• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Arisaka questions

Inside Out

NES Member
I've had an Arisaka kicking around for a number of years now, but know very little about it and hoping to learn more.

This came to me via inheritance, so I don't know the provenance. (My family had some but not huge interest in guns, and I had a grandfather in the Pacific during the war, but he's long gone and there's no one else who could answer questions about why it was found in the attic.)

Some pics attached. It's a ground-off mum, appears to have all the parts and I have a bayonet as well. I've never shot it. I'm assuming it's an ordinary Type 99 but if there's any additional info that's apparent from the pics I'd appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

A 3.jpg
A 1.jpg
A 2.jpg

Doesn't look too bad for being in the attic but the near the bolt face end and the gas escape hole doesn't look too good. I would check the chamber and the bore closely. Does the bolt move smoothly? No pitting?

Sounds like it may be a bringback from your grandfather. I'd research his unit and where in the pacific he was. If there's no import mark it's a vet bringback.

Somebody really went to town on the Mum. I have a midwar that has the mum taken down cleanly and Still shows the mum outline.

Not to carry another forum’s water, but if you post this over on Gunboards those guys would take about twelve minutes to tell you where it was made, the date the sight was pinned on, and the name of the guy who did the stock finish.

Them dudes know their stuff.

I have one too. My great uncle spent 36 years in the navy. Served from 36 to 72. Pretty much in every major war. Master cheif on destroyers and subs. The Arisaka was the only thing he had from any of the wars. He served in the pacific and in africa. All the marks are on it, it's in really rough shape, but the bolt and trigger work fine. I was thinking of two things: Leave as is, and mount it as a decoration, or clean it up and see if it'll fire.
I'll get some pics here, we can compare and contrast our historical firearms.
I don't know anything about them, but I would like to know more! My father has a WW2 springfield M1 Garand, and a 1903 that are in similar shape. Id love to dig into those as well.

Thanks for the replies. I don't see any obvious import marks on it but confess I don't really know what I'm looking for either. I've got a bunch of research on his unit, 43rd Infantry, though he was in a non-combat role.

The bolt operates smoothly, no issues.

Interesting stuff to try and figure out!

From my Arisaka friend...late 1940, early 1941...

"20th series Kokura, missing cleaning rod, monopod, dust cover, AA wings, and Mum. About a $125 rifle."

t

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for checking that.

Since it’s monetarily just about worthless but possibly a family bring back (something which I’ll never be able to prove or disprove), it’s going back in the safe. And I’m going to stick with the story in my mind that it was wrested by hand from the enemy in the heat of battle, and kept all these years as a testament to our ultimate victory. :)

From my Arisaka friend...late 1940, early 1941...

"20th series Kokura, missing cleaning rod, monopod, dust cover, AA wings, and Mum. About a $125 rifle."

t

I have not seen an Arisaka in any condition sell for $125 unless a junk parts rifle that has been 'sporterized' and therefore no original stock. Wouldn't the OP's rifle be more like minimum $250 and higher if in good shooting condition?

Awesome. Thanks for checking that.

Since it’s monetarily just about worthless but possibly a family bring back (something which I’ll never be able to prove or disprove), it’s going back in the safe. And I’m going to stick with the story in my mind that it was wrested by hand from the enemy in the heat of battle, and kept all these years as a testament to our ultimate victory. :)

You can do that, but that’s just about never true for the ones with ground mums. Those were surrendered and kept in massive piles dockside, where departing GIs bought them for cigarettes.

I have not seen an Arisaka in any condition sell for $125 unless a junk parts rifle that has been 'sporterized' and therefore no original stock. Wouldn't the OP's rifle be more like minimum $250 and higher if in good shooting condition?
Im not any kind of expert on those rifles, but dont recall seeing one sell for <$200. Theres bayonets that list for more than $125.

Bayonets often bring more than rifles.
they are by Hatchers note book one of the strongest receivers to hit the battle fields. Late war production can be sketchy or "last ditch" as they are called.
My great uncle showed us pictures when he was in Japan for a few years just after the war. Seeing piles of rifles being bulldozed off a barge into the ocean. many tens of thousands of ammo dumped right off the docks and so much more silly destroyed.
I don't thing you will see many arisaka with import stamps. Most where brought over by GI's and occupation personell

Here you can have some fun looking up marks
Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II
See how many numbers match on the parts. They seemed to like to use the last 3 digits on parts.
Finding a original matching dust cover must be hard. I have one with a non matching cover and with in 1 min would have tossed that rattle trap if I was going into combat.

should have a chome lined barrel and chamber and be in decent shape. Your stock looks like it's very nice condition.
$125 is low for what you see today. If who ever said $125 it they have a few in as good shape as the OPs for $125 I will take 2 please.

You can do that, but that’s just about never true for the ones with ground mums. Those were surrendered and kept in massive piles dockside, where departing GIs bought them for cigarettes.

Well that’s probably far closer to/or is the truth, but it makes for a less exciting story when replayed in my head.

I’ll dig out the bayonet and post a few pictures.

Here's the bayonet. Some surface rust on the handle and scabbard but the blade is clean and still plenty sharp.

Markings indicate "Unknown company under Kokura supervision"

IMG_4955.jpg IMG_4956.jpg

Back
Top Bottom