• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR barrel and bolt change to change caliber

I have been thinking of building an AR. The thing is I would like to put one together in 7.62x39. I am pretty mechanically inclined - so I know I could handle the build. I know the parts are available - I can get barrels in 7.62x39 and a bolt made for 7.62x39 - the thing I don't quite understand is this:

To build the upper do I just need to get the appropriate barrel and bolt for the caliber I want - and then the upper receiver is standard? I know the lower receivers are pretty much universal (except sometimes for .308) - is the same true of the upper receivers?

Is there anything else that might not work if I was to build the rifle myself - would gas system function with the 7.62x39 caliber - would I need to play with buffer springs, etc?

The reason why I am thinking of a build vs. just buying already configured - is that getting a flat top in the 7.62x39 caliber does not seem to be easily available.

The stripped upper for the 223 will work. You need a barrel and a bolt it builds just like a 223 upper.
I have Stag stripped A3 flat top uppers (with bolt assist and dust cover installed) in stock for $134.00.
Let me know if you want one.
Also if you need additional information on this build call me.
1-413-579-1994
Thank you
John

calsdad I can get you a complete AR15 7.62x39 flat top upper for around $550.00 depending on what you want for a fore-end and muzzel break or do you want a non-thread target crowned barrel.
Let me know or call me to discuss
John 413 579 1994

Back
Top Bottom