Ar10

cdiperri54

NES Member
I've had older regular semi auto rifles, so I know I've shot my last round when bolt locks back, how does that work with ar10 or 15s with charging handle?

The AR rifles, as far as I've come to understand, are designed to lock the bolt back after the last round in the magazine has been fired and ejected.

Failure to lock back is a sign of a problem, most likely in the magazine.

I've had older regular semi auto rifles,

What makes you think that the AR series is/are "irregular" or any different from other, older rifles?

The mag follower pushes up on the last round hold open keeping the bolt back.
Push the mag release, drop the mag, insert a fresh mag. Press the bolt hold open to send the bolt forward stripping a round and closing the bolt fully.

The AR rifles, as far as I've come to understand, are designed to lock the bolt back after the last round in the magazine has been fired and ejected.

Failure to lock back is a sign of a problem, most likely in the magazine.

What makes you think that the AR series is/are "irregular" or any different from other, older rifles?
Seems he's referring to reciprocating bolt handles as "regular." So he expects to see an obvious sign it's locked back.

10-22s and AKs will give him more trouble, what with no last round hold open.

Don’t overthink it OP.

If it stops shooting on its own, you’re experiencing 1 of 3 things, an empty mag, a malfunction, or you’ve been hit and on your way to Valhalla.

Look at the bolt/dust cover area, see if it’s locked back or still forward in battery. discern which it is, and simply reload or correct the malfunction as needed.

ok, so there is no obvious sign the bolt is locked back as with an exposed bolt that can be seen without the tilting or whatnot to see an open bolt chamber,
don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about it, was just wondering if there was an obvious sign, never had an ar platform rifle before the one recently acquired so will have to get used to it

ok, so there is no obvious sign the bolt is locked back as with an exposed bolt that can be seen without the tilting or whatnot to see an open bolt chamber,
don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about it, was just wondering if there was an obvious sign, never had an ar platform rifle before the one recently acquired so will have to get used to it
Once you shoot it a few times you’ll start to feel what it’s doing, shoot it more and you can generally tell if it’s a malfunction ‘click’ or if the bolt has locked itself back, certain sounds and feels, but yes, quick tilt and view is your friend.

Some magazines have a window and I think there may be one either out now or coming out with a digital display.
Or you could just mentally count down.

When you get a chance, time/weather wise, go shoot with someone that has some experience already with an AR platform.

Buy yourself some plastic dummy rounds that fit your weapon and have the other person load a few mags for you (mix of live and dummies) so you can’t see where the dummy rounds would be in the mag. While shooting those mags, the dummy rounds will act as a malfunction for you to practice making these corrections when they’re needed. Do this a few times and I’m sure you’ll understand much better how it works and feels.

With me, I think that what I really notice when the bolt holds back is the fact that I did NOT feel the bolt going back into battery. The bolt going into battery is a more positive thud than just the bolt holding open. Kinda similar to the gun failing to go into battery for me anyways. You're either out of ammo of she didn't go in.

I bet someone would be willing to let you try one out. I am in Epping. I mean, it is easier to show you

Legit question, notwithstaning any ribbing.

Look at the bolt/dust cover area, see if it’s locked back or still forward in battery. discern which it is, and simply reload or correct the malfunction as needed.
Does the open chamber make a whistling noise if there's a crosswind?

Some magazines have a window ...
I'm sure that's an actual selling feature, but...

The more some operating operator is rolling his rifle to look at magazine windows,
the further away I want to be stationed from them. It'll probably just yield a Sky Pop
some day, or maybe land a round on the range floor.
[shocked]

But sooner or later someone's gonna yaw around with,
"... what do you make of this...?".
[angry]

You can see that the bolt is open. Nothing to do with the charging handle. A quick glance at the bolt and you'll know.
If you keep your left hand off the bolt catch,
you can probably even give the chamber a Guadalcanal Midnight Prostate Exam
to see if the bolt's locked back vs. in battery - without moving the gun or your eyes.

But if you trip the bolt catch,
you could end up with Armalite Finger.

... A quick glance at the bolt and you'll know.
Or train a bird to perch on your right wrist...
0cc69de91af97adce387062b0e283d85.jpg

...and ask it...
a-swallow-will-tell-you-72088642.jpg

We'd need an indoor at this time of year. I think renaissance firearms is the closest. I have not shot there yet. May need to buy ammo there. I have AR-15 and an AR-10 Not sure if this weekend is good with the weather.lol Or it may be better. Don't know traffic patterns yet here. Moved here from Michigan in October

They are about 20 minutes from my place. I have shot at Ganite State gunshop. They are about 45 minutes from my place. Both have rifle ranges

Back
Top Bottom