• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

are chances better

Are they Lawrence cops???

Depends on the town, licensing officer, etc, but as a rule of thumb I'd say maybe.

I change my answer to depends on the town, licensing officer, etc, but as a rule of thumb I'd say maybe.

In all seriousness, some people know the chiefs personally and get denied, others don't know anyone and get their LTC-A ALP. It all depends on the town and the department.

That's absolutely true. I remember I think it was LenS saying that Boston PD shut down some Boston College PD guys for ALPs.

That's absolutely true. I remember I think it was LenS saying that Boston PD shut down some Boston College PD guys for ALPs.

I don't recall saying that but I did say that a FT Boston PO was given a hard time by his chief in a Southern suburb (said chief was going to restrict the Boston PO to "on duty only" - meaningless)! The chief in question was one of the more recent Secretaries of Public Safety . . . one that stonewalled a number of attempts by GCAB to do its job IIRC.

LenS,

You're right, I heard that from another LEO, not you. But that said, its a pretty sad state of affairs.

If the chief is generally an anti you can have a cadre of FBI agents and
police "vouch for you" and it will do nothing. The hardcore anti chiefs in
this state won't even give A/ALP to many police officers! That trick might
work in a "yellow" town but in a deep red, forget it, unless you're also politically
well connected.

-Mike

If you are going to use an officer for a reference, make sure you're not hiding something in your past that he doesn't know about.
I had a close friend use me for a reference. Just after the new gun control laws of '98 he renewed. I was called in by the licensing officer and ask "How well do you know XXX". Real well I say. Then I'm handed a computer print out with his record, a federal record. He had been convicted and served time in the 70's for a Customs charge. The charge? Failure to pay import duty. What did he import? MARIJUANA! He had a very good lawyer. He beat the drug charge and was only whacked with the Customs charge.
He was a real nice guy and I never would have expected. He told me that it was in a "former life". We had a hell of a good laugh about it. I was very sad when he passed away 2 years ago. And no, he was refused his renewal but kept a 12ga in his closet.

Then there was the guy who was refused a renewal and asked me to write him a letter of recommendation by request of his attorney. Why was he refused? He had been convicted of being in possession of grenades and similar ordinance stolen from a Marine Camp. No, I did not write the recommendation.

I'd be interested to know if Lawrence PD is still requiring an applicant for an LTC to bring in a letter from their physician stating that "the applicant is physically and mentally able to ossess and shoot a firearm in the physicians opinion. I know a first time applicant who had a completely clean record and he had to get a letter from his physician(I can't believe a physician wrote it for him) and he still got a restricted LTC for hunting and target and he knew the licensing officer. You're correct... IT'S MADNESS IN MASS>!!!

commandcaddy

I had one on my reference list but it was because he is the father of my best friend when I was a kid. So he knows me really well regardless.

Next think you know we'll all be pissing in cups for each renewal. I hope NH stays free so I won't have to far to go if I get fed up with MA.

I'd be interested to know if Lawrence PD is still requiring an applicant for an LTC to bring in a letter from their physician stating that "the applicant is physically and mentally able to ossess and shoot a firearm in the physicians opinion. I know a first time applicant who had a completely clean record and he had to get a letter from his physician(I can't believe a physician wrote it for him) and he still got a restricted LTC for hunting and target and he knew the licensing officer. You're correct... IT'S MADNESS IN MASS>!!!

commandcaddy

According to the LPD website it's still a requirement (then again... they still have the application fee listed as being $35.00)...

Applicants for a Class A LTC will be required to submit the following:

* A completed LTC permit application,
* A birth certificate,
* Proof of citizenship or naturalization,
* Proof of residence in Lawrence or having a place of business in Lawrence,
* A letter from the applicant’s physician stating the applicant has no medical or psychological issues that would preclude him/her from owning, carrying, or legally using a firearm. A letter is not required on renewals,
* A firearms safety certificate, issued by a certified firearms safety instructor who has satisfied the requirements of the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police or a certificate issued by the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, (Not required for renewals)
* Obtain a letter from their employer stating the reasons why they would need to carry a weapon for work-related purposes. If self-employed, a letter on their letterhead describing the reason that the carrying of a firearm is necessary. If the reason for the need to carry were not of a work-related nature, a letter explaining the need would have to be submitted.

Once the applicant has assembled all the necessary paperwork, he/she should drop it off to the Firearms Licensing Office. They will be contacted for an appointment, at which time they will be fingerprinted and photographed. The cost of the application or renewal process is $35.00, cash or check, payable to the City of Lawrence. This fee includes the two photographs. There will be no renewal fee for anyone over the age of 70.

commandcaddy

Yea they do, and from what I've been told, the police even need a note.

I purposely used to POs as references on my LTC applications. Both are good friends, we were all members of the same gun club (I used to shoot with one of them every Sunday for a number of years) and former co-workers for lots of years. However, as I told both of them, I used their names because the chief hates both of them! [laugh][rofl][laugh2]

Until someone has the balls and bread to actually challenge this asinine "requirement."

Knucking under to bullies just encourages them.

I think the bread is more likely the thing stopping most. Those with the type of money to blow on a multiyear court battle just buy their LTC-A ALP through their contributions to local politicians.

I think the bread is more likely the thing stopping most. Those with the type of money to blow on a multiyear court battle just buy their LTC-A ALP through their contributions to local politicians.

You are woefully deluded. "Local politicians" don't issue LTC's; police chiefs do. And few of them take orders from elected officials. The Brookline case (STILL pending over 3 weeks after the hearing) is a prime example of how wealth means nothing to a chief.

You are woefully deluded. "Local politicians" don't issue LTC's; police chiefs do. And few of them take orders from elected officials. The Brookline case (STILL pending over 3 weeks after the hearing) is a prime example of how wealth means nothing to a chief.

Did you mean to post years?

(Is it the Lu case you're referring to ?)

So, this a recent case?

What did O'Leary/Raskin do this time?

(if there's nothing prohibiting you from posting the details).

Well, more likely that those with enough money will simply move or operate
a business in a green locality, which makes things a hell of a lot
easier to deal with. There are also some yellow towns which will issue
to business owners no problem while they give everyone else a huge
hassle.

Moving is more than likely cheaper than anything other than a minor court
skirmish. (depends on how long it lasts)

And yes, while this is capitulating to terrorists, basically, some people have a
life or their LTC problem (eg, restricted license) is not solveable by waging a
huge court battle with the town/police. Or at least I've never heard of a
restricted LTC being changed due to a court case, if scriv, cross-x, or
jcohen knows about such a case, perhaps we should be enlightened?)
Challenging a denial, or a suitability denial, on the other hand, often times
there are legal avenues to try to obtain a positive result. Shedding a
restriction, on the other hand, is a pain in the ass, and is usually only
done by moving or a chief getting swapped out for a new one that is not
an anti-gun a**h***.

This isn't like in some may issue states where the sherriff issued the license,
where you can just inject a couple of maximum $ campaign contributions
and get a CCW. (course, many of those states are now shall issue
anyways).

Edit: MA is more of a "who you know" state than "how rich you are" although
that helps... but in order to get what you want you can't change much of anything
unless you're well connected to the hack network that runs this state. And even
then, if bad chief is a -new- hack, that might not even work.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom