-Tards will NEVER understand.

Nickle said:
Most of the new guys that have come into our Guard units up here know full well what they're getting into. And, they mostly join out of Patriotism, something the Lib-Tards will NEVER understand.

those are the people who would have joined no matter what...it wasnt any commercial or free T-shirts that got them there. Patriotism and a sense of national duty...
its the other (i dont even want to speculate) percentage of the population that the goverment has to burn hundreds of millions on advertising for..to get through the thick sheltered skulls of self entitled liberal pacifists..

Back
Top Bottom