Armed Bicyclist Fatally Shoots Driver In [Detroit] Road Rage Incident

...But on quiet streets, a bicyclist who is paying attention
can evade a solo motorist -
a bicycle can U-turn in the blink of an eye,
and ride on sidewalks;
and a driver can't catch a bicycle on foot.

Clown driver stopping was the bicyclists' signal
that it was Pedal Time.

Sigh....

I've been in several altercations in my life. I learned the hard way (surgery) not to turn my back on someone until they're definitely unable to continue the fight. No effing way would I turn my back and pedal away from someone in a vehicle after an altercation. I'd move to the side of the vehicle, not behind or in front, or try to run to a location that the vehicle can't access. Last time it happened I was alone on rural roads in Rehoboth and nearly had to pepper spray a guy. I'm 135 pounds and wearing road shoes so no way I'm gonna wrassle a dude.

I've been in several altercations in my life. I learned the hard way (surgery) not to turn my back on someone until they're definitely unable to continue the fight. No effing way would I turn my back and pedal away from someone in a vehicle after an altercation. I'd move to the side of the vehicle, not behind or in front, or try to run to a location that the vehicle can't access. Last time it happened I was alone on rural roads in Rehoboth and nearly had to pepper spray a guy. I'm 135 pounds and wearing road shoes so no way I'm gonna wrassle a dude.

Ahhh, Rehoboth... Rocky Hill Road is a classic 😉

I have not puked riding. Just running. And lifting.

I've come close at wrestling practice, but managed to avoid it. [grin]

Never puked riding although felt nausea after a ride once when it was particularly hot out. Had a trainer who got me very close to puking a couple of times. Now I‘m older & wiser

What is that white thing used for?
That's actually a human (or SpaceCritter) powered trail groomer. You put weights in the pockets, put on your snowshoes, and pull it behind you.

Most riding areas in Connecticut motorized anything (including groomers) are verboten. And honestly, we haven't had much in the way of snow so investing in a mechanical groomer (e.g. SnowDog) would be kinda dumb, regardless.

I've used it maybe twice. Meh. Best bet honestly is to have a snowshoe party where a bunch of folks in snowshoes march around the trails. Better, of course, snowmobiles where they're allowed (exactly one place near me: Naugatuck State Forest West Block, but I haven't seen sleds in there in years).

(And no, it's not mine - it belongs to CCTNEMBA.)

I'm sure there are many circumstances where a Range Rover outclasses a bicycle.
  • Heavy traffic.
  • Motorist willing to hit nearby objects attempting to run over bicycle.
  • Car has passengers willing to dismount.
  • Bicyclist is wearing stupid clip-in bike shoes.
  • 2+ bicycles who can't coordinate tactics.
But on quiet streets, a bicyclist who is paying attention
can evade a solo motorist -
a bicycle can U-turn in the blink of an eye,
and ride on sidewalks;
and a driver can't catch a bicycle on foot.

Clown driver stopping was the bicyclists' signal
that it was Pedal Time.

Sigh.

Spoken like someone who's probably never been run down. It sucks ass. Yes, first response should be get behind something sturdy, but otherwise it's a crapshoot.

My guess as to what happened...Couple of retards rent bikes and think its hilarious to disrupt traffic and act like a**h***s. Most people grind their teeth, day dream about bowling for bikers but move on. Retard in RR comes along. (retard convention achieved) Words exchanged, retard#3 gets out, retard#1 puffs out chest, retard#2 shoots retard#3. Retards 1 and 2 conveniently leave out a**h*** behavior part when crying to police. (not that it matters once the knife came out)

Wow. What a load of conjecture full of assumptions.

Not a biker but the one in the pic looks like one of those ghetto rent by the hour bikes to me, so Im guessing these people werent really "cyclists", just people who happened to be on bikes at the time. My personal experience is rent-a-bike riders are even more ignorant on the road then actual cyclists. (my apologies to the NES'ers who ride but what can I say?)

My guess as to what happened...Couple of retards rent bikes and think its hilarious to disrupt traffic and act like a**h***s. Most people grind their teeth, day dream about bowling for bikers but move on. Retard in RR comes along. (retard convention achieved) Words exchanged, retard#3 gets out, retard#1 puffs out chest, retard#2 shoots retard#3. Retards 1 and 2 conveniently leave out a**h*** behavior part when crying to police. (not that it matters once the knife came out)
Wow. What a load of conjecture full of assumptions.

Probably why it started with "My guess" ;)

More and more I'm interested in finding bike paths and trails as opposed to road riding. Part age, part craziness. (Theirs, not mine).

I prefer a waist pack when riding. It's a hold over when I used to run.

Shirt has three pockets in the back to carry food and other stuff. Always carry my P3AT there when riding. Been run off the road three times and hit once. Can get interesting out there.

That was pretty funny! I've only been into road cycling for two years but my experience overall interacting with drivers hasn't been to bad. In the Boston area it was a little dicey because of the volume of traffic and the narrow roads. In NH it has been a real pleasure and roads are usually very lightly traveled, wide, or both. I never hold up cars and always try my best to let everyone get by quickly. The only incident I've had was coming down a steep hill on a country road, going around a bend and then seeing two cars completely stopped in both lanes in the middle of the curve that I had to brake and squeeze past. They were having a neighborly chat from their driver's windows without a care in the world.

Yup....and yet, dozens of arson felonies committed in the plain view of hundreds of police and few if any batted an eye.

It has been the going rate lately ... LEOS arresting law abiding citizens; guilty until proven innocent while LEO turns a blind eye to actual crime happening all around them.

The guy was on foot outside of the car when she shot him. She'll likely walk, ...
If the narrative is legit, she deserves to beat the rap.
But she's already hasn't beaten the ride.
I hate driving around cyclists as much as the next person but this sounds legit.
I hate having to check my rear-view after I pass them,
to be sure they didn't crash.
Shirt has three pockets in the back to carry food and other stuff. Always carry my P3AT there when riding.
I'd never put a piece where it would break my spine if (when) I fell on it...
I've been in several altercations in my life. I learned the hard way (surgery) not to turn my back on someone until they're definitely unable to continue the fight. No effing way would I turn my back and pedal away from someone in a vehicle after an altercation.
Who said anything about "after"?
As soon as the car slows down,
it's nature's way of telling you to U-turn
and be a hundred yards down the road
before they know what happened.
Triple bonus points if you can duck down a road that's one-way/wrong-way.
Spoken like someone who's probably never been run down.
No, written like someone who's evaded a pursuing car
by getting inside their OODA loop.
Back in the day, but still...

I hate having to check my rear-view after I pass them,
to be sure they didn't crash.

??? Why would they crash? If you give a bicycle enough space (like, as much space as you'd give a cop standing next to his car), there's no reason a bicycle should suddenly crash.

And You should *always* look in your rear view (not just the side view) mirror when passing to make sure you've left enough space. Not just for bicycles, but when passing cars and trucks, too. Most drivers underestimate how fast bicycles are going, and come close to cutting them off when getting back in the right lane.

Shirt has three pockets in the back to carry food and other stuff. Always carry my P3AT there when riding.
I'd never put a piece where it would break my spine if (when) I fell on it...

Yea, that's my concern, too. I'd love a decent under-seat holster, or one that looks appropriate in a water bottle cage, or something like that. I really don't want to fall on the gun.

I really don't want to fall on the gun.

I have a multitool, CO2 inflator, tube, phone, etc in my jersey pockets. If I crash hard enough I guess something is punching through my spine. I mountain bike as well so there's always the risk of landing on my back on a pointy rock.

I have a multitool, CO2 inflator, tube, phone, etc in my jersey pockets. If I crash hard enough I guess something is punching through my spine. I mountain bike as well so there's always the risk of landing on my back on a pointy rock.
In my case clumsy Aspie so that's more probable than possible. [grin]

??? Why would they crash? If you give a bicycle enough space ...
I give bicycles too much space.
I won't pass them if I can't give them too much space.
And until I can pass them, I hang back,
so that they don't get their bowels in an uproar that they're being tailgated.
... (like, as much space as you'd give a cop standing next to his car), there's no reason a bicycle should suddenly crash.
Cops standing next to their cars don't suddenly swerve because real (or imagined)
debris or potholes are rushing towards them at 15MPH.

Well, unless they've got the shakes; but let that go.

If you gave a bicycle "enough space" when you passed them,
and then you saw them crash in the rearview,
would you stop? Or would you power through and keep driving?
Because you gave them "enough space".

It's a tradeoff between you somehow caused the accident;
-and-
you didn't cause the accident but some witness captures your license plate anyhow.

In the latter case you pray the victim was a GoPro addict,
and there's video of you doing nothing wrong.
(In the former case, the victim had better not be sporting a GoPro.

Come to think of it, we've engaged in idle speculation about whether
the Detroit bicyclists were serious or not. If they're serious,
maybe they have video of the incident.
Which if it's a legit shoot, could be good news for the defense.

I have a multitool, CO2 inflator, tube, phone, etc in my jersey pockets.
I used to carry a first aid kit (not even hard shell - just stuff in a ziplock)
in the chest pocket of my ski bibs.
Until I bruised my ribs Big Time doing a face plant.
After that, all the crap migrated to side pockets.

I've never been stylish or trendy enough to put anything in bike jersey pockets.

If I crash hard enough I guess something is punching through my spine. I mountain bike as well so there's always the risk of landing on my back on a pointy rock.
Spend $25-$30 on a seat wedge
-or-
become a paraplegic.

Pretty much a 50/50 tradeoff. I flipped a coin and bought the wedge.

Back
Top Bottom