AR15 Build - Trigger Guard Assembly

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I am going through a build, one slow step at a time. So far so good, but now I'm on the second item, the trigger guard assembly. I have the parts identified and the front of the trigger guard in place with the detent holding it in place. I am pretty sure I have the proper roll pin for the rear of the guard buy it seems a little bit large (diameter). How do you tap it in without breaking it? Is it a crush fit?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
it should be snug. the roll pins close a little when you push them in. I believe I just used some vise grips and closed them little by little. I lines both jaws of the vise grips with electrical tape to not mess up the finish on my receiver. if you are going to tap it in, just take it easy

Roll pin punch. That's the tool you need. A brass punch would work too.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Its normally tight.
Make sure you have support under the opposite side as to not break the ear.
Hit it hard.

Appreciate all of the advice. I have some tools on order at Brownells but may see if I can pickup a 1/8" roll pin punch locally.

I used a pair of vice grips with duct tape wrapped around the grooves so it wouldn't mar the finish of the receiver. In fact, I'm pretty sure I used vice grips for every roll pin.....

15 minutes for someone with tools, skills, and who knows what they are doing.
Figure 1/2 hour, maybe 45 min for the fist time sitting down cold having never done one before. I'm not mechanical or handy with tools by any strech, dropped the stuff down on the dining room table, boom, 35-40 min. Not really rocket science if you go over the instructional sheets before you start.

THAT'S the guide I downloaded and am using.

15 minutes for someone with tools, skills, and who knows what they are doing.

I am slowly gaining all three.

It's ok to take your time on the first one. Hell, its fine to take your time on every one.
That is a good guide.
The roll pin punches make a world of difference because they hold the punch centered in the pin. I bought these for cheap on amazon ($14 Prime) and they have already paid for themselves simply in the amount of frustration they save. I have never scratched a lower using these and I don't even tape them up at this point.

I like to set aside at least a half hour to look for the pivot pin detent that goes flying across the shop and lands in a pile of sawdust.

I like to set aside at least a half hour to look for the pivot pin detent that goes flying across the shop and lands in a pile of sawdust.

HAHAHAHAHA

Yes, well... there is THAT. If you slip on any of the pins they do get launched quite a distance.

CLEVIS PIN!!!!
Seriously. FPrice - go to your local hardware store and buy a 1/4" clevis pin. Mine is maybe 3" long.

Make sure you support the opposite side of the trigger area of the receiver when you hammer the pin in. If you don't you may crack the receiver at the trigger guard ear. Use a roll pin punch, the pin fit tight.

Did my 80% a few days ago.
Just chuck up a pin in the drill press and use the quill as an arbor press. Don't worry about hurting the press as it takes little pressure to seat the pin.
Do support the underside so you don't snap off the ear.

Back
Top Bottom