Arisaka 99

Nice thread. A friend of mine just pulled out a Type 38 that his Father in Law gave him many years ago. It is a bring back that is missing a few parts. The barrell was packed with cosmoline. At first I thought something was lodged in it until I ran a rod down and all of the cosmoline kept coming out. The bore is mint!! I ordered a few original parts to get this back up to snuff. My buddy thought it was a throw away relic but I convinced him that he has something special on his hands. I cant wait to put it back right for him.

I like this project as it was unplanned....at came together some what quickly. I am now ready to test run them sat nov 3 at hanson rod and gun.
Both have nice clean bores. The scrubbed early manufactured one has a chrome bolt face also....I felt if I at least did not get them up and running quickly they would sit un touched again for ? years. I have 4 projects going on on top of these. 1 more is my 03a3 which im waiting for the tung oil to dry on the last coat!!!!

got to the range

I was able to get to the range. I only shot 5 rounds through each rifle. They worked great. The triggers where a surprise to shoot. Actually nice and smooth and broke clean. Tad heavy but im used to that. The groups where not great but well with in service rifle needs( Minute of softball) The sight picture is neat on these. Both rifles shot about 5" groups and shot low? Im sure i can dial in some hand loads with cast boolits to have some great plinking fun.

Sounds good. I got to see a few fine examples at the WW2 museum in New Orleans this past week. I got to see what parts I am missing and how they go together on the Type 38. I only need a follower and a rear band and I am good to go. Did you run a headspace check on yours? I am thinking about picking up a 6.5 jap field gauge just to be sure.

I did not head space it. Test round chambered nicely. Everything looked vg for function.
So I loaded a few rounds a took a few shots.

Back
Top Bottom