are the bushmaster carbon pistols legal in mass??

No pistols are legal or not legal, they are only illegal for an FFL to transfer them to you.

There are no ar-15 pistols that are MA compliant.

You would have to find a pre-AWB one. I saw one once at ZHA, and they wanted $1650 for it.

They certainly aren't on the EOPS list, and most certainly will never pass muster with the AG. In addition, you run into AWB issues (manuf. weight of over 50oz, magazine outside pistol grip, barrel shroud) with new ones.

As whatluck said, you should be GTG if you find a preban example, and a dealer to transfer it to you, but that'll come at a premium.

Your best bet is to go the SBR route. Even with the $200 tax stamp you could build yourself a nice SBR on a post ban reciever and still have enough mod money to buy some nice magpul goodies (if that's your thing) and would not be subject to the impossible 50oz limitation, and you can have a stock.

No pistols are legal or not legal....

Not to nitpick, but that's not 100% accurate. There are indeed pistols that don't comply the AWB and therefore are technically illegal to posses in MA.

As you mentioned a pre-ban would be one way to go.
PROS: No silly AWB restrictions on weight, barrel shrouds, etc
CONS: Expensive, limited availability, some potential legal gray area

Another way would be to build one from parts that complies with the AWB once assembled.
PROS: Cheaper in theory, though buying specialized low-weight parts definitely adds up quickly.
CONS: Silly AWB restrictions basically make the end result pretty much useless.

I looked into doing this at one point (even bought a polymer lower) and although theoretically possible the hassle and expense were just not worth it to me personally. I agree that SBR or AOW are more practical and certainly easier to do (fewer hoops to jump through.)

Simple answer to the OP's specific question: No, the Bushmaster pistols that are currently on the market are not legal to posses or transfer in MA unless you happen to find one that qualifies as pre-ban. (And I'm not sure that pre-ban versions even exist. I ~think~ those came out after the ban.)

Back
Top Bottom