AR Lower That Takes 6.8 And 556?

My buddy was saying he wanted to get a AR lower that took the 6.8mm and 556 round. He was saying that he would get two uppers and swap between the 6.8 and 223. I have never heard of that, anyone else know anything about this?

Any standard AR-15 lower will take either 5.56 or the 6.8 SPC. T[STRIKE]he mag bodies for both are identical. I am not sure however if the 6.8 needs a different follower though. [/STRIKE]

I may have spoken too soon. You may need dedicated 6.8mm magazines. Sorry

Steve

Last edited:
Its all the same. You can take any 5.56/223 and switch out the barrel, bolt, and magazine to shoot 6.8. Everything else (lower, lpk, bolt carrier, upper, etc) is exactly the same.

I have a S&W standard AR lower that I switch between my 5.56 and 6.8 all the time. I have also dropped the 6.8 on my bushmaster lower. Takes about 30 seconds to switch. I have heard of guys using standard mags for the 6.8 but I think that they are not reliable in their feeding. I have mags that are specifically made for my 6.8 and they seem to be a little heavier in their construction and obviously have different followers. I know that they make lowers that are specifically listed as 6.8 lowers but thing this is just a ploy to get a couple of more bucks for them. They are the same lower.

I have a dedicated 6.8 upper complete with Charging handle and Bolt carrier group, I keep my 6.8 mags separate and just swap uppers back and forth. I keep the upper in the smaller compartment of my AR's soft case. Lots of fun. Go to the range and shoot both.

Sucks having to clean two uppers when I get back though.

Back
Top Bottom