• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 from texas. What do I need to change to be CT complaint?

IMG_1981.jpg
[/IMG]

Hello everyone,
I am new to these forums but see loads of knowledge here and in need of your help. I have a C&R license (FFL03) and have secured my first CAR15 from a friend in Texas. I have a few questions about CT legal issues and need some recommendations before shipping it up here to CT:

From the picture you can see the gun has I believe a few no no's for CT. It has a telescopic stock, A muzzle flash and bayonet lug. Am I correct that those would need to be changed? What would I need to do to the gun to have it CT compliant?

Also any recommendations on getting the gun to me? I doubt I could ship it directly to me then make the required changes. Would it be legal if I had the upper shipped to me first and then make any necessary modifications followed by shipping the lower receiver?
As I have a FFL 03 (C&R) I assume I would have to get the lower shipped through a FFL01 dealer here in CT then transferred to me?

TIA for any input.
Regards,
Tom

From the picture you can see the gun has I believe a few no no's for CT. It has a telescopic stock, A muzzle flash and bayonet lug. Am I correct that those would need to be changed? What would I need to do to the gun to have it CT compliant?

You would need to grind off the bayonet lug, permanently fix the telescoping stock, and replace the flash suppressor with a permanently attached muzzle brake.

As I have a FFL 03 (C&R) I assume I would have to get the lower shipped through a FFL01 dealer here in CT then transferred to me?

Your C&R license has no bearing on this transfer.

You are correct, the lower would have to transfer through an 01 FFL in CT. You could also have the rifle neutered while it is still in TX, and then have it shipped to an 01 FFL in CT. Or I believe you could have the rifle shipped as is to an 01 FFL in CT and then have them neuter it for you.

I'm in MA though, so I'm not all that up on CT laws. Hopefully somebody who is can confirm.

Thanks for response Dubois. I wil have the upper shipped to me and weld the comp on (tac weld in 4 spots), my neighbor has a dremel tool so the bayo lug shouldn't be a problem. About the telescopic stock....Any suggestions as to how I can fix the stock permanently to make it compliant? Can I pin it or any other suggestions. If I pin it, any recommendations as to how its done or a link that can point me in the right direction as to how to go about it would be great.
Regards,
Tom

I have a good friend who is moving here from TX in the next few weeks and after looking at the laws you'll be chasing down, decided it was far easier to just sell his AR is TX and buy a CT compliant one here. You might consider the same unless this one has a sentimental component to it's value.

I don't get CT's assault weapons ban at all....there are many people in this state with non-compliant weapons..folding/telescoping stocks on rifles/shotguns, ak-47's,etc etc...i tend to think no one cares...why can i legally own an AK-74 but not an AK-47??..all because of the caliber!!!..its a joke

why can i legally own an AK-74 but not an AK-47??..all because of the caliber!!!..its a joke

It really is retarded. I can't have an AK in 7.62, but I CAN have an SKS, if configured properly, that's been modified to use AK mags that gives me the SAME firepower/capacity and it's perfectly legal as long as it has no more than TWO of the five "evil features" since it can now accept detachable magazines according the the "assault weapon" definition. So, a plain vanilla SKS using AK mags with a bayonet lug and nothing else is good to go. Same for if you want a pistol grip...just grind off the lug first. I'm talking about SKSs that don't come with any sort of a muzzle device, like a grenade launcher, because that's another "evil feature" hit.

Just have to be legal with 922r regarding parts count since the rifle has been modified, though.

Back
Top Bottom