Armslist, yeah this email offer seems legit.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
[laugh]

In addition to putting my Norinco 1911A1 for sale/trade on this site, I also added it to Armslist to see if I would get any bites there. Overnight I receive a nice email asking if it was still for sale and if so she would like to buy it. I send her (Diana) an email stating yes it's still for sale and we could meet today to do the transfer if she'd like. I get the below response.

Thanks for getting in touch. The price Sounds fair to me and Just so you know I am located in Baltimore Maryland, and I relocated here 2 weeks ago. I relocated for work. I have other stuffs in my old apartment which includes (refrigerator, gun wardrobe, kitchen items, grand piano, garage items, Big tires, baby stuffs, a Ruger SR40c 9mm, and a WW2 M1 carbine which they are moving for me. The moving company FFL will come pick up the weapon and will deliver It all together with the rest of my things so you don't have to ship it. For the payment, I will be mailing you a cashiers check and I will as well add extra $100 to the asking price if you can secure the purchase for me till check arrives and cashed. If this is OK, please get in touch with your name and mailing address to send the cashiers check to. Include your phone # as well so I will be able to contact you for fluent communication. Thanks

This sounded fishy as hell, but just for the hell of it I asked what the name of her FFL was and I would drop the gun off to them. Instead she offers to take care of all the details and just wants my address to send the cashiers check too. Yeah, nope not a chance.

Ended up telling her that if she's legit she needs to do a better job with the info, if she was a scammer that she's terrible at it and should get a new line of work and finished with if this is the AG's office doing a sting, tell Maura I said hi! [smile]

Got to love the interwebs...... My money is on scam.

Wording is a little too proper! LOL

Ask him if he is related to a Nigerian Prince and how much for the gun wardrobe?
Please send picture of wardrobe and tires as your 747 needs a new pair...[grin]

Something about a check and more than asking price...[smile]

Last edited:
[laugh]

In addition to putting my Norinco 1911A1 for sale/trade on this site, I also added it to Armslist to see if I would get any bites there. Overnight I receive a nice email asking if it was still for sale and if so she would like to buy it. I send her (Diana) an email stating yes it's still for sale and we could meet today to do the transfer if she'd like. I get the below response.

This sounded fishy as hell, but just for the hell of it I asked what the name of her FFL was and I would drop the gun off to them. Instead she offers to take care of all the details and just wants my address to send the cashiers check too. Yeah, nope not a chance.

Ended up telling her that if she's legit she needs to do a better job with the info, if she was a scammer that she's terrible at it and should get a new line of work and finished with if this is the AG's office doing a sting, tell Maura I said hi! [smile]

Got to love the interwebs...... My money is on scam.

There is a thread here with the literal exact same response....they aren't even that creative!

It's 100% scam.
But I'm curious if she was going to have someone pick it up?

Normally they try and have you ship it to them.

I like to drag the scammed out for weeks before I tell them they're idiots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Call the atf and have her send the check, turn it over to them. Thats wire fraud, mail fraud, and trying to buy a handgun out of state

i'd love to know who would have showed up with the ffl. if your gonna drop a dime on her, get atfe to have one of their agents pop out of another room when the ffl arrives. should be amusing. of course you'd have to move after cause the nigerian price would have his security team hunting you down.

Sr40c in 9mm? Sounds legit. Just throw the norinco in a shoebox and send er on down.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Agree with them, but tell them it will require 21 days to cash the check. Cashiers checks are easier to duplicate and your bank will be happy to cash. The issue is when the issuing back recives it about 14 days later and confirm its fake. Your bank wants their money back. 21 days clearance normally scars them off.

harry

I wonder what would happen if you used a bogus address like a vacant building and then sat across the street to see who shows up.

Probably Home Invasions -R- Us.

Definite scam. Armslist is 90% scammers, both sellers and buyers, based on my experience

Mine called herself Sarah Casie.

Thanks for getting in touch. The price Sounds fair to me and Just so you know I am located in Baltimore Maryland, and I relocated here 2 weeks ago. I relocated for work. I have other stuffs in my old apartment which includes (refrigerator, gun wardrobe, kitchen items, grand piano, garage items, Big tires, baby stuffs, a Ruger SR40c 9mm, and a WW2 M1 carbine which they are moving for me. The moving company FFL will come pick up the weapon and will deliver It all together with the rest of my things so you don't have to ship it. For the payment, I will be mailing you a cashiers check and I will as well add extra $100 to the asking price if you can secure the purchase for me till check arrives and cashed. If this is OK, please get in touch with your name and mailing address to send the cashiers check to. Include your phone # as well so I will be able to contact you for fluent communication. Thanks

Sound familiar?

"baby stuffs". Yeah sounds like a native speaker.

How do the banks not have a way to stop this?

Definite scam. Armslist is 90% scammers, both sellers and buyers, based on my experience
I've bought and sold a few items there. I've had good luck but lots of tire kickers and a few flakes. I've had better luck linking up with good people here.

This, I understand when someone uses stolen checks or credit cards, but a bank check that clears should not be a scam. How does the bank let this happen?

The same reason why no one will ask for the video of the guy using your CC in TX to buy a 65" TV when you live in MA. They just don't care.

This, I understand when someone uses stolen checks or credit cards, but a bank check that clears should not be a scam. How does the bank let this happen?

"Available” does not mean cleared: When somebody writes you a check, it has "cleared" when the money has transferred from the check writer’s account and you can spend it. However, it's not always clear if or when the money has arrived. Your bank will usually allow you to spend money from deposited checks — and even withdraw cash — before a check has actually cleared.

But you're responsible for any checks you deposit, so you'll have to repay any funds you use if the check bounces after you've taken the money.

Federal law (Regulation CC) requires that banks make at least part of your deposit available to you within a few days

I get so many of these...

I have two responses. First, if I'm feeling lazy, is "Shipping with postal money order, okay?" About 75% of the time it stops there. The other 25% of the time I get the formulaic "great, let's proceed" obvious scam language, which takes me to my other response; trying to get as much info from the scammer as possible, over as long a time as possible. Kind of fun.

"Available” does not mean cleared: When somebody writes you a check, it has "cleared" when the money has transferred from the check writer’s account and you can spend it. However, it's not always clear if or when the money has arrived. Your bank will usually allow you to spend money from deposited checks — and even withdraw cash — before a check has actually cleared.

But you're responsible for any checks you deposit, so you'll have to repay any funds you use if the check bounces after you've taken the money.

Federal law (Regulation CC) requires that banks make at least part of your deposit available to you within a few days

This was the problem I had. Basically I don't understand why my bank does not hold off on making money available until they have it from the other bank. Maybe it would be annoying to have to wait until it was all done, but it would solve issues like this where I get screwed spending money that the bank says I have, until they find out that I don't and start with the fees.

Also I thought a bank check required the person to give the bank the money for it, and then the other bank is on the hook for the check? If this is the case, how can it bounce?

Also I thought a bank check required the person to give the bank the money for it, and then the other bank is on the hook for the check? If this is the case, how can it bounce?

Forgery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom