Are you looking for a CCW Florida License?

Ish

Hi guys! Long time since I was around here, many things happened and honestly I had no time to do a thing.

Just want to let you all know that for some reason Florida is issuing CCW Licenses like never before. One of my friends took the class last Monday, the license was issue on Tuesday and he got it in the mail on Friday. I never saw anything like this before, but it looks like everyone is applying for licenses now and they are getting them in no time. I guess it will be the same thing for non residents.

I thought that maybe some of you could be interested.

I moved up to Massachusetts 6 months ago from Florida and still have my CCW from down there. I wonder if I can get it switched to a non-resident CCW and where I get the paperwork from?

Thanks for the heads up

tbear6357, Do you have any family down here? If so, I could recommend you to keep some mail to your family address, doing so you will have duo-residency and you will have all the benefits of the FL license. Remember, that if you change your status from resident to non-resident, you will be restricted by law to just non-resident witch doesn’t allow you to carry in all the 32 states that the resident’s license does.

Anyway, if you want me to, I can get the paperwork together for you to change your status. Just let me know.

They're issuing them so fast because of the new system they started using with digital finger prints and online applications and what not. I had mine 5 days after my appointment, mostly waiting for the check to clear. What a difference from Massachusetts!

Just want to let you all know that for some reason Florida is issuing CCW Licenses like never before.

Not surprised.
The guy from Jupiter that killed his family on Thanksgiving is still on the loose.
A lot of bad stuff happens in Florida, and it's only getting worse in this economy. At least the politicians in Florida don't pretend that the police can protect you and allow people the tools to protect themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still hold a FL Drivers License, however, it would be considered a "summer residence", but they don't know that...could I apply for the FL CCW even though I have a MA one?

If so, where do I sign? :)

I moved up to Massachusetts 6 months ago from Florida and still have my CCW from down there. I wonder if I can get it switched to a non-resident CCW and where I get the paperwork from?

Thanks for the heads up

FL does NOT draw a distinction between Resident and NR permits. It is other states that won't allow reciprocity with FL (and many others) if you aren't a resident of FL with that permit.

TTBOMK, you have to have them mail you the application as it includes a special fingerprint card that they want you to use.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

TTBOMK, you have to have them mail you the application as it includes a special fingerprint card that they want you to use.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html
Yes, or if you find yourself visiting you can stop by many FL Sheriff's offices and do it electronically - but be forewarned they have limited hours in many cases - so call ahead and plan accordingly... As far as I know they only accept electronic records from within the state.

I just did the print card at my local (MA) PD... You might want to request 2 packets so you you have two cards instead of one if you are doing the old-fashioned ink thing...

All of you guys are right about the fingerprints, but even like that 4 or 5 days still a record. I did mine long time ago at the Police Department (almost every Police Department in FL have the new system since the begining of 2008), in my case it took over a month and for some other people it took 6 to 9 months. I guess that something is good about Florida these days.

Ish - Dude! nice to see you back. If you'd been around this summer we probably could have gotten an all NES 4-way together!

We will do that 4 way next season for sure. I couldn't travel this year as much, lots of stuff going on.

Why is it that states like UT and FL are so widely recognized, while more restrictive states like MA and CA are not?

I know, I know, I'm applying logic to this...but I still wonder. Anyone know the answer?

Why is it that states like UT and FL are so widely recognized, while more restrictive states like MA and CA are not?
Actually, MA and CT are recognized in many states. Some states will recognize a permit from any state, whereas some others recognize states that are either certified as "substantially similar in requirements" or which grant reciprocity to the license holders visiting that state. The "must grant reciprocity to our people" is why being more restrictive works against, rather than for, acceptance of the MA LTC in other states.

FL recognizes resident permits from other states, and aggressively pursues reciprocity agreements, in an effort to increase the value of it's permit.

Sometimes working to improve the product backfires - when FL when from 5 to 7 year validity, it caused it to be de-certified in NV (unfortunately, at the same time the other easily obtained NR resident permit - UT - was decertified for a different reason). That means a lot of people who could have carried when it town for the 2009 Shot Show won't be able to this year.

Actually, MA and CT are recognized in many states. Some states will recognize a permit from any state, whereas some others recognize states that are either certified as "substantially similar in requirements" or which grant reciprocity to the license holders visiting that state. The "must grant reciprocity to our people" is why being more restrictive works against, rather than for, acceptance of the MA LTC in other states.

FL recognizes resident permits from other states, and aggressively pursues reciprocity agreements, in an effort to increase the value of it's permit.

Sometimes working to improve the product backfires - when FL when from 5 to 7 year validity, it caused it to be de-certified in NV (unfortunately, at the same time the other easily obtained NR resident permit - UT - was decertified for a different reason). That means a lot of people who could have carried when it town for the 2009 Shot Show won't be able to this year.

Which states recognizes MA? I have an old list the shows the following back from 2002.

Massachusetts ID, IN, KY, MI*, MT UT

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I thought that even though UT and FL licenses have wide reciprocity that the UT and FL non-res permits did not have the same reciprocity, that you indeed need to be a state resident for reciprocity.

I believe a FL. non resident license to carry is good to go in all the states that alllow FL. carry licenses unless it is specifically spelled out in that state regulation that you have to have a resident FL. carry license.

How would reciprocity be looked at in a state that honors a Massachusetts license if that MA license is restricted? If the license says "cannot carry concealed".

They're issuing them so fast because of the new system they started using with digital finger prints and online applications and what not. I had mine 5 days after my appointment, mostly waiting for the check to clear. What a difference from Massachusetts!

At least the politicians in Florida don't pretend that the police can protect you and allow people the tools to protect themselves.

Yup yup. It also helps that the Division of Licensing doubled their staff. During the initial run on permits (Obamamania, as others call it) they got so backed up that they couldn't issue them on time. But under FL law, they are required to issue the license within 90 days, so they hired more staff to keep up with the demand.

In Mass. I'd imagine they'd scowl at you and say "Tough sh**."

Yes, or if you find yourself visiting you can stop by many FL Sheriff's offices and do it electronically - but be forewarned they have limited hours in many cases - so call ahead and plan accordingly... As far as I know they only accept electronic records from within the state.

I just did the print card at my local (MA) PD... You might want to request 2 packets so you you have two cards instead of one if you are doing the old-fashioned ink thing...

Correct on both points. Electronic prints can only be done in state, and two packets is a great idea (I had them do 2 sets of prints at the PD and I mailed in the better one, but kept the other as a spare in case it was denied).

I know, I know, I'm applying logic to this...but I still wonder. Anyone know the answer?

Florida won't recognize a permit from a state unless there's reciprocity, meaning MA or CA would have to honor their permit, which I doubt will happen via agreement between the states anytime soon.

Texas specifically honors a Mass. permit, even though Mass. doesn't recognize Texas...it's different in every state.

Which states recognizes MA? I have an old list the shows the following back from 2002.

Massachusetts ID, IN, KY, MI*, MT UT

I believe you can add Oklahoma and Texas to that list.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I thought that even though UT and FL licenses have wide reciprocity that the UT and FL non-res permits did not have the same reciprocity, that you indeed need to be a state resident for reciprocity.

I believe a FL. non resident license to carry is good to go in all the states that alllow FL. carry licenses unless it is specifically spelled out in that state regulation that you have to have a resident FL. carry license.

For some. See Florida's Concealed Carry Reciprocity.

There's 4 states on that list that only honor a Florida resident permit, but the rest of the states on there honor a non-resident permit as well. It's $117 for 7 years of carrying in more than half the US, well worth it if you travel at all.

How would reciprocity be looked at in a state that honors a Massachusetts license if that MA license is restricted? If the license says "cannot carry concealed".

It depends on the state. Usually they have contact info for whoever does licensinf on their website, but I can't say for sure either way.

Last edited:
Yup yup. It also helps that the Division of Licensing doubled their staff. During the initial run on permits (Obamamania, as others cal it) they got so backed up that they couldn't issue them on time. But under FL law, they are required to issue the license within 90 days, so they hired more staff to keep up with the demand.

In Mass. I'd imagine they'd scowl at you and say "Tough sh**."
Actually, what they do (and just did) is ask for the legislature to re-write the law to give them more time... [sad2]

They were complaining that they did not have the time/resources to complete restoration of rights reviews within the statutory limit - so they just asked to give themselves more time...

Actually, what they do (and just did) is ask for the legislature to re-write the law to give them more time... [sad2]

They were complaining that they did not have the time/resources to complete restoration of rights reviews within the statutory limit - so they just asked to give themselves more time...

That's disgusting. Similar to how the restoring gun rights to felons just doesn't get funded federally.

For the fingerprint card as part of the FL CCW application, we need to use FL's fingerprint card, right? Not a 'generic' (any) fingerprint card? Once I receive that I just go to my local PD and have them fingerprint me?

For the fingerprint card as part of the FL CCW application, we need to use FL's fingerprint card, right? Not a 'generic' (any) fingerprint card? Once I receive that I just go to my local PD and have them fingerprint me?
Correct and correct - you send for a packet from the FL dept of agriculture and blah-d-blah and then send you a packet that includes the laws, forms and finger print card. Might want to ask for 2 packets to get to cards as mentioned earlier in this thread in case your PD goofs the prints - its an art not a science getting good prints.

Utah will issue a Concealed Firearm Permit.
NH will issue a non-resident Pistol/Revolver License.
PA will issue a self defense permit.
As you will see, you are trusted in over 30 states except the one you live in.
Best regards.

I am buying a condo in FL soon, but for now I am going down for about a month.
I went to their site to order the packet and it said it cant be processed at this time, anyone ever has that happen to them?

Back
Top Bottom