AR-15 using 7.62mm rounds

I was told that I could buy an AR-15 that uses the 7.62mm round. I've only been able to find a Colt AR-15 sporter available. Does anyone else know of any others offered...

Other than ammo costs, is there any practical reason or advantage in having an AR chambered in 7.62x39? Especially if one already owns an AK variant?

Last edited:
Other than ammo costs, is there any practical reason or advantage in having an AR chamered in 7.62x39? Especially if one already owns an AK variant?

Nope, and there are is one really good reasons not to get one... High cap mags that work basically don't exist. The Frankenmags work OK, but are finicky, and the preban ones are old these days, and the feed lips are often messed up. C-Products is working on new mags, but they won't be available here...

--EasyD

Probably going to get the STG2000c instead..Looking at 450.
The ar15 is far more accurate than any AK any day of the week..The 7.62 rd has far superior penetrating power. I saw a demonstration where the .223 bullet pentrated a cynder block and a piece of PT wood.. The 7.62 blew the cynder apart, penetrated through the wood and blew out another cynder block..So an AR with the 7.62, (i think) would be great..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0

Last edited:
Not intending to piss anyone off, but this seems to me to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and in fact gets you the worst of both worlds. You're getting shitty inaccurate ammo in the jam-o-matic AR design. OK, yeah, 7.62 x 39 is cheaper than 5.56 (at least as long as it can still be imported) and the 7.62 round can do more damage than the 5.56 round, but the trade off doesn't seem worth the effort to me. I'd rather have an AK chambered in 5.56 NATO (I do, actually). Or, if you want the AR platform, get an AR-10 chambered in 7.62 NATO.

Back
Top Bottom