ar 15 won't cycle

hi just bought a new r guns 20'' bull barrel upper with m4 feed ramps took out today and would not cycle but would always eject the spent one ended up shooting it one at a time shoot great other than that any help would be great thanks wayne

hi just bought a new r guns 20'' bull barrel upper with m4 feed ramps took out today and would not cycle but would always eject the spent one ended up shooting it one at a time shoot great other than that any help would be great thanks wayne

Check the basics:

Properly lubricated
Ammo
Magazines

Sounds like lower powered ammo and a lubrication issue to me.

Was this purchased compete or built yourself? If built could be gas block timing as well.

Last edited:
good brass ammo all cleaned and oiled 2 mags that work in my kids ar even tried his lower on my new upper same crap

Did you clean and properly lube it before taking it out to the range?? I'd make sure the BCG is fully/properly lubed up first.

You could also reach out to the manufacturer with the issue to get their suggestions. I'd wager that they'll have you clean and lube it up (properly lube the BCG) and test it again.

Had the same problem with my brother in laws r-gun 18" super bull upper one shot will not feed second shot tried my mags which all work great it's lubed and clean the gas rings seemed extra sharp to me haven't found the problem yet.

Seems like the rearward travel of the bolt is not far enough to grab the next round from the magazine, if it is ejecting the spent round. Or, the magazine is not fully seated.
Also, have you tried just swapping the bolt carrier groups with your son's?

Last edited:
What ammo, are R guns good? You have a 2nd AR that functions. You eliminated the possible problem being the lower.
Did you put his upper on the R guns lower?
If load one round into a mag load cycle and shoot does the bolt hold back?

Here is the manual one of the marines at our club pointed out to me. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=bcG1phflr1SXYmBrQpZNFg&bvm=bv.55819444,d.cWc section IV 2-10 has all the trouble shootong

Last edited:
First: load one round into the magazine and fire the gun....does the bolt lock back on the empty mag?

If it does not it is either undergassed (whether by underpowered ammo or mechanical reason) or you have the wrong weight buffer, or there is mechanical obstruction to complete rearward travel of the bolt carrier.

Keep us informed.

If you can not pick up another round after the first one on a new upper most likely it could be this:

Check for proper gas block and tube alignment with the gas port on the barrel. Slight cant in the block or poor alignment will make it under gassed.

Also make sure your bolt gas seals are all offset from one another.

ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P link above doesn't work google this ARMY TM 9-1005-319-23&P
Although most ARs will function on most 223 ammo they are designed around the use of the 5.56 military spec ammo. Which is loaded to a higher velocity and preasure of a lot of the 223 ammo out there. With that said. It takes some pretty weak rounds not to cycle a decent milspec AR. I have loaded some very light rounds just to see how low it will go. Not until I was down into the minimum powder charge did it show signs of short recoil.....

Last edited:
One additional thing to check is a blocked gas tube. Clean it with a long pipe cleaner designed for gas tubes, and/or blow it out with compressed air.

What is the gas system length? If it is carbine gas on a 20 in chances are the dewll is too long and you are over gassed. The buffer is probably bouncing off the end of the tube causing the bolt to slam closed before the next round has reached the fully up position. In which case the BCG just rides over the round instead of chambering it.

When it fires do you feel an abnormal amount of recoil? You can usually feel the thump of the buffer slamming against the back of the tube when you are way over gassed. This is the type of thing they should have noticed after assembly but, if they only fired one test round and said "gun went bang ship it", they could have missed it.

Last edited:
My first barrel I used a free float so I had no hand guard cap. Had to worry about it being clocked right and the right gap between the step and gas block.
A friend walked in the room and started yelling "don't kill your self" I was like wtf and it clicked.
I was sitting at a table blowing down the muzzle and the rest of the naked barrel was blocked my the table .. Nearly chipped my teeth , use a air gun lol.

shoot not good check basics as said take good care to clean try different ammo maybe

For your benefit I left out all the the capitalization and punctuation in the above.

Back
Top Bottom