Are you Going to Train This Year?

M.Nastek

Instructor
NES Member
So, How many of you Gunmen and Women are going to actually going to put your money $$$$ where it counts this year and take a course from someone? Or is the Excuse machine going to run like the US post office stamp making machine.

Lets see a show of hands here and let us know with whom and where you are going to get your training for 2007.

I was until my boiler needed replacing and I had 2 emergency visits in a row to the tune of a few hundred $$$ each. Why? Are you going to make me a deal I can't pass up because the training is more important than either the money I spend or that you earn?

I'll be attending a one-day advanced CCW training at my club, put on by a an ATP/Federal Flight Deck Officer on May 19th.

I am also starting to save my pennies for some handgun training at Tactical Defense Institute. Probably take their Handgun Level II in June.

At this point, training with pistols is more relevant for me.

At least one course, I've already been in touch with an instructor to get his schedule. I'm going to see if my wife will take one as well.

TELE MARK,

Just to let you know I pay for all my training, I get nothing for free, and on top of it all we provide all the logistic support for the instructors, range set up, transportation for the trainers. and more.

Nothing in life is free hasn't anyone told you that before.

We all have bills and emergency's.

$5 bucks for a pack of cigarettes per day $150.00 dollars
$3 bucks for a cup of coffee a starbuck or DDS $90.00 dollars
Gotta buy that scratch ticket If you dont play you can't win $30.00 dollars
S*it give this livestyle up for a month and look what money you would have.

I'm a Heating and AC contractor and I here all the stories all the time, But guess what if its more than 12-15 years old you already got every dollars worth out of it and you should start planning for the failure. My advise to everyone is have an emergency expense account just for your households major items and it will be there when that water heater with the 5-7 year warranty fails on the tenth year and that furnace or boiler that has a twenty year warranty and it is on its way out after 15 years of mistreatment.

Gee, thanks, it's really f***ing groovy being talked down to by you, I'm really enjoying it.

TELE MARK,

Just to let you know I pay for all my training, I get nothing for free, and on top of it all we provide all the logistic support for the instructors, range set up, transportation for the trainers. and more.

Nothing in life is free hasn't anyone told you that before.

We all have bills and emergency's.

$5 bucks for a pack of cigarettes per day $150.00 dollars

I don't smoke.

$3 bucks for a cup of coffee a starbuck or DDS $90.00 dollars

I don't do Starbucks coffee

Gotta buy that scratch ticket If you dont play you can't win $30.00 dollars

I don't buy scratch tickets.

S*it give this livestyle up for a month and look what money you would have.

I'm a Heating and AC contractor and I here all the stories all the time, But guess what if its more than 12-15 years old you already got every dollars worth out of it and you should start planning for the failure. My advise to everyone is have an emergency expense account just for your households major items and it will be there when that water heater with the 5-7 year warranty fails on the tenth year and that furnace or boiler that has a twenty year warranty and it is on its way out after 15 years of mistreatment.

I bought this house 3 years ago. The boiler was a big unknown, but I knew it was going to go sooner or later. Didn't have time to establish an "emergency account" for the furnace. But like I said, thanks for talking down to me and letting me know what my situation is -- you obviously know it so much f***ing better than I do.

But since this is all about fre advice, let me offer up some to you -- you might want to change your advertising approach a bit -- I think you're going to find it grating on some nerves and will lose you some prospective customers in the long run.

Tel Mark

Not talking down to anyone and not to you directly, just venting on all the I cant stuff I hear constantly. And I am not advertising I'm a member and we all pay our way. We bring the trainers here so we dont have to spend our hard earned dollars traveling to them in Arizona. Las Vegas Montana Etc. We lose money every year because we enjoy what we do for ourselves and others.

$ 500 dollar class + Plane Fair $500 - $700+ Hotel $ 600 +- Food $ 30-50 a day Just add it all up and one can realize that taking a class here is a real value and we work real hard to make it happen and would like everyone to appreciate it and partake in the fun and training with all of us.

No insult intended. Apology extended.

I have never taken a class, why would this year be any different. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I could never justify the cost. I took the mandatory basic class after spending eight years in the U.S. Army in a combat arms MOS. I go to the range no less than every other week often much more often. I am familiar with all the firearms I own and can hit what I aim at with satisfactory accuracy. My range hours are usually weekday mornings and often I am the only one there, so I can practice drawing from my IWB holster, or shooting while moving, or from a low crouch. Maybe I'm just kidding myself but I feel fairly confident and yes I bet my life on it. Just my .02 and no disrespect meant for those who teach or attend classes, when my kids are older and my finances are better I might start taking classes to get other perspectives / points of view on things. Until then I'll read what I can on the subject and train on my own.

I'm still waiting for LTC, if it is for ALP, then I shall take GOALs Art of Concealed Carry, also waiting for acceptence into Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club. They have intro into IDPA.

Well for what it's worth one of my New Year resoluions was to take at least 2 training classes this year. I just did a 2 day snubby class at Sigarms and I am registered for a handgun class at the S&W Academy in April. Since it is only March and I have achieved my goal I will set a new goal to take 2 more classes in 07.
Luckily, I am financially able to do it, my time is the bigger factor. Like most things it comes down to priorities. In my case just not buying one new gun pays for 2 classes. So when I look back over any given year I know that I could have trained and if I did not it was because I simply did not make it happen.
I run a business and like most folks I work a lot. However, we do not have any children and that makes it easier. Still, making time can be tough. I can only take so many weekends away, or even single days. My wife is extremely supportive, but I do not want to abuse her good nature.

I have no judgement about what anyone else does. However, for me I have decided that training is a priority and so I make it happen.

So, How many of you Gunmen and Women are going to actually going to put your money $$$$ where it counts this year and take a course from someone? Or is the Excuse machine going to run like the US post office stamp making machine.

Lets see a show of hands here and let us know with whom and where you are going to get your training for 2007.

Edited to remove my own nasty reply

Last edited:

As far as this woman goes...I'll take a class if I have the $$$'s to do it, MP. I have taken classes in the past, as well as teach personal protection. Not only do I practice, I'm also a damn fine shot. And, fwiw, if I don't happen to take a class this year, I don't need a bloody "Excuse machine", thankyouverymuch.

As far as this woman goes...I'll take a class if I have the $$$'s to do it, MP. I have taken classes in the past, as well as teach personal protection. Not only do I practice, I'm also a damn fine shot. And, fwiw, if I don't happen to take a class this year, I don't need a bloody "Excuse machine", thankyouverymuch.

Still nicer than what I deleted [wink]

Taking the concealed carry class at GOAL in Northboro a coupl'a weeks ago showed me there is a need for additional traning.

Crap happens and choices need to be made. When finances improve I will be looking into some training.

Its amazing the mindsets that are out there. I intended this question to entice opinion and controversy which seems to have happened. I see that there are some true sheepdogs out there as well as comfortable sheep. So be it. There seems to always be a reason "Not Too" and Have Too. I always have been a positive minded individual, with a can do attitude, and looking for a challenge always maybe a fault. But thats who I am.
Back ground Divorced, Single dad with custody for 15 years, raising 2 daughters on my own, with no child support go figure I have Ba**s,
Daughter #1 paying for her education and helping with my 4 year old grandson, training my son inlaw in the trade, Daughter # 2 graduating then attending Nursing school, Bills I have bills like everyone but protecting my family and my life style has been a priority, and up holding my end of the constitution and I have made all of the sacrifices. Working as a Bartender, Bouncer, Sheet metal Foreman, running a business, So I do understand about $$$.

So what is to much to pay for a class? I don't know what is free really worth? If offered by a friend invaluable,take what you can if you can't then do the best you can. But do something to become aware of your inabilities and abilities. And always check your six. Hopefully there will be a trained back up just around the corner.

Its amazing the mindsets that are out there. I intended this question to entice opinion and controversy which seems to have happened. I see that there are some true sheepdogs out there as well as comfortable sheep. So be it. There seems to always be a reason "Not Too" and Have Too. I always have been a positive minded individual, with a can do attitude, and looking for a challenge always maybe a fault. But thats who I am.
Back ground Divorced, Single dad with custody for 15 years, raising 2 daughters on my own, with no child support go figure I have Ba**s,
Daughter #1 paying for her education and helping with my 4 year old grandson, training my son inlaw in the trade, Daughter # 2 graduating then attending Nursing school, Bills I have bills like everyone but protecting my family and my life style has been a priority, and up holding my end of the constitution and I have made all of the sacrifices. Working as a Bartender, Bouncer, Sheet metal Foreman, running a business, So I do understand about $$$.

So what is to much to pay for a class? I don't know what is free really worth? If offered by a friend invaluable,take what you can if you can't then do the best you can. But do something to become aware of your inabilities and abilities. And always check your six. Hopefully there will be a trained back up just around the corner.

You need to knock off your crap. Your dilema is much the same as many of us here.

The only thing you have accomplished in the past few days is turn several people away from training with NEShooters. If you are a representative of such, I'm sure Mr. Conway is embarassed of your current tactics.

You need to knock off your crap. Your dilema is much the same as many of us here.

The only thing you have accomplished in the past few days is turn several people away from training with NEShooters. If you are a representative of such, I'm sure Mr. Conway is embarassed of your current tactics.

+1 to that Tony

Okay MP, lemme give you a bit of my background (only because I don't know who you're calling comfortable sheep).

1) I was raped at knife point.
2) My ex-husband tried to kill me by stangulation. (which is when I left being a liberal behind and became a gun owner)
3) I was stalked.

Now, let's talk priority in ones life. I don't target shoot for fun much anymore. The vast majority of my trips to the range (without a student) is spent working on my technique in drawing from the holster, focusing on my shot placement and critiquing the target to see if that last round would have killed the SOB.

I've lived in fear because of being a victim. I won't list all the ways that fear controlled my life, but I didn't HAVE a life until I got my first hand gun and found out that I was a pretty decent shot. Once I discovered that I could not only hit the damn target, but blow the "X" out at 21', I suddenly had something that I hadn't had for a very long time. Freedom. Let me tell ya something huney - YOU try being a victim and then you tell me just how aware you are of where you are and who and what is around you at all times. I've walked in those shoes. I've lived through the violence. I will NOT be a victim again. 'nuff said.

+100 to that. I had actually begun researching some classes. I have been a gun owner and shooter for a long time, but have never been formally trained. I am looking to change that. I now have 1 place I can cross off my list of potential places to take a course. The one thing I do not need at this point in my life is someone with an attitude.

Back
Top Bottom