AR receiver recommendations

What's the REALLY good stuff? I'm a noob. Still learning

Basically you pay a big premium in Massachusetts for a fully built rifle, or the receiver that technically is the "gun" (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if it was made prior to 1994. It means that you can add a bayonet, grenade launcher, suppressor, collapsible stock, et. al. Is that stuff good stuff? I suppose, but you can still build a very good AR without that crap.

Basically you pay a big premium in Massachusetts for a fully built rifle, or the receiver that technically is the "gun" (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if it was made prior to 1994. It means that you can add a bayonet, grenade launcher, [STRIKE=strike]suppressor[/STRIKE] flash hider, collapsible stock, et. al. Is that stuff good stuff? I suppose, but you can still build a very good AR without that crap.

FIFY. We peons cannot be trusted with suppressors in this state.

As to the pre-ban receiver... if you've got the cash to afford one, it's nice to have the option to add these "evil" features. But you can make a very nice AR-15 that complies with "assault weapon" restrictions.

Last edited:
No suppressor in mass no matter what more or less...

Full auto on a ar15 only if you can find a legal lighting link/ or legal dias.. Pre or post ban ar....

Pre ban lower , Basically any stock you want and bayonet lug..

Grenade launcher, isn't that basically another gun .... So if you could go buy one nfa couldn't u slap it on any gun really?

If you just want the look they make under slung flare guns that look like them.

Just get a green card and hunt for a legal m16 lower then you don't have to worry about anything cause its a machine gun......
Having a legal lighting link or Dias makes ur gun a "machine gun" so one you remove those u have to convert to awb rules.

Last edited:
FIFY. We peons cannot be trusted with suppressors in this state.

As to the pre-ban receiver... if you've got the cash to afford one, it's nice to have the option to add these "evil" features. But you can make a very nice AR-15 that complies with "assault weapon" restrictions.

Oh right, I always forget that silencers are a no go unless you have a class III I believe? Don't you need a stamp just for a free state? Forgive me, I'm just coming out of the cloud of confusion that is MA gun laws.

Last edited:
Basically, whose logo do you think is the prettiest?

Thats why I like Spikes.

One other thing. Lowers are often best purchased locally. Once you figure in shipping and transfer, that $79 receiver is $125.

Oh right, I always forget that silencers are a no go unless you have a class III I believe? Don't you need a stamp just for a free state? Forgive me, I'm just coming out of the cloud of confusion that is MA gun laws.

In a free state, you send in an ATF form 3 or 4 for the transfer along with $200 and 3 months later you get it back with a treasury stamp. You are then good to go.

In MA, you must have your FFL, and I believe have paid the SOT, although I'm not sure about htat.

Either way, its not an easy thing. While in most states getting a FFL is no big deal, MA doesn't allow you to have one out of your home.

Also, a SOT cost about 10X as much as a simple FFL from the feds. My manufacturers FFL cost $150 for 3 years. A SOT cost $500/yr.

In summary, Its not worth all that to have a suppressor in MA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom