AR-15s for Dummies

how about taking a ar15 lower and making it a .50bmg...

Picture_1.jpg
Couple of members of NES have these. One of them lives in So. Maine.

Ross, you've got numerous options.

Myself, I'm a build it myself kind of guy, but buying a complete AR isn't a bad idea either.

Sounds like WW has offered to help you out, and there's a good way to learn the rifle.

Beware of any funky fancy doo-dads like the changeable mag well. They may work OK, but you are going to end up losing some parts interchangeability.

Stick to the known names, and you'll be OK. Colt is good, generally high priced. Bushmaster and Rock River are better priced, and their products are good. LRB, Barrett, Les Baer and a few others make premium stuff. They are the quality they claim, for the most part, but, they are also higher priced.

The best suggestion I can make is to keep it simple, and go with an M16A2 clone (20" barrel) or an M4 series clone (16" barrel). Semi-auto, of course. Then, you can branch out from there, by swapping out a few parts to make it what you prefer.

Hey, Snapshot & Scrivener - can we dial back the rhetoric a bit? No need to get testy about it.

I hope you included my name just to make Scrivener not feel focused on. I'm not at all getting testy. I'm giving my honest opinion of his response and everything I said, IMO has merit.

Which of my comments, in your opinion, were rhetoric?

Remember, before you make accusations of "getting testy" and whatnot, you can't see facial expressions or hear tone of voice on the internet.

At some point, I may be interested in building my first AR.

If the lower (stripped or complete) is the main component which makes it a gun, am I safe in assuming that lowers can not be bought directly from out of state companies mentioned here?

and

The other components for the uppers (barrels etc) can be bought directly from the out of state companies?

Correct. The lower is the regulated part. The BATFE considers an AR lower as the "gun". You can order an upper on your own and have it shipped directly to you.
Once you assemble the lower and upper into a functioning firearm, you file an FA-10 with the People's Democratic Republic.

I am wet behind the ears as well. I have a quick question on topic. What parts makes one of these left handed? Is it just the lower or is it the lower and the upper? If it is just the lower will a left handed lower be a versatile as a right handed? Or are there limitations created?
Thanks.

I am wet behind the ears as well. I have a quick question on topic. What parts makes one of these left handed? Is it just the lower or is it the lower and the upper? If it is just the lower will a left handed lower be a versatile as a right handed? Or are there limitations created?
Thanks.

It's actually the upper that would make it left handed. I think Stag Arms is the only Co. mass producing them. They are the same as a righty upper except that they eject on the left ( all tacticool parts and accessories will still attach). As far as the lower goes you can just add an ambi safety and mag release and it will function as lefty or righty.

Back
Top Bottom