Argentine M1891 Mauser, Spanish American War?

Most imported M91 Argentine Mausers are in pretty decent condition, so when I spied this rifle which was showing every one of its 121 years, I knew something was different. So I bought it and began my research.

The first discovery was the original rear sight (same as 88 Commission rifle), which is nearly unheard of, as nearly all of them were replaced with a different leaf for the introduction of the spitzer bullet in 1910. there are only a handful of these sights noted in collections today.

Next, I examined the receiver ring from every angle with high magnification. It simply showed no evidence of having the Argentine Crest ground off.

Then I hit the archives and found a passage by John W.D. Ball in the appendix of Military Mauser Rifles of the World.

From p.436 APPENDIX, Spanish Model 1891-1893 Mausers:

4. M1891 Long Rifle
ex-Argentina
(ARMY)
7.65 m/m

Collin Webster reports that in October 1893, Spain purchased 5,000-10,000 long rifles from Argentina which (were) in storage at the Loewe factory in Berlin. At that, Spain needed to quickly arm troops deploying to Africa to put down a rebellion in the region of... the Spanish Protectorate of Morocco. After the crisis was over in March, 1894, all Argentine rifles were sent to Cuba in June, 1894. In 1898, a number were captured in the surrender of Santiago de Cuba and returned to Springfield Armory, Massachusetts where they were auctioned off to the public on January 5, 1899. At the conclusion of the auction, 2,047 Argentine pattern rifles were still unsold. These were later acquired by Bannerman... Argentine M1891 Rifles used by Spain will have the pre-1910 sights for round nose munitions (same slide leaf as the German M.1888 Commission Rifle), the early extractor, short handguard, and a magazine without the large locking screw. There is one report that Spanish purchased M1891s were made with blank receivers without the Argentine National Crest, but this cannot be validated at this time.

So, after speaking at length last evening with a long-time Mauser collector, Jack Carahan of West Virginia, who also had one of these crest-less Argentine Mausers pass through his hands a few decades ago, it is possible that this gun is the validation which Colin Webster is seeking for the Argentine Mausers (without crest) which were used by Spain in Cuba during the Spanish American War.

Maybe it's one of those which were auctioned off at Springfield Armory? Maybe not? Regardless, it's a complete matching original Argentine M1891 Infantry Rifle. A dandy, and a super-rare find, for sure.

Pics, and thanks for looking

ArgM91Inf 001.jpg ArgM91Inf 002.jpg ArgM91Inf 009.jpg ArgM91Inf 010.jpg ArgM91Inf 011.jpg

I've got one with no crest but I'm pretty sure it was removed. It's probably my most accurate Mauser type.

It came with one of the aluminum handle bayonet which I heard wasn't correct for it.

The second example has surfaced from the particular Argentine M91 serial number block of G 0-4999. It is in heavy patina, without crest, original matching, with rare early sight, missing cleaning rod and bolt striker, and also in my vault!

[smile]

I believe we can now safely confirm the report of the Spanish purchase of Argentine M1891 rifles without the National Crest.

O5kZ8w9l.jpg

IgagVttl.jpg

ljfjJjml.jpg

hhyLDOHl.jpg

SSFy8K4l.jpg

PWt29PZl.jpg

DeVb0Ycl.jpg

auHkubCl.jpg

MckBsdfl.jpg

OP1Nydsl.jpg

jvaWq3Ol.jpg

vZ8HQVol.jpg

RPxhL1il.jpg

EyLVdlsl.jpg

qo4dnM3l.jpg

yeobnk1l.jpg

VBSYonal.jpg

m83II4Ol.jpg

fUcDpVyl.jpg

PkkcpvIl.jpg

Anacdiql.jpg

AYHKU6El.jpg

faYhcf3l.jpg

9IgToprl.jpg

3osIGFQl.jpg

iD4IrSyl.jpg

JPpij84l.jpg

Qe4nVjzl.jpg

3yaZwhxl.jpg

I7Wjs02l.jpg

w9neJ5Zl.jpg

I picked one up it was in such nice shape but the ground mark looked so bad,I decided to do this.

Attachments

• DSCN4604.jpg
    DSCN4604.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1247.jpg
    100_1247.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN4602.jpg
    DSCN4602.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 21
After replacing them with the M1909, Argentina has sold a large number of M1891's to Peru. Receivers of these rifles were scrubbed of the Argentine crest to disguise their origin.

The G0000 to L4999 block has been made by Loewe in 1894.

After replacing them with the M1909, Argentina has sold a large number of M1891's to Peru. Receivers of these rifles were scrubbed of the Argentine crest to disguise their origin.

The G0000 to L4999 block has been made by Loewe in 1894.

Long story, Juergen. But it may be easier to refer to the thread on Gunboards from August, 2015. In the thread, member Argentino (Colin Webster, author of Argentine Mauser Rifles, 1871-1959) has participated. He has confirmed with me, both publicly and through private messaging, that the Argentine Mausers without crest from the G-prefix 0-4,999 serial number block would have been correct for the rifles sold to Spain, as they don't appear in delivery confirmation to Argentina. Anyway, here's a link.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?408910-Argentine-M91-Showing-Its-Age

Just saw this now.
Thanks for the link (haven't been to gunboards for ages...)

I didn't mean to say that the serial range mentioned were scrubbed ones sold to Peru.
Just wanted to say that there was a large number of rifles w/ scrubbed receivers which were given to Peru.

Yes. The Argentine rifles which were transferred to Peru had the crests scrubbed, and were also fitted with the upgraded 1910 rear sight.

These are a collectible niche unto themselves. Hope to find one someday!

What an interesting find! Just curious if you've ever considered consolidating all your research on your specimens and publishing a book? Your collection is world class.

Are you guys shooting these rifles or just collecting them? (I realize you have a hundred other firearms that can be taken to the range whenever the urge arises).

Are you guys shooting these rifles or just collecting them? (I realize you have a hundred other firearms that can be taken to the range whenever the urge arises).

This is always a personal matter of preference. Some guys like to shoot them, others don't.

Myself? I will not fire a higher end collectible firearm. It makes no sense to risk turning a $2,000 value into a $150 pile of parts, when I can have a lower end shooter to thump my shoulder and poke holes.

Other folks won't own a gun which they won't shoot. No right or wrong in the matter.

I've shot everything once. Most of us with bigger collections have shooters to play with. RC, bolt mm's, CMP M1's, etc.

I will say there is something sweeter about a matched piece - nothing operates as slickly as an all original/correct piece. I reserve it as a very rare treat.

T

Back
Top Bottom