• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15's - Who makes the best ones and why?

Prove me wrong....or are you actually just making the comment with out seeing one, range testing one...yup some old same old attitude....JP is a modest plinker at best but I will give it a good one....BCM...knock yourself out. it's Overpriced... your GLOCK attitude is clouding your thought process buy it cuz ya think it is good...but each has there own ideas...

Approaching FRT

Last edited:
I didn't see any other threads to post this so I figured I'd put it here.

I'm looking to buy my first AR. I would like to keep it under $1000 and ideally that would include a decent scope. I'm not looking to build anything at this time. I've begun my own research, but wanted to hear people's thoughts. The SW M&P looked like a decent option and I know a few friends that have them and are happy with the performance. Any input would be helpful.

S&W would be low tier when compared to other brands. It might be tough to get both a rifle and a decent scope for $1000 considering a decent scope could cost around that alone.

S&W would be low tier when compared to other brands. It might be tough to get both a rifle and a decent scope for $1000 considering a decent scope could cost around that alone.

+1. 1k will get you into a good rifle, but you will be shelling out an other ~500 for a good optic and mount, more for a scope/mount.

Last edited:
Nikon scope for about $250, 3-9 zoom and shows bullet drop on the reticle. Bunch of threads on red dots, Vortex makes pretty good stuff for about $200. You can definitely be around 1k for rifle and optic, though it won't be top shelf stuff. But should work well.

I'm looking to buy my first AR. I would like to keep it under $1000 and ideally that would include a decent scope. I'm not looking to build anything at this time. I've begun my own research, but wanted to hear people's thoughts. The SW M&P looked like a decent option and I know a few friends that have them and are happy with the performance. Any input would be helpful.

There's a lot of options now in the $600 range, S&W added the missing features to their M&P Sport, Ruger, now Colt has one I think. I'd probably get the M&P Sport II. Try to get one that's not Massified by the factory - better to buy the free state version and have a shop massify it. If it's not too far away, Northeast Arms would be a great place to go.

You want a scope not a red dot right? Target scope or more like a 1-4x scope? There's some great options in the $200 range from Millett, Mueller, Vortex, Nikon etc. Then you'll need a sling, mags, ammo etc.

There's a lot of options now in the $600 range, S&W added the missing features to their M&P Sport, Ruger, now Colt has one I think. I'd probably get the M&P Sport II. Try to get one that's not Massified by the factory - better to buy the free state version and have a shop massify it. If it's not too far away, Northeast Arms would be a great place to go.

You want a scope not a red dot right? Target scope or more like a 1-4x scope? There's some great options in the $200 range from Millett, Mueller, Vortex, Nikon etc. Then you'll need a sling, mags, ammo etc.

Not sure it I'd be getting a scope or red dot, but it seemed that I could get either within my price range. I wasn't counting extra mags or ammo in the total cost either.

How wouod the non massified factory version being converted by a local shop process work?

Not building will always cost more because you pay the FET on the whole gun, not just the receiver. This (http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...e-13-5-lightweight-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html) and a lower would run you about $625, gets you a floated keymod hand guard and melonited (i.e. Easy to care for) barrel and leaves you room for an M-223 and mount or a P-223 and a LaRue mount. My PSA uppers have been as accurate as my S&Ws.

Last edited:
Not building will always cost more because you pay the FET on the whole gun, not just the receiver. This (http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...e-13-5-lightweight-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html) and a lower would run you about $625, gets you a floated keymod hand guard and melonited (i.e. Easy to care for) barrel and leaves you room for an M-223 and mount or a P-223 and a LaRue mount. My PSA uppers have been as accurate as my S&Ws.

That sounds decent in the future...

Is the Colt LE6920 available as Mass Compliant? I have been looking around and didn't have luck finding the answer.

Would need someone to change the flash suppressor to a pinned and welded brake and what ever stock you add would need to be pinned.

If you can get to the north shore, I would go into Northeast Arms and talk to them. Otherwise i would just get one of the M&P Sport IIs. They are really middle tier at a low tier price.

Nikon scope for about $250, 3-9 zoom and shows bullet drop on the reticle. Bunch of threads on red dots, Vortex makes pretty good stuff for about $200. You can definitely be around 1k for rifle and optic, though it won't be top shelf stuff. But should work well.

On Amazon I got the p version for 130$ shipped . Factory refurbished . It had a scratch on the finish and that what was fixed .

I have a great solution for you. since you dont want to "build" one you can assemble one. Just pick up a completed lower either locally or order online and have transfer in and buy a complete upper form a better company. S&W makes nice stuff but it is a cheaper version. I have one in the safe but it is cheaper quality than BCM. You can fine tune what you want if you want to have the front A2 sight or a rail

Here is a standard AR upper. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Group-s/27.htm

Would need someone to change the flash suppressor to a pinned and welded brake and what ever stock you add would need to be pinned.

If you can get to the north shore, I would go into Northeast Arms and talk to them. Otherwise i would just get one of the M&P Sport IIs. They are really middle tier at a low tier price.

I saw that Mass Firearms School had a mass compliant setup for $1300 and it mentioned teaming up with a gunsmith to convert them for sales in Mass.

The SW M&P Sport II has tons of positive reviews out there. With the addition of the dust cover for this version it seems people are very happy with them and I haven't seen many complaints or negatives.

I have a great solution for you. since you dont want to "build" one you can assemble one. Just pick up a completed lower either locally or order online and have transfer in and buy a complete upper form a better company. S&W makes nice stuff but it is a cheaper version. I have one in the safe but it is cheaper quality than BCM. You can fine tune what you want if you want to have the front A2 sight or a rail

Here is a standard AR upper. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Group-s/27.htm

Maybe I'm not seeing what you are seeing... How would getting everything separately keep me around $1000 including an optic?

Is the front sight on the SW M&P15 Sport II removable?

Or would I need to spend the extra $150 to get the SW M&P15 ORC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't own one and I didn't look it up, but it should be removable like any other front sight base/gas block on a normal rifle like that. You may also have to figure out how to get the muzzle brake off to get it off which may require some machining(drill).

I don't own one and I didn't look it up, but it should be removable like any other front sight base/gas block on a normal rifle like that. You may also have to figure out how to get the muzzle brake off to get it off which may require some machining(drill).

I saw some videos online and it doesn't seem impossible.

I found a used SW M&P 15 Optics Ready.

It was taken apart so I could look down the barrel and the chrome finish looked great except for about and inch right at the point where the round is seated before firing. The rifling looked rougher right there, but I couldn't tell if it was pithing.

The guy at the gun store said that it was referred to as "shouldering" and that it was normal.

Should I be concerned about it or is it a normal feature to this AR's barrel?

No red flags were raised otherwise and the shop owner seemed good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the throat, and throat erosion is a valid concern. However, I doubt the average guy who buys an AR and then sells it to a gunshop has shot it enough to cause any notable amount of wear.

That's the throat, and throat erosion is a valid concern. However, I doubt the average guy who buys an AR and then sells it to a gunshop has shot it enough to cause any notable amount of wear.

I purchased the rifle, took it to the range and fired about 100 rounds with no hiccups.

After taking it home and dismantling it, the area of concern cleaned right up. It seems like there was just some gunk and the rifle wasn't cleaned before it made its way to me.

I'll continue to send round through it and see how it performs, but overall I am very happy with my purchase.

Back
Top Bottom