AR12 - a new twist 12G Gas Driven Shotgun

Grendel

Banned
Thoughts on this?

I spoke with Robert Rhodes, he's building a forged lower LR308 for me.

During our conversation he mentioned they're building an AR style shotgun based on a G3 magazine... meaning that it will take g3 .308 mags or a 12g magazine.

He's sending me one of his lowers now (They make the forged ones for CMMG). I'll be picking up one of his .308 uppers in a few weeks and I am really intrigued by the idea of two uppers for one lower... .308 and 12 gauge on one chassis.

He's sending me pictures tonight, but I wanted to collect thoughts.

I told him I would share this thread as well.

Last edited:
That's cool,it's about time somebody came up with a semi auto shotgun capable of accepting G3 mags.

You'd have to swap the upper, but I already have a few LR308's.

But one lower, G3 mags and 12G sounds like allot of fun, with two uppers.

I remember seeing on youtube or somewhere, some guy put together a belt-fed 12ga using an AR15 lower for fire control.

Either way, pretty cool!

Oh yeah! now I can blend my two favorite things the EBR and Trap/skeet! I can hardly wait to see the faces on those old bastards down the club. (insert evil laugh here).
I want one bad

Thoughts on this?

I spoke with Robert Rhodes, he's building a forged lower LR308 for me.

During our conversation he mentioned they're building an AR style shotgun based on a G3 magazine... meaning that it will take g3 .308 mags or a 12g magazine.

He's sending me one of his lowers now (They make the forged ones for CMMG). I'll be picking up one of his .308 uppers in a few weeks and I am really intrigued by the idea of two uppers for one lower... .308 and 12 gauge on one chassis.

He's sending me pictures tonight, but I wanted to collect thoughts.

I told him I would share this thread as well.

This sounds suspiciously like the old Atchisson gun is rearing its ugly head again.

This sounds suspiciously like the old Atchisson gun is rearing its ugly head again.

I don't know anything about "the old Atchisson gun " but we'll be doing a buy through Chester Arms. He's a dealer here that I work with occasionally and I am incredibly excited about this. www.chesterarmsllc.com

I have a metric ton of G3 mags, they're WAY cheaper then most .308's out there.

Interesting idea - I picked up a CMMG G3 lower a couple of weeks ago. A 12ga upper would be a great addition. Deer hunting, skeet & trap with an AR - the possibilities for annoying Fudds are endless.

It would be most useful if the shotgun upper was able to swap barrels (I'm thinking a rifled slug barrel and a interchangeable choke smoothbore) without tools, or with hand tools not bench tools. If swapping barrels were that simple, I'd be willing to let my 11-87 go!

Interesting idea - I picked up a CMMG G3 lower a couple of weeks ago. A 12ga upper would be a great addition. Deer hunting, skeet & trap with an AR - the possibilities for annoying Fudds are endless.

It would be most useful if the shotgun upper was able to swap barrels (I'm thinking a rifled slug barrel and a interchangeable choke smoothbore) without tools, or with hand tools not bench tools. If swapping barrels were that simple, I'd be willing to let my 11-87 go!

I should have pics shortly.

Last edited:
Damn.. you are *not* helping me resist putting together something very similar in .308 (and of course later 12 ga... see what you started?!). I originally thought about doing the same lower, but this upper:
http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/upper308-20.htm

Question for you.. how much gunsmithing had to be done to get everything working? I read somewhere that the CMMG lowers are off-spec, so the triggers have to be worked on a bit to fit properly.. as well as the upper having to be milled to fit the wider G3 mags. Was this the case for you?

Damn.. you are *not* helping me resist putting together something very similar in .308 (and of course later 12 ga... see what you started?!). I originally thought about doing the same lower, but this upper:
http://www.pof-usa.com/upper/upper308-20.htm

Question for you.. how much gunsmithing had to be done to get everything working? I read somewhere that the CMMG lowers are off-spec, so the triggers have to be worked on a bit to fit properly.. as well as the upper having to be milled to fit the wider G3 mags. Was this the case for you?

No idea:all I have is pictures and a few promises from Fidelis Arms... who incidentally, I've heard makes the g3 set up for CMMG. Fidelis did swap out my lower I bought in the group buy with one of their G3 set ups, that will take one of their 12G uppers. Still waiting for that lower to come back to me.

I am resizing the other pictures they sent and will upload them shortly.

Edit: That upper is awesome, BTW. Looks like it would fit one of Fidelis' bigger magwell (G3) lowers, that also (according to them) supports their 12G upper.

Last edited:
More pics, just re-sized them. This is their upper. I believe you have to mod the G3 mags to take the 12G shells...

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 47
I don't know anything about "the old Atchisson gun " but we'll be doing a buy through Chester Arms. He's a dealer here that I work with occasionally and I am incredibly excited about this. www.chesterarmsllc.com

I have a metric ton of G3 mags, they're WAY cheaper then most .308's out there.

My mistake, the Atchisson was a complete full auto shotgun based on the AR design. It surfaced 30 years ago and never went anywhere. A local shooter became a dealer and had one full auto demo. He collected a bunch of money in deposits and was never heard from again. This gun surfaces every once in a while when someone tries to revive it.

This 12 ga upper is intriguing; if the mag holds only 10 rounds it might actually be legal in MA.

Back
Top Bottom