Archery sub-forum?

In addition to firearms, I also shoot archery. I don't hunt with a bow, so perhaps this is not the correct forum to post archery info within. However, I'd guess there are a fair number of NES members that also shoot archery and maybe the site managers could set up a separate forum for us?

That said, I'm just getting back into shooting (all kinds) after a 15 year layoff. There have been a lot of changes in what I'd call techno-archery since I hung up my bow. Fortunately, the internet has a lot of sites to provide info on all the new toys. Wading through all of the stuff is a bit of a challenge though. If anyone can recommend good sites for getting newbies and retreads up to speed it would be a great help.

BTW, I needed a new string on my compound bow and stopped by TePee Archery in Acton to get it replaced. The service was great and the cost quite reasonable. From a brief discussion with Brian (pro shop manager) it sounds as if 3D has become much more popular than field archery shoots. Any thoughts on that topic?

Jim B:
Bear Pronghorn Hunter, Bear Delta-V, Jennings Unistar, Bear Grizzly

The people on archerytalk were very helpful to me when I got back into it. I shoot in my basement most of the time, nice way to relax, I have tried, but not succedded to hunt with it, putting more time in next year. What kind of equipment are you using? The new bows make it so much easier because they shoot pretty flat.

BTW, I needed a new string on my compound bow and stopped by TePee Archery in Acton to get it replaced. The service was great and the cost quite reasonable.

Jim B:
Bear Pronghorn Hunter, Bear Delta-V, Jennings Unistar, Bear Grizzly

Anyone been to Trader Jan's, my Darton needs some work. They are one of the only Darton pro shops in the area, but I have never been there.

Any reputable shop will fix what ails your Darton.

3D is pretty wild. For ten bucks you get to keep all your ammo if you don't lose it. I would definately be more into it once I start, finish my kitchen.

Archery sub would be cool.

Anyone shoot traditional? I shot 3-D for years with the longbow and sometimes recurve. Found it relaxing to make my own Flemish strings and wooden arrows. Never hunted anything larger than a woodchuck. Used to ride my horse along the edge of the pasture and shoot at whistlepigs who were not afraid of the big animals. Shot several from horseback and missed many, many more. I could not get within 100 yards of a woodchuck on foot, but with the horse I could get right on top of them (15 feet). Too bad I couldn't shoot like Howard Hill.

John

John

Anyone been to Trader Jan's, my Darton needs some work. They are one of the only Darton pro shops in the area, but I have never been there.

First off im new to archery, I bought a older Bear compound bow on C/L last month. Anyway the price was right so I bought it, the draw was 30 and it was a little to long for me. I took it to Trader Jans and the fixed it up. They shortened the draw added a peep waxed and wrapped the string and put on a release string. It took her about an hour and she did all that for under $20.00. They were some of the nicest people I have met in a while. I would recommend taking the ride to Fall River to check them out. They are jjust good People.

Just figured I would add this also. My club is hosting a 3d archery shoot on 6/14/09. We host three each year, I think its $10.00 and its a pretty large curse we set up. I didnt do the one we had last month but it looked fun thats why I went out and bought a bow.

I just created a social group for this if anyone's interested in furthering bow and arrow specific discussions and such.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=61

Ata-boy, ephemeratta & oldyankee, I just joined also.​

This is great, thanks for starting the “NES Bow & Arrow Group". Now I can learn a few (hundred) things on archery and perhaps purchase a decent compound bow before summer is gone (if the coins hold up). My two re-curves haven’t been used for many a moon either. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom