• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR accuracy and ammo

I'll be honest if I can shoot sub MOA 1 day and 3 MOA another I'm blaming me before anything else.
With a off the shelf bolt action rifle with any 223 ammo and bushnell scope I can shoot 1 MOA with any non match ammo (American eagle, PPU, Etc.). All 55g. Some days I can't even get close to 1 MOA. Now you all got me thinking it could be the ammo lol

I had some bad luck with 69gr PPU in my HBAR upper. It generally shoos about 1-1.5 MOA, found some ammo (75 gr PPU and hand loads) that got me down to 0.5 MOA, but 69 gr PPU had me about 3-5 MOA. Went back to the 75gr and got 0.5 again. Results where the same over different range trips when I was doing some load and velocity testing.
The way some barrels like certain loads, there are some hated loads.

I had some bad luck with 69gr PPU in my HBAR upper. It generally shoos about 1-1.5 MOA, found some ammo (75 gr PPU and hand loads) that got me down to 0.5 MOA, but 69 gr PPU had me about 3-5 MOA. Went back to the 75gr and got 0.5 again. Results where the same over different range trips when I was doing some load and velocity testing.
The way some barrels like certain loads, there are some hated loads.

I love 75gr. Hard to beat no matter who the ammo is from.

So whats the cheapest I can get into reloading .223? Anyone upgrading and selling their cheapo single stage setup??

If you can't find a good used deal, look for a turret press when the big sales come around. It's a good starting point, a little more advanced (less headache) then a single stage and not as expensive as a progressive.
If you are technical enough, save up and get a Dillon 550 and someone to coach you. But that' generally not advised.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020237/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press-deluxe-kit

First, get someone to teach you the details of reloading. Will save you some time, money and maybe a hospital trip.

Last edited:
If you can't find a good used deal, look for a turret press when the big sales come around. It's a good starting point, a little more advanced (less headache) then a single stage and not as expensive as a progressive.
If you are technical enough, save up and get a Dillon 550 and someone to coach you. But that' generally not advised.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020237/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press-deluxe-kit

First, get someone to teach you the details of reloading. Will save you some time, money and maybe a hospital trip.

But less entertainment value for us.

I got some Wolf Gold to test out. Still disappointing results to compared to Fed Gold Medal. I couldn't get any Norma Match 77gr, but looking around for places that might have it.

So to do the mean radius calc you would take the X/Y locations of the shots off of a point below and left of the shots take the square root of the X mean absolute deviation(excel AVEDEV) squared plus the Y mean absolute deviation squared to get the average radial measurement from the center of the group. Calculating the mean radius was fun, but probably not all that useful unless I want to calc the precision of groups that are 10 or more shots.(sounds expensive).

So Wolf gave me about a 1" mean radius and 3" extreme spread and Fed Gold medal gave me a sub .5" mean and sub 1" extreme spread. I shot smaller shot groups on the gold medal because it's 3x the cost and I had less of it to shoot.

If I can shoot 1/2 MOA extreme spread by reloading I'm probably not at the point I need to upgrade the barrel... yet..

YzrKZbaCSWt5xXW9yu7h0IB-yzEgBk6XVofiVGbCL4KnzfJGuYfZXTlfDRKZ88dygGkGklFBGJESmM128kWnZU6owLZHEnP51t-HvTVLGpbwYX1Jw_HRfO5PNLZ7oQOyhPKSmJBvfgoe47h_2y9-MzP-R3YC-wFkxKDRJ78N-yT9GH6Ym5GPoIg3GY0mRMHr7RK5-BeUxe1WrnG9DNamDmGfq7YZi6Fg919B4b-wATgiUu5ZuZC55xqSnhHI1ubPn_FO6dDI_qTrs5qUDwI-6M9iihQKcC28qbtD1Md62jawg1i1pLw1mDIwWO79xyt6UBcIWACdtfSct-pvXld3lWJ02tB9CF78f85h_7i4zKMemUsWmlYODYQPfPWfii2lsEpEPqr05E6yw4pfM2NR05F_a7p2Gcs1UrPgfILLWkrgjXS7HHTNqHnzAaKPOxLmwBQoGn9yZRN5OocM13wpEezbHCRmPqsjcD_CBoY9UljrFcShK-7eFbcfXSVRX2L0n7lcUJ6wLi_ChkIzQFUzy820ZgCHY7koVWfcsQ_s7jeW9IduuMV0bHf11R7LsqqDrWHgW_nOdLxxkdTYj7M-Lql8fT3fmPyPAxeJ9gdf0xElrFo3N6rG=w640-h480-no

bon-ZfrHpefb5m9gAJKXiBCKwisAEpBaOZo8fR_VsBDLfA4EcJUK53hKVCLyy74B4qyoBdTs2iIv3AALVAWTgMrSTzZKyJ9u5hgIlXhxBCSNfBZyT1vMgbgl2x2aRE_1wCfclVVmfRW8_TVTSLdcf9zt-SbVRAiLtNI6tas5y-Yv4G6sSGBZgjChUrA-p5_dsykUuSBcB47WIQljNp-zHCBZH2YBcS3xDiwlu46o4QI4BG2nAapFgUUaQauLmB4d5LCB9Y9uv7nIHNzTk0Ebcmy8P8widBPINE3KKFgDhzt9rI_Zg936z3-DfiCQ6pf8fpSvHr8zOUZrhEO6BqgQ6rtH2rhTMMNl6OL3dyxJwYwctNwS_ai0WpWsTe-DA5rJtu1pLCwSoeHdeUVB1KZB1GBWQeYyeYd_7d5nXeT16nhDuH_DTb-HmJpYK1Ois3hUnqa5uelDJhyopq-Q9RSgOa0k2c7Bdx8mcwAgLLbeCkBx_wV4OjnuO9xJ5MXcJbuoqXRQLt6-uLRT7zOw3sCSOyxQrDXf0i1PJQXS-S-4rf4qdMcS_bM3qNNf_5eSdwofiRGjOKAYay1_k_ciE_DXDMn4f1Oc2BK3QVRZ8lLD4r9PRajSunRv=w1053-h282-no

Still investment in reloading seems the cheapest option. The cost of 1000 gold medal match rounds vs the cost of materials to reload and equipment is about the same and after that the cost is the same as the cheap stuff about .25/rd if you reuse your old brass.

Last edited:
Wolf gold is cheap brass range ammo, not something I would try to measure in MOA. Minute of steel torso is more appropriate.

Must be Barrel since I do decent with Wolf Gold. If you wanted to take my upper and give it a try just for fun you are more than welcome but you might be over 1 1/2 hrs away

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom