AR15 Rear sight help

I'm new to rifles and have been trying to read how to sight in my AR, But I'm confused.
I have a flat top upper. I bought a used carry handle with sight built in. All manuals I can find tell me to bring my sight to 8/3 mark, on elevation.
I don't have this mark.
My elevation knob is numbered 0 - 20.
How do I sight this in, and to fire at (for instance) 500 yards, what number would I bring my elevation to.
Please help the nieve

Nater,

It sounds like you have a 1 min or 1/2 min elevation knob. Can you find out which one it is?

how

How can I find out. It's numbered 0 - 20. 25 would be back to 0
Does that help? It sounds like it may be a National Match sight? Does that sound right?
Want me to post a pic?

Seems to be a NM sight with 1/2 min elevation adjustments.
What does that translate into. If I zero at 100 yards. How many clicks to 200....300...and so on?

It does sound like a NM 1/2 MOA sight. First off, is your rifle a carbine or an A4 (short or 20" barrel)? Also, look at the front sight post to see if it's flat or slanted.

Basically what you want to do is pick a spot on the right sight that you want to be your 200 yard zero. Make sure to leave a couple minutes of cushion. Then, adjust your front sight post to zero in.

I can give you normal come-ups for each yardage but you'll want to shoot and record what is exactly the right numbers for your rifle and the ammo you're going to use.

TonyD said:
Basically what you want to do is pick a spot on the right sight that you want to be your 200 yard zero. Make sure to leave a couple minutes of cushion. Then, adjust your front sight post to zero in.

Just to clairify what Tony said. Bottom out your rear sight. Then come up 4 or 6 clicks. Once you have done that zero the rifle and use the front site post to adjust your elevation.

Thanks

Thanks guys.
Front sight is normal square post.
16" Barrell
So it sounds like there are no yardage indicators on my rear elevation knob. It's just a matter of shooting at different yardages and recording my zero.
This sound correct?

TonyD you mind listing the normal come-ups?

Thanks

Nater, you are correct. Record the numbers for each zero, and or, the number of clicks from the bottom.

Check the top of the front post to see if it's slanted. This will determine how you can adjust the post.

Normal come-ups for .223 and .308 are;

0 -1,000 yards - 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6. These are minutes of angle and will get you on paper. Adjust from there and record your rifle's zero for each yardage you desire.

thanks

Thanks for your help guys.

My front sight is a square post. So I don't have to adjust in full turns.

Just to clarify

Normal come-ups were given in MOA...correct.
If my sight is adjustable in 1/2 MOA per click then I would double those numbers? In other words 3 MOA from 200 to 300 would be 6 clicks on my sight?

Re: thanks

nater said:
Thanks for your help guys.

My front sight is a square post. So I don't have to adjust in full turns.

Just to clarify

Normal come-ups were given in MOA...correct.
If my sight is adjustable in 1/2 MOA per click then I would double those numbers? In other words 3 MOA from 200 to 300 would be 6 clicks on my sight?

Correct 3moa is 6 clicks on your sight.

Back
Top Bottom