• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are these ruined?

Long story short, my reloading equipment stayed stored in a basement for a few years. Despite being in the factory boxes they rusted quite bad. What do you boys think? Soak em in something? Anything?

Attachments

• 20190417_140814.jpg
    20190417_140814.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 224
carbide doesn't rust. You need to soak them in something for a while. You'll get 100 different answers as to what to use. I lake marvel mystery oil.

Limiting my response to dies: scrap and replace.

The concept of "rust removal" is a misnomer. When steel rusts, some of the constituent iron is converted into ferric oxide. Even if, either mechanically or chemically, you can remove all of the ferric oxide, the underlying substrate will be pitted where steel has gone away. The only way to restore the smooth surface important for dies would be by grinding and polishing, which.necessarily changes the critical dimensions of the die.

If the insides are good (good chance they are) you can use just about any rust removal option.
Personally with the time and effort I think I would just buy replacements being Lee dies are not expensive.
I would hit them with a wire wheel and spray them with some sort if rust converter. Then give them a good coat of rust preventive.
My front sight adjuster tool for my sks rusted up. I used OSPHO ? Spl? Rust converter , almost parkerizes the metal . Then I use rust inhibator sprays on all my
Stuff.
Years ago I had a rust over event. Since then I use VCI products , emitters, bags, paper. I even save the VCI papers from parts at work and toss them in a box for future use or other projects

The dies are only part of the problem, despite being wrapped up, my Lock and Load progressive press also has some rust, so, hopefully I can buy those piece's individually.

The inside of the dies appears ok. Ill try to clean them before I replace them. Hate buying things twice.

Do you have a wet tumbler with stainless pins? If so, disassemble the dies and tumble them in there as you would brass cases.

I would get them clean and look inside to see if there is any surface pitting. If they are still nice and smooth, probably OK. If not, replace if you need to. I've cleaned up a rusty machine tool ways that looked worse than that and there was nothing but surface rust. Once cleaned up they worked fine.

Nobody has actually mentioned it, but there aren't many critical dimensions in straight wall handgun caliber dies. It's already been established that the carbide resizing rings and titanium-coated resizing rings shouldn't be rusted in the first place. We'd be looking at the expanding and crimping surfaces, and I have to wonder how much pitting would be required that these wouldn't function properly after they're cleaned up. I would think it'd have to be a helluva lot.

Nobody has actually mentioned it, but there aren't many critical dimensions in straight wall handgun caliber dies. It's already been established that the carbide resizing rings and titanium-coated resizing rings shouldn't be rusted in the first place. We'd be looking at the expanding and crimping surfaces, and I have to wonder how much pitting would be required that these wouldn't function properly after they're cleaned up. I would think it'd have to be a helluva lot.
Carbide and titanium might not rust but put them with other metals and the corrosion can happen

I've stored dies in way less than ideal conditions for 40 years and never seen anything like this. That said it made me think what should you do to avoid this problem?
It looks like the dies that rusted at some point where cleaned heavily and never oiled again.
Also lee is not known for using steel with high anti corrosive properties.
My guess lee used some of the cheapest easiest to machine steel they can get.

Also remember for steel to rust (oxidize) it needs the air around it changed out. If you seal the item it wont rust as bad do to lack of O2, O2 from moister or air itself.
My rcbs dies rust where I touch them.

Last edited:
Long story short, my reloading equipment stayed stored in a basement for a few years. Despite being in the factory boxes they rusted quite bad. What do you boys think? Soak em in something? Anything?

I would start with Lee's warranty: Satisfaction Guaranteed - Lee Precision

Says right in their statement, Any Lee product regardless of age or condition...

Guarantee.jpg

Satisfaction.jpg

Back
Top Bottom