AR Lower Goodness

Back in Nov I got in on an AR stripped lower group buy run out of another board. Double Star lowers for $78 each. Took a while (the group buy swelled from "we need to get at least 100" to 4000 receivers. How'd you like to handle that group buy?[thinking]), and the price slipped up to $84 each, but I was traveling last week near the shop that handled the group buy, so I stopped in and picked mine up instead of shipping. Saved the $11 shipping and the transfer fee, so these are $84 each to my door step. What a smokin' deal.

Outside the gun store where I picked them up.

0504091824a.jpg

The booty:

IMG_4245.jpg

The receivers are pristine. I wish I was better with a camera so you could appreciate the beautiful finish on these. Smooth, even Teflon coating that makes the receiver want to squirt out of your hand. The consecutive serial numbers are a nice touch, too.

Almost ready!

IMG_4247-1.jpg

OK, OK, maybe I'm a bit ahead of myself. Now I need to start the hunt for a good deal on LPK's. I think one may end up as a dedicated .22LR, with a Spike's or CMMG M4 ,22LR upper.

lowers look great!

And no... I would NOT want to run a 4000 person group buy! [shocked]

lowers look great!

And no... I would NOT want to run a 4000 person group buy! [shocked]
Technically, it turned into a 4000 receiver buy, as opposed to a 4000 person buy. Many people bought multiple receivers (like me), including some who bought lots of them (running their own mini-group-buys within the group buy), but the hassle is still post-graduate level. For example, many people paid by credit card, and when the credit card processing company got that volume of charges from a up-to-then small gun shop (who probably never processed that many charges in a year,) they balked, and wanted to charge horrendous fees up front, so those who used CC's had to repay their fee with checks/MO's instead (I was one of these). Then Double Star had a problem with a sub-contractor, and they raised the price $6 per receiver, so everyone had to pony up $6 more, and some people were pissed by that and wanted to cancel, so their money had to be refunded, and others didn't want to pay, and instead wanted to try and force Double Star to legally honor the original price, etc, etc, etc.

So here's this poor guy taking everybody's order, checking each one for the 10% who can't f***ing add. Then having to get all the CC-users' checks/MO's and make sure they got credited to the right guy, and what about the 10% who never get the word. And then having to deal with the price increase, and get everybody's "delta" money ($6/receiver), and make sure that gets credited to the right guy. And what about the 10% who can't f***ing add, and sent the wrong amount, and the 10% who never got that word. And the guys who are pissed and want a refund because of the cost increase or this it taking too long. And the vocal 20-30% who are calling/e-mailing/PM'ing every day. ("Where's my money/refund/receiver/confirmation?" "How come you didn't answer my call/e-mail/PM right away?" "You're an idiot/ripoff artist/lazy slacker.")

If I ever thought of organizing a group buy, this would have scared me off for sure. But I sure am glad I got mine, at pre-hysteria prices, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom