• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chronograph suggestions (that are not shooting crony alpha)

My Chronograph failed me for the last time today.
failure.jpg

So I need a new chronograph. Preferably one that can operate in more than one single lighting condition. The crony needed a cloudless day, with the sun at a 67 degree angle. Wanted to hear what other people are using, if they work in multiple lighting conditions, etc. Thank you

Using the same as the 3 above. For handgun, never tried it with rifle.
Phone app is pretty slick. Exported data is pretty straightforward. Example is on 2nd page, last reply here-

Took some cardbaord from a 30 pack and made a half-ass roof/ sunshade extension.

How are those LabRadar set ups
I have a old shooting chrony
Tired of its fickle nature I built a cover for it from a old tote , works much better but more of a pita to set up so I use it less

I am using this one. So far cloudy and sunny conditions were ok, but it does not like one sensor is a shade and other one in straight sun. Works ok overall.

Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Chronograph White Amazon product ASIN B07FTJYQ9ZView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTJYQ9Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_G1SKD6P7T0JWXPEC45XA
Seconded. I have this one as well. The phone App for it works and is easy to use.
Using the same as the 3 above. For handgun, never tried it with rifle.
Phone app is pretty slick. Exported data is pretty straightforward. Example is on 2nd page, last reply here-

Took some cardbaord from a 30 pack and made a half-ass roof/ sunshade extension.
I just ordered this Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX . What do you guys set it on, or attach it to? I think I read somewhere that it will attach to a camera stand. Is that right? I'd like to get my set up complete when it arrives. Thanks in advance

I know it’s not the NES way but I have a Manfrotto which i use for photography and also for the chrony. The stability is phenomenal.

Hell no lol. I don’t use the chrono that often so I ain’t spending hundreds on a tripod lol
Holy moly, those are like $1000+!

Not sure why you would need a carbon fiber tripod, we're not trekking 800 miles with the thing. Manfrotto has a carbon fiber one, but on my travels the aluminum one is fine, just toss it in my backpack. It's invaluable when taking pictures inside buildings. Outside it's just if I want a picture of myself and don't want to ask anyone else :)

Holy moly, those are like $1000+!

Not sure why you would need a carbon fiber tripod, we're not trekking 800 miles with the thing. Manfrotto has a carbon fiber one, but on my travels the aluminum one is fine, just toss it in my backpack. It's invaluable when taking pictures inside buildings. Outside it's just if I want a picture of myself and don't want to ask anyone else :)
If I was doing some type of long range PRS shooting maybe I’d get one?

If I was doing some type of long range PRS shooting maybe I’d get one?
And smoking crack.

Apparently Manfrotto has some in the same price range, which is out of my price range: manfrotto mt057 | B&H Photo Video

But those have 44 lb weight capacities.

The worst thing about my chrony is that you connect it to your headphone jack and I just got a new phone that no longer has the headphone jack so I had to buy an adaptor

slik tripods are cheap and fine. you do not need it for photography, so an aluminum will work just fine, no need for a light carbon fiber.
heavy manfrottos are good for studio work. or you can put arca-swiss mount on one and shoot a prs rifle from it, it will handle it, the heavy one.

Amazon product ASIN B00JJ2Z4LAView: https://www.amazon.com/Sprint-Aluminum-Tripod-SBH-150DQ-611-875/dp/B00JJ2Z4LA/ref=sr_1_13

speaking of arca-swiss, i recently got this one, and it is just fine. haters gonna hate. i already had a a heavy 45lbs rated manfrotto from my photo-video days.
Amazon product ASIN B0B5WTPVH7View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5WTPVH7

slik tripods are cheap and fine. you do not need it for photography, so an aluminum will work not a carbon fiber.
heavy manfrottos are good for studio work. or you can put arca-swiss mount on one and shoot a prsrifle from it, it will handle it, the heavy ones.

Amazon product ASIN B00JJ2Z4LAView: https://www.amazon.com/Sprint-Aluminum-Tripod-SBH-150DQ-611-875/dp/B00JJ2Z4LA/ref=sr_1_13
I wouldn't have bought the Manfrotto just for the chrony, but was a good opportunity for reuse.

Just tossing it out there to add to the discussion. I also have the $19 one from Amazon for when I want to film something with my phone.

I wouldn't have bought the Manfrotto just for the chrony, but was a good opportunity for reuse.

Just tossing it out there to add to the discussion. I also have the $19 one from Amazon for when I want to film something with my phone.
if you want manfrotto - i think i have this 190 but very old one, in aluminum. it is a pretty immortal piece of gear.
this one they rate to 33lbs, minewas at 40lbs, but they look very similar.
chono does not need that much beef in legs, really, but if you put an arca head on it - you can mount the chrono or the rifle on it upon your desire.

Seeing how the thing only weighs about 2 pounds, the cheap $20 camera stand should be ok. My only concern would be the wind knocking it over.

What do you guys set it on, or attach it to? I think I read somewhere that it will attach to a camera stand. Is that right? I'd like to get my set up complete when it arrives.

I set mine on one of those blue barrels.
It is threaded on the bottom, not sure on thread size.
Don't forget to download the app

I'm wrong. Here is the spec from the mfgr

Specifications
Velocity Range: 20 – 9,999 feet per second
Temperature Range: 20-100 degrees Fahrenheit
Size: 16x4x3-1/4 inches
Weight: 2.1 lbs
Battery Required: One 9-volt alkaline battery
Battery Life: Approx. 20 hours of operation
Current Consumption: Approx. 20mA
Mounting Hole Thread: 1/4x20
Guide Wire Size: 3/16x16 inches
Memory Capacity: Up to 9 strings of up to 99 shots each
Minimum Time Between Shots: 500 mSec
Shot Timing Resolution: 31 nSec (8000 counts @ 4,000fps) Crystal Controlled
Accuracy: +/-.5% of measured velocity or better
Bluetooth: BT2 and BT4LE

I see tripods at yardsales all the time.
P snagged one a few years ago made in japan with all aluminum parts including the quick release piece. Its pretty heavy duty and lady said it was from the 80s
Tri pods are very common at yard sales. I gave away 2 few weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom