Armed Bicyclist Fatally Shoots Driver In [Detroit] Road Rage Incident

I give bicycles too much space.
I won't pass them if I can't give them too much space.
And until I can pass them, I hang back,
so that they don't get their bowels in an uproar that they're being tailgated.

Good. I'm sorry I made the wrong assumption.

Too many drivers don't move over at all, or move over a tiny amount, passing with like 18" clearance.

Then they assume (because they don't look) that bikes are basically stationary, and pull back in the lane with maybe 3' of clearance.

That's super unnerving.

Cops standing next to their cars don't suddenly swerve because real (or imagined)
debris or potholes are rushing towards them at 15MPH.

That's true, but they might step away from a car with little notice if the person in the pulled-over car does something alarming, or he's just asked the driver to step out.

But that's not really the point. Even for a cop clearly not going to move, I'm going to give him *at least* six feet of clearance so he doesn't get spooked by a car driving by too close.

You clearly already get that, so my comment wasn't for you :)

If you gave a bicycle "enough space" when you passed them,
and then you saw them crash in the rearview,
would you stop? Or would you power through and keep driving?

I would stop, because I'd stop if I saw a bicycle crash, regardless if I had just passed, was going the other direction, or had not yet passed.

I'd stop if I saw a motorcycle crash, or a car crash, or someone faint, too.

I don't believe stopping and helping is a signal of guilt.

I've never been stylish or trendy enough to put anything in bike jersey pockets.

Nor have I. I wear cheap ($7) high-viz Hanes wicking T-shits. Cheap, effective, visible.

Spend $25-$30 on a seat wedge
-or-
become a paraplegic.

Pretty much a 50/50 tradeoff. I flipped a coin and bought the wedge.

That seems like the clear, obvious answer to me, too.

I'd never put a piece where it would break my spine if (when) I fell on it...

It's not a big concern for me at this point. Been carrying this way while riding since 2009 with greater then 10K miles ridden. Luckily I've only had one crash when I was hit by a car and that was with me putting my shoulder into the passenger side window when they cut across me. I feel more comfortable carrying this way as I can get access quickly if needed. Carrying in a saddle bag is not ideal, at least in my mind.

It's not a big concern for me at this point. Been carrying this way while riding since 2009 with greater then 10K miles ridden. Luckily I've only had one crash when I was hit by a car and that was with me putting my shoulder into the passenger side window when they cut across me. I feel more comfortable carrying this way as I can get access quickly if needed. Carrying in a saddle bag is not ideal, at least in my mind.

saddlebags fall off ... ask me how I know. Not good scenario.

this thread already has 2/2: cats and a bicycles, we just need pics of the woman in question in full gear.

The fem riders who are between pro and amature are hottest, physically fit but not to the point of bodybuilders on wheels. Also nice to see good shooting.

Back when my oldest was learning to drive she was tooling around town with my wife and came up on a parent and young child on bikes. She waited and waited, then went WAAAAY too wide around them. She got about even and the little girl fell off her bike, sprawling into the normally-occupied lane. Had she not gone WAAAY too wide, she'd have run the kid over.

That said, I judge bike passing based on the location and biker behavior. You wanna ride 3-wide, you won't get much room from me. Sorry. It's not Breaking Away. Single file and STFU. Get a car if you wanna go side-by-side. Or a bicycle-surrey. ;)

That said, I judge bike passing based on the location and biker behavior. You wanna ride 3-wide, you won't get much room from me. Sorry. It's not Breaking Away. Single file and STFU. Get a car if you wanna go side-by-side. Or a bicycle-surrey. ;)

Riding 2 or 3 wide isn’t a problem, it’s not tucking back into single file when there’s someone behind you...

Whenever I’m riding in a group, I do everything I can to remain hyperconscious of what’s going on behind us, and try to only ride with people that do the same.

In the car (or even on the bike, passing a gaggle of slower riders), I’ll give the group a quick minute to get single file before I decide to do anything drastic.

Sadly, especially these days, a lot of cyclists and pedestrians seem to have given up all interest in going single-file, if only for a moment. All I can do about it, though, is to model better behavior, and try not to run anyone over.

Also, just want to throw in here that I’ll take 3-abreast cyclists over a Subaru in the left lane any day of the week.

ETA: obviously it depends on the road, too. Heavily trafficked and/or narrow routes are not a place to ride side-by.

Some groups have better pack discipline than others. Some groups are comprised of more skilled riders than others. A double paceline should be able to single up when alerted to the presence of an overtaking car (rear rider calling "car back"). While riders should ride no more than 2 abreast, the two lead riders in a double paceline will peal off and rotate to the back allowing them to recover from pulling the group. This will cause the riders to momentarily be up to 4 abreast.

Good. I'm sorry I made the wrong assumption.
[kiss]

I've got the bad feeling that I started giving exaggerated room
that after I said to myself, "self, did I give that bike enough room,
or are they plastered against a tree like a Looney Tune?".

Yes, everyone went home safe, but I got with the program.

I would stop, because I'd stop if I saw a bicycle crash, regardless if I had just passed, was going the other direction, or had not yet passed.

I'd stop if I saw a motorcycle crash, or a car crash, or someone faint, too.

I don't believe stopping and helping is a signal of guilt.
Good on you.

I feel more comfortable carrying this way as I can get access quickly if needed.
I've got the feeling you're an operating operator,
so keep on operating.

saddlebags fall off ... ask me how I know. Not good scenario.
Funny, you don't look like The Bride.
Youngest BIL takes us actual mountain biking(*) on our hybrids
at a NJ county park down the Shore near Bruce's palatial pad.
The Bride notices her wedge seems to rattle under her seat,
but thinks nothing of chucking her wallet and keys into it
without fixing it or telling me.
And we discover when we're ready to put the bikes back on the car
that there ain't no wedge.
Luckily, someone did not merely find it,
but was turning it in at park HQ.

(*) Actual mountain biking:
People actually want fallen trees across the trail.
Freaking maniacs.

Riding 2 or 3 wide isn’t a problem, it’s not tucking back into single file when there’s someone behind you...

Whenever I’m riding in a group, I do everything I can to remain hyperconscious of what’s going on behind us, and try to only ride with people that do the same.
Three elite riders a mile from our house this weekend.
Bad news:
Taking up two lanes,
didn't single-up.
Good news:
With leader doing the finger wiggle for "trash ahead on the left",
obviously the cream of the riderhood.
Bad news:
Didn't signal right turn vs. left turn at the T,
didn't stop for the stop sign (especially not even a track stand).
Good news:
Blowing the stop sign meant they were out of my hair
before we got to the intersection.

In the car (or even on the bike, passing a gaggle of slower riders), I’ll give the group a quick minute to get single file before I decide to do anything drastic.

Sadly, especially these days, a lot of cyclists and pedestrians seem to have given up all interest in going single-file, if only for a moment. All I can do about it, though, is to model better behavior, and try not to run anyone over.

Also, just want to throw in here that I’ll take 3-abreast cyclists over a Subaru in the left lane any day of the week.

ETA: obviously it depends on the road, too. Heavily trafficked and/or narrow routes are not a place to ride side-by.
I don't like road-riding, cuz multi-ton metal things. I have to, from time to time, but make it de minimis. Even so, in the <1 mi I had to ride the last time (starting point to trailhead), I was almost clipped by an idiot pulling a trailer.

And I don't group ride as a rule. For one thing, I'm in the woods to get AWAY from you f***ing humans. For another:
and given the former - let alone the Wuhan virus- I regard it as a feature and not a bug. [smile]

Spend $25-$30 on a seat wedge
-or-
become a paraplegic.

Pretty much a 50/50 tradeoff. I flipped a coin and bought the wedge.

I've been an avid cyclist for 25 years. I have a few saddle wedges. I'll use one for rides over 75 miles to free up pocket space for food. Full-time wedge makes you a Fred.

Group rides can be a complete blast. I’ve been in a 25 rider Peloton and it was something drafting off each other and doing 45 plus MPH in a single train. Pretty exhilarating.

Road cycling is literally a team sport. You just need a good group. There are lots of clueless roadies that look the part but don't know the rules.

Group rides can be a complete blast. I’ve been in a 25 rider Peloton and it was something drafting off each other and doing 45 plus MPH in a single train. Pretty exhilarating.

I don’t think I can pedal that fast. Not with my current gearing anyway.

Road cycling is literally a team sport. You just need a good group. There are lots of clueless roadies that look the part but don't know the rules.

The velominati rules are approximately 90% pure bullshit (either weird fashion related stuff or horseshit gatekeeping we don’t need). The remainder simply cannot be argued with.

Last edited:
I've been an avid cyclist for 25 years. I have a few saddle wedges. I'll use one for rides over 75 miles to free up pocket space for food. Full-time wedge makes you a Fred.

Meh. Full time wedge beats failing to pocket the correct size tube even once.

25 tube stays in the bag on the bike with 25s, 32 on that bike, 26x1.5 on that bike, etc.

Jersey pockets are for cellphones, insurance cards, and stroopwaffels.

bike riding apparel represents yin and yang of athletic clothing. On men, any way you cut it, it's uber gay. On well apportioned female, though, it's God's work.

That’s ~120 RPM @ 50:11 on normal road tires (700c x 23). It’s fast.
53:11 on 25mm tires gets you 45.5 mph at 120 RPM. Draft or no draft, I am not getting there without a gravity assist. Hell, even a race finishing sprint where I was perfectly positioned with a leadout, 128 RPM average and averaging 851 Watts on 52:15 had me at 35.7 average, 36.2 max. This is why I switched to a 12-25 cassette for flat courses. 11 tooth is wasted unless you are descending (also running 53-39 front now instead of 52-36).

Last edited:

Aren't those those ridiculously overpriced stationary bikes that don't even include the subscription cost for their annoying trainers to yell at you for 30-60 minutes at a time??? ;)

I can make a Peleton bike go 45MPH quite easily. Drop it out the back of a C-5. ;)

53:11 on 25mm tires gets you 45.5 mph at 120 RPM. Draft or no draft, I am not getting there without a gravity assist. Hell, even a race finishing sprint where I was perfectly positioned with a leadout, 128 RPM average and averaging 851 Watts on 52:15 had me at 35.7 average, 36.2 max. This is why I switched to a 12-25 cassette for flat courses. 11 tooth is wasted unless you are descending.

Resistance aside, 120 RPM is an absurdly fast spin, which is what I was trying to say.

If I had a full-size crankset instead of a compact, I might consider switching to a 12-26 instead of the 11-26 I have...but I don’t. So I’m going to keep it.

That being said, the only time I’ve gone that fast was descending on the Kanc. I’m sure I could hit it on a lot of smaller hills too, but usually I use downhills (and my substantial gravity assist) to recoup a little bit...especially since I’m not exactly built to climb (and definitely not with a bottom gear of 34:26)

Back
Top Bottom