Ar Uppers and lowers

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
I am looking at building another AR. So far all my past ones have common name maunfacturers (Colt, Bushy, DPMS etc) What are the better fit/finish manufacturers out there? Noveske, LMT, YHM etc Also where in Mass/southern NH can I get them?

Dave

One of my friends who obsesses over the EBR (he has put together way too many colts to be in any good state of mental health) won't touch anything that isn't a colt, BCM, or Noveske. He claims that BCM and noveske are the closest machined parts to Colt's specs.

If you read and believe anything from m4carbines.net, it seems to uphold that opinion of his.

BCM uses a company that forges parts for a large military contracted company that needs to pass ISO9000, USGI TDP, etc. They also make DPMS stuff, but the blanks are built to looser specs and with lower quality control to get a higher yield out of the parts.

If you're looking for EBR snob rifle, I'd go Colt/BCM/Noveske. And for the sake of what I hear from others: LMT. It'll cost you, but I bet it'll fire reliably.

a milspec lower is a mil spec lower, people will come out of the woodwork and tell me I am wrong but if you are building a shooter and not a show piece you will be fine with any of the commonly used names . I have 2 colts an armalite and an NES lower. All are great and I have had no major problems, I would even buy a no name lower.. one of the things to consider is that the difference in price during a build between a top name lower and a no name lower is not huge money in relation to the build so in resale the Ad would state "Bushmaster AR" instead of "Joes garage"

a milspec lower is a mil spec lower

I tend to lean with you on that... but I also know that military suppliers are held to standards that they have to meet, because the government has 3rd party quality checks for their military contracted product (atleast, they require that you supply proof of this when you win contracts, etc). So, in my eyes, it's 'safer' to go with a company that builds it for someone that is holding them accountable for their product. I can machine an upper receiver and sell it to you claiming milspec. . . I could have even hit the proper critical dimensions within the designed tolerances, but did I use a milspec material or save a buck? Is it properly finished? Will a spring yield when it's not supposed to? So I think EBR snobs do have some method in their madness.

Your typical consumer company doesn't have this check and balance (uncle sam keeping them honest) unless you've got an independent reviewer taking parts to a metrology department somewhere... which I so want to do at work [smile]

But along the lines of what you said, I think that if it shoots, it shoots![wink]

I have searched high and low about the beginings of the AR parts. I have not really found a lot of info on who or where the forgeings are made. I also would like to know how many AR manufactures actually forge their own uppers and lowers and manufacture their own parts kits. I dont know of any AR manufacture that has claimed to make their own springs.
Barrels: how many barre manufactures are out there. I have read alot on AR15 and carbine and any other AR based website I could find. Have not found any to claim to make their own barrels ?
How much do the manufactures really make themselves. The most info I got is STAG makes a lot of there own parts.
Dad runs the part makeing plant which does military contracts. The son assembles rifles.

I have searched high and low about the beginings of the AR parts. I have not really found a lot of info on who or where the forgeings are made. I also would like to know how many AR manufactures actually forge their own uppers and lowers and manufacture their own parts kits. I dont know of any AR manufacture that has claimed to make their own springs.
Barrels: how many barre manufactures are out there. I have read alot on AR15 and carbine and any other AR based website I could find. Have not found any to claim to make their own barrels ?
How much do the manufactures really make themselves. The most info I got is STAG makes a lot of there own parts.
Dad runs the part makeing plant which does military contracts. The son assembles rifles.

I have heard that Stag does a lot of work for Colt. I just built an AR on a Stag lower and was delighted with the quality of the Stag part.

How about yankee hill machine directly. If I had known they existed before I got my 1st and 2nd AR I would have tried them.

How about yankee hill machine directly. If I had known they existed before I got my 1st and 2nd AR I would have tried them.

I walked into YHM, I live close, and bought some parts to complete my build. The stuff is good, but they don't offer any discounts, you pay the suggested price they have on the parts. I found that it is about 30% higher than other places, but then again, no shipping or waiting for delivery.

Seamsealer

Back
Top Bottom