• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Arisaka Type 99

JonJ

NES Member
I came face to face today with Bubba”. It was scary it was my older brother! Last year, my brother was complaining that he needed a shotgun. I told him to keep the one that I gave him to use over 2 years ago and he could give me our father’s Arisaka that he brought home from Okinawa. He agreed and told me that it was going “to take a while to find all the parts”. I asked what he meant and he said that he was in the process of putting it in another stock. I told him to STOP and find the parts. I hounded him for a few months for the rifle but he told me that he didn’t have time to find it all. I was getting sick over this. Today, I went to his house and had him “gather” it up. He had pieces on and under his messy workbench and it was covered in grime and sawdust. The hand guard is MIA but he swears he still has it in his cellar and he’s going to find it. The safety knob and spring are also missing and he said there never was a safety knob. I find this hard to believe because the rifle was always in a closet, standing up. The firing pin would have fallen out

I had no idea what the rifle was but I checked when I got home and this is what it is. Nagoya Type 99 Series 6. All numbers match, bolt, extractor, firing pin, front band. Rear sight is flip up/adjustable (no provision for AA). Rear band does not have the mount for a monopod. It has the cleaning rod.

The only damage that I see is the front sight. It looks like he was knocking it out.

When my brother gave everything to me, he asked if I wanted the sporter stock. I wasn’t going to take it but he said that his father-in-law has an Arisaka with all the “stuff” including the bayonet. I took the sporter wood so that he wouldn’t be tempted again. I was tempted to hit him in the head with it though. Seeing as how he’s my older brother, I have to be nice. If anyone wants his address to dope slap him, let me know.

Below are pics of the rifle as I received it. The last pic is Dad in Okinawa. He passed away in 1979. Don’t know where the bayonet is, I never saw it when I was a kid. I included the sporter stock in a pic a reminder to us all as to what could have been!

nagoyaall.jpg

nagoyaserial.jpg

nagoyamum.jpg

nagoyafrontsight.jpg

nagoyastockmk.jpg

dadgun1.jpg

Looks like you're missing the receiver cover, as am I. My rear sight is made for the AA wings but they're missing. Looks like you saved it just in time! Are you gonna put back together? No top wood or is it just not in the pic? Need one to look at while you work?

webara1.jpg
webara2.jpg
webara3.jpg

When I saw it, I really wanted to cry. I had a sick feeling in my belly. When I got home and inventoried it, I didn't feel so bad. It still bothers me that he didn't value it for what it is and what it represents.

Well, he says he has the handguard but can't find it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The only other parts missing are the firing pin spring and proper/correct (but not matched) safety knob. I've located what I need and will send the $$ tomorrow.

Nice rifle Pilgrim. What is it? Did you refinish the wood?

The top wood is till MIA. My brother says that it's in the cellar somewhere. I'll hound him on a regular basis until he finds it.
Thanks for the offer for the model but I bought a Kokura Series 21 a few days ago. I was basically giving up hope on ever seeing Dad's rifle again so I bought one. I got 2 in less than a week!

Nice rifle Pilgrim. What is it? Did you refinish the wood?

No I didn't refinish it, someone before me did.

'What is it?' It's a T99 although the bolt handle does seem to be different than yours. The Japanese markings on the reciver behind where the mum used to be are the same on mine as yours. I 'translated' the markings and the first 2 are 9's, and the last means 'type'.

The markings on either end of the serial number are different on mine. I have 2 symbols on each end.

Are you sure you got the bolt that belongs with it? Ive never seen one other than the kind I have on mine.

I'll try and get some closer pics.

Yes, the bolt on my Dad's rifle matches the receiver. Even the wood matches. The bolt is different because the Nagoya Series 6 is what is known as a "transitional" rifle. The Japanese were looking for shortcuts in their manufacturing as the war progressed. One of the shortcuts were easier milled bolt handles. More shortcuts were made as things got worse for them.

Check this site, it will translate the symbols on your serial number so you will be able to find out what factory built it and what "series" rifle it is.
http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html
I'm anxious to hear what you have there Pilgrim.

Thanks for the kind words Type. She'll put put all back together into a original, functioning piece with nothing more than cleaning and oiling. No reblueing or sanding/staining the wood.

Thanks for the link. I had that but lost it somewhere.

Mine is a series 30 Toyo Kogyo one of the last 5000 made. Bolt number matches receiver. It appears to be very well made. I see nothing of any 'cheapness' creeping into this particular model.

Thanks Len. It won't be much of a restoration thankfully! It's just a matter of getting the 2 parts and the wood. Screw it together and it's done. I'm so happy he didn't totaly muck it up.

Sounds good Pilgrim. Glad I could help. It's unfortunate that the Japanese didn't keep meticulous records like the US did. If they did, we'd know exactly when these were built. There is some inof out there and you can can ballpark dates.

I think I now have a soft spot for these Japanese rifles. I might need more!

Arisakas used to be very popular guns to sporterize, especially 7.7's. We sell a moderate amount of the ammo for them (and 6.5's). Remember, they used to have about zero value in the 60's.

They have some history to them and got a bad rap for many years.
Are you loading 7.7 or selling Norma?
BTW: I just added another one to the pile. Neighbor gave it to me last night. It's a Kukora Series 25 that is all matching and all the screws still staked. It's never been taken apart. Pics to follow. That makes 3 Arisakas in less than a week!

Believe it or not Lynne, there's a ton of cosmoline still in it. The bore looks brand new and there are no marks on the mag follower. The 25 looks like it was fired very little if ever at all.

Nice collection you've built there! Best of luck getting the Nagoya all back together, hope you're brother finds the upper handguard.

CD

JonJ said:
Believe it or not Lynne, there's a ton of cosmoline still in it. The bore looks brand new and there are no marks on the mag follower. The 25 looks like it was fired very little if ever at all.

Really??? Wow - the pic makes it look like someone's hand oil is all over it. Or did some of the cosmoline get all over the stock too?

Yup, really. I think it's a combination of cosmo, finish and the figure of the wood. That area looks to be "hand hewn", almost beaver chewed. It was never smoothed out. Finished quickly to get out onto the battlefield.

JonJ said:
Yup, really. I think it's a combination of cosmo, finish and the figure of the wood. That area looks to be "hand hewn", almost beaver chewed. It was never smoothed out. Finished quickly to get out onto the battlefield.

Now that's cool. :D

Well I am glad you picked it up I just finished this one a few months back and I just Picked up the second one last Friday. I just picked up a crappy two piece stock on ebay a couple on minutes ago and a half stock I have already I should be able to piece one together. I may see if I can make a hand guard from the rest of the wood.

5.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
It's one thing when your dad sells his stuff to someone and the bubba it up. Especially today.
I was able to rescue a 1903a3 from a guys son who wanted to bubba it up badly. Thank god his dad was still around. When the guys dad got wind of what he was going to do he told his son to sell it. I was lucky enough to get it.
His Dad rounded up all the parts from its original condition. The dad did have a nice hunting stock on the barreled action but didn't harm anything. I got all the parts a few extras and turned out to be a sweet gun.

So congratulations on your rescue and good luck with the final pieces.
You can convert 30-06 brass to 7.7jap and reload some nice ammo for it also.

Back
Top Bottom